Thread: Is Series Safe?

RC poster

Is Series Safe?

Just wondering how many people run two packs in series with the speed pinion. I did it one time when I first got my Rally and after about five minutes my car shut down, my batteries were smoking and the ESC was fried. I just got back a new ESC from Traxxas and am scared to do it again. Im thinking it was a faulty ESC or battery because it was only a few minutes of running. Is it safe to run in series?

RC Qualifier
    You still have to be carefull. We have been running 2 nimh in series on this platform with the 1/16 Revo and Slash for over a year now and now the Rally. Need temp gun and limit to 10 min runs for me. These were my temps with 1/16 Revo. I see the Rally ruinning a little cooler for the most part

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by radicalray; 11-04-2010 at 04:33 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Something doesn't sound quite right. Were you running off road? Running Larger wheels and tyres? Have binding in the drive train? Constantly doing start/stop driving? Running on a surface that causes lots of resistance?

If you are running on a smooth surface and doing longer runs, rather than lots of stopping and starting, you should be alright. Did Traxxas say the ESC was faulty?

RC poster
    Traxxas didn't say. But they sent me a brand new one, so it must of been. I was running it on a nice smooth parking lot of an old grocery store. The ESC must have had a short or something because it wasn't even hot and the motor was just warm. It burned up the two Duratrax batteries that I had in series and when I got it home i plugged the stock Traxxas battery into the ESC to see if it was broke the battery heated up almost instanty and melted the solder points. It was pretty scary. Duratrax replaced the batteries and Traxxas replaced the ESC and stock battery. I am wanting to try series again but don't want this to happen again. Hopefully it was just a freak occurrence.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sounds like a faulty ESC. I'm assuming the batteries were 7.2volt NiMH's? I would try it again and see what happens.

Was it a premade series adapter or one that you've made?

RC poster
    Yeah, they were 7.2v and it was the Traxxas brand series adapter. Im going to run it in series tomorrow after work with the shell off and keep checking the temps.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If already happened to you once, why are you trying to do it again? a friend of mine made that mistake three times.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yeh, all the evidence points towards a faulty ESC. It is a very good idea to buy an infra red temp gun to keep check on your temps.

RC-Fan, the ESC is rated for twin NiMH packs even for the Mini Revo which has got larger and heavier wheels and tyres.
    Last edited by eemmaaxxxx; 11-04-2010 at 05:25 PM.

RC Competitor
    I really don't see the need, or the point, for the overkill of 14.4volts.

Quote Originally Posted by mini-robbie
    I really don't see the need, or the point, for the overkill of 14.4volts.
    To each their own, some people like going really fast.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    If ya can't handle it man, don't be jealous of a guy who can.

RC poster
    I had the same thing happen to mine. Bought it, ran a pack through it normal (1 pack, not series) then about 3 hours later ran it again in series with all traxxas approved parts, and something fried after about 3 minutes. sent everything in to traxxas and hopefully getting new parts back. I can tell you I will not be running series again, don't see the point if there's a chance it could happen again. car is plenty fast on a 2s lipo that you really don't need series w 2 nimh packs in my opinion. to each their own though

RC Qualifier
    Due to the lack of air flow on these cars the ESC's and motors get VERY hot and thermal shut downs are extremely common. My sugestion would be to run 3s lipo. That will cut the temps down a bit and you will still get a lot of speed.

RC Qualifier
    I don't see a problem with Series. I've done it a few times. I MUCH prefer the longer runtime that parallel provides. Especially since my play areas aren't HUGE (just a tennis court), so 50+ is a little unwieldy. I can barely keep it at 30 before I have to brake. But that's why I have a pair of 2S and a pair of 3S LiPo's on the way. I'll just run either in parallel and be in good shape!

RC Enthusiast
    You guys cutting hole in body for air flow as well? I do with my merv. I just hate that it take away from the look of the body

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Merx
    You guys cutting hole in body for air flow as well? I do with my merv. I just hate that it take away from the look of the body
    The whole idea of cutting out the windshield, or cutting a hole for air flow, in the body of a mini-revo (or any other truck body) is to keep them from blowing over when jumping because they trapped air under the body and acted like a parachute - but since these won't (maybe) be getting a lot of big air they will be no practical need.

The whole idea of cutting out the windshield, or cutting a hole for air flow, in the body of a mini-revo (or any other truck body) is to keep them from blowing over when jumping because they trapped air under the body and acted like a parachute - but since these won't (maybe) be getting a lot of big air they will be no practical need.
    That is about the funniest post I've read! Show me one person that has had issues with their truck "parachuting" to the ground. There is such a small catch area the air can get into that this really doesn't hold any air, pun intended.
    I drilled a hole through my Revo (nitro) windshield to allow more airflow to the engine and I'm betting that most, if not everyone else on this forum does not drill holes in their truck bodies simply to reduce the parachuting effect during jumping.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G
    That is about the funniest post I've read! Show me one person that has had issues with their truck "parachuting" to the ground. There is such a small catch area the air can get into that this really doesn't hold any air, pun intended.
    I drilled a hole through my Revo (nitro) windshield to allow more airflow to the engine and I'm betting that most, if not everyone else on this forum does not drill holes in their truck bodies simply to reduce the parachuting effect during jumping.
    What a rookie. Maybe since you're into nitro you don't understand, and maybe since you've never raced you've never seen it. But why should I expect any different from a basher.

Run along now....

What a rookie. Maybe since you're into nitro you don't understand, and maybe since you've never raced you've never seen it. But why should I expect any different from a basher.

Run along now....
    Your condescending tone is not only uncalled for, but also entirely unwarranted. People don't cut holes in the windshield to avoid flipping over, it's for getting cool air to the electronics, ever notice how EVERY nitro car at a race has a cutout to get air to the cooling head? What double G posted is 100 percent correct, and what you said is wrong. Maybe that's what you do, but to call out him, or in other threads other people, is just immature. Especially when you obviously don't know what you are talking about. You should sit back, relax, and READ some posts before you start telling everyone else they are wrong.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Qualifier
    +1 Racers make sure there is enough airflow to cool off their motors whether nitro or electric. I bet even if I went through my mags right now I could find over twenty articles saying the same thing. But it is true that with the SLASH and any SCT that we have been cutting out holes in the rear of the body to let air out in order to keep the nose down while jumping on the track.
    JESUS says: "Fix it B4 it Breaks!"

I have issued several warning points and do not want to lock or delete the read but I will if everyone cant keep things civil, helpful, and friendly.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    Yea robbie where did you get that from. Its for keeping things cooler....

Nick, when you say the batteries are smoking do you mean literally, or figuratively just because they were THAT hot? If you choose to put a hole in the body for cooling, as long as it directs the air over the motor then you should be good. Since the traxxas 1/16th cars (unlike their 2wd counterparts) have the motor mounted centrally, the hole in the body will actually help with cooling. Had the motor been behind the shock tower and hanging off the back, the hole wouldn't really help all too much.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Qualifier
    I guess the article I read where Adam Drake says that he cuts holes in his electric buggy and countless other articles in order to keep the electronics cool are they wrong? But... honestly they actually do recommend a bigger hole towards the rear of the body to get a better airflow over your electronics.
    JESUS says: "Fix it B4 it Breaks!"