RC Qualifier

VXL Motor Rebuild

It was time to replace the bearings in my VXL. I went and ordered some 5x11x5 bearings, the same size that comes in the rebuild kit. I went to put them in and found my motor has 5x11x4 bearings in it and the new ones I got were too big.

I also noticed the washers/bushings in my motor were different than what comes in the rebuild kit. My motor had a 6.4mm long bushing and a couple 0.1mm washers on the rear of it and that was all.

Anyone have any idea whats going on here??
    Snow

Is your motor the one that is sealed on the front?
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77
    Is your motor the one that is sealed on the front?
    How do I tell the difference?
    Snow

RC Champion
    Any pictures?

This one is the sealed one...

But, according to the rebuild kit, this is what's included: Rebuild kit, Velineon 3500 (includes 5x11x4mm ball bearings (2), 2.5x5mm BCS (with threadlock) (4), front and rear bushings)

Did you get the bearing info from Tower???

Last edited by danielhr77; 11-03-2010 at 05:37 PM.
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77
    This one is the sealed one...

But, according to the rebuild kit, this is what's included: Rebuild kit, Velineon 3500 (includes 5x11x4mm ball bearings (2), 2.5x5mm BCS (with threadlock) (4), front and rear bushings)

Did you get the bearing info from Tower???

Mine looks just like that one.
    I just ordered the bearings by themselves, the motor isn't that old just seen some water so the bearings were rusting.

This is where I got my info...
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSGY2&P=7
    http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Rebu..._p/tra3352.htm
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Velineon-3500

I figured between the 3 they had the right info.
    Last edited by silentsnow31802; 11-03-2010 at 06:08 PM.
    Snow

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Meh, I would just file down the little brass spacers- if you have a lathe that would be good, or just improvise one with a power drill and sheet of sandpaper....
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness
    Meh, I would just file down the little brass spacers- if you have a lathe that would be good, or just improvise one with a power drill and sheet of sandpaper....
    I do not have anything precision that will do that. Besides for the price I would just rather properly fix the motor.
    Snow

RC Racer
    Hows that, ive just had that same problem today myself, but i went all over the place lookn for 5x11x5mm bearings (apparantly there hard to come by, only helicopters use that size),
    Anyway i got some bearings 5x11x5mm and ive got the same problem, looks like TRAXXAS has changed the design of there motor without updating any parts/support info etc, i found this on there web site-http://67.211.36.157/products/access...500_070706.pdf so there should be a newer vesion of that rebuild kit youd think, im just gonna go and buy some 5x11x4mm i reakon....

Ive just sent Traxxas an email asking them if there is newer version of the rebiuld kit avaliable....

RC poster
    slashblues!!!! wake up every mornin blow the dirt out of my slash- look for all the parts that have turned to trash -will it be a bearing or a pinion or a seal- lord have mercy thinkin bout goin back to two wheel-cuzz there aint enough hours in the day, and there aint enough money for my credit card to pay

RC Competitor
    Called Traxxas customer support and asked about bearing size. I would of been better asking my 95 year old mother. They told me what ever the spec sheet says that's what it must be. Called back and the next rocket science told me measure them and then you will know. To think they pay these people for there wise info.

RC Champion
    Thats a brutal response. I have done this by buying the kit for $13ish in the direction it showed 2 motor tyapes and different bushing configurations.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ild-with-pics.