AXLES : Summit vs E-Revo with pix and analysis

This is for all of you guys who have broken your axles and were shocked at how much summit axles cost compared to e-revo axles ($60 vs $25).

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . AXLES

summit........metal ends........97mm upper shaft length..........encircled shaft end
    e-revo.........plastic ends .......107mm upper shaft length........"U" shaped shaft end

Summit vs E-Revo axle comparision picture:

I have been running an e-revo axle on my original summit (on the LONG DIFF overhang side) with out issues. On full compression the longer erevo shaft reaches its max with about 2mm of play remaining within the blue dust boot - but with NO BINDING (at least on mine, but the total shaft length is controlled by how far you turn the two screws on the axle carriers "knuckles" by the wheels, my screws are showing approx 4mm of thread and runs fine) SEE PICTURE

stock summit axle on the overhang diff side at full compression:

e-revo axle on a summit on the overhang diff side at full compression:

But I did some further testing, I attempted to put an erevo axle on the over hang diff side of my second summit and to my suprise the e-revo axle circular connecter was too wide to fit. The bulkhead of the summit has a "hood" above the diff (only on the overhang side) which contacts the larger e-revo connection point (SEE PICTURE). This hooded portion does not appear to do anything special and 2mm of dremel work would make it fit fine. I probably could have forced it on, but tapping it with the dremel would be a much better idea.

e-revo axle contacting the "hood" of the summit bulkhead:

So in conclusion E-revo axles are not as strongly designed as summit axles (plastic stress points and "U" pronged connections vs metal stress points and encircled connections), but the e-revo axles can withstand up to 6s lipo power on the brushless e-revo with conservative slipper set-up. AND YES THE E-REVO AXLE WILL FIT ON A SUMMIT (INCLUDING THE LONG OVERHANG DIFF SIDE) WITH SOME MINOR CORRECTABLE DETAILS.

I will post this in the summit FAQ for further reference
    Last edited by noir 522; 11-05-2010 at 10:36 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Qualifier
    *FINALLY*

someone who has photos, dimensions and *FACTS*

incredible!

thanks so much for doing this

so what is needed to make the erevo cvds fit? part #5451R
    Last edited by stinger30; 11-06-2010 at 12:08 AM.
    erevo, ubuntu.com

RC Racer
    wow so the revo axles actually sit straighter and flex better then summit ones ayy i bought summit ones then cancelled them then bought them again grr o well no going back no but the e revo ones seem to be better working with the suspension

Quote Originally Posted by lukebro47
    wow so the revo axles actually sit straighter and flex better then summit ones

AHHH - No. Sorry for the misleading picture. I was attempting to show that THEY FLEX THE SAME - its just in the first summit the springs are cranked up tighter and was harder to compress (due to the springs - not the axle).
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

Quote Originally Posted by stinger30
    so what is needed to make the erevo cvds fit? part #5451R

I also attempted to insert erevo steel cvds on a previous day - they would not fit. The issues;
    1) the steel cvd fit only on the non hanging diff side - simply too long for the other side
    2) with the extended rear arms (stock on the summit) you are required to use the "extended diff cups" also to keep the cvd from popping out. I think its part 5333"R" -but . . . .
    3) e-revo owners normally have a flatter and stiffer suspension setup (stiffer springs and sway bars) when compared to summit owners so with the extended rear arms and the summits higher, softer and more flexible suspension set up the cvd still had a tendency to pop out due to the extreme angles. And I am certain using the LT rockers did not help.

Of course you could mimmick the erevo's flatter stiffer suspension and the cvd will fit on the non diff hanging side but you would have to sacrifice the summit's higher stance and the extra flexibility. Also if you go this route you could experiment with SHORTER steel cvds from other vehicles (savage, firestorm etc), they may fit the diff hanging side.
    Last edited by noir 522; 11-06-2010 at 08:23 AM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Champion
    Check this out!!!
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

RC Racer
    ? can i ask what does this prove?
    does it prove the erevo axles are as good as summit ones AND THAT I SHOULD HAVE BOUGH THE $15 ONES OF EBAY INSTEAD OF THE $70 SUMMIT ONES!!!GRRRRRRRR haha nah i made a mistake this time o well

RC Enthusiast

Tires\Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by quadiak
    Check this out!!!
    Sorry to hijack. What tires and wheels please?

I've without a doubt run the living snot out of mine over and through every type of terrain There is I've had it for over a year and it's taken a few serious beatings..I've broken a total of 1 drive shaft{My fault jammed wheel}and one axle{my fault jammed wheel again dooooh}I bought a complete set off of ebay for 50 bucks or so shipped as the ends were getting worn and the parts to rebuild them cost more than that.So i have parts to fix it on the trail.It proves that you could use revo axles if you want to for going fast with less flex If revo guys are switching to summit axles there has to be a reason for it my guess summit axles are stronger It sure isn't because there cheaper.The way i use my truck I don't think the revo axles would stand up to the challenge The tires are rc4wd rock loc's i think .If 'm not mistaken the rims are 40 series narrow proline Cheyenne beadloc's hard to tell the rims from the pic
    Last edited by jamann; 11-07-2010 at 01:36 AM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by lukebro47
    ? can i ask what does this prove?
    does it prove the erevo axles are as good as summit ones AND THAT I SHOULD HAVE BOUGH THE $15 ONES OF EBAY INSTEAD OF THE $70 SUMMIT ONES!!!GRRRRRRRR haha nah i made a mistake this time o well
    Proves nothing. I just noticed it on that old bakushan thread. IMO you did not make an error the Summit shafts are the best shafts for the summit. In fact they are also the best shafts for an ERBE. I also just ordered another set from fleabay for the ERBE I am currently building.

However if you look closely at that pic the LH shaft inner ujoint looks pretty close to binding. There is a reason Traxxas did not put the old shafts into the Summit. And I don't think it was because Traxxas likes wasting money on either r&d or parts.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by aorquiz
    Sorry to hijack. What tires and wheels please?
    Rc4wd rock lok tires. I borrowed that pic from this thread http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=512605
    Last edited by quadiak; 11-07-2010 at 01:36 AM.

RC Champion
    here ya go guys, right from the horses mouth(so to speak)

http://monster.traxxas.com/showpost....2&postcount=10

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by noir522
    I also attempted to insert erevo steel cvds on a previous day - they would not fit. The issues;

thanks for doing this
    erevo, ubuntu.com

RC Champion
    A really cool, I mean possibly ultimate extremely cool update to the axle situation. check out this thread, esp. the last few posts