RC poster

Cool First RC in 25+ Years - Summit to E-Revo - Lego Tail Lights - What's Next? Advice?

Last RC was a Team Associated RC10 - Decided to see what 2016 had to offer for fun, My 1/16 Summit VXL arrived on October 11 and I haven't stopped since... Today all that remains Summit specific are the rear a-arms, I couldn't give up that 10mm of wheel base... RPMs are in the toolkit

As assembled right now, I can pretty much run 3s LiPo in parallel without breaking the drive-train on every other charge, keep in mind that my "bashing," as you call it today, is probably pretty tame compared to most of you.

Also have enjoyed painting the 2 new bodies I picked up, thinking the JConcepts Illuzion might be next.

I am curious to see what you all think of my build and also would appreciate some advice on a few things:

1. Are the TQi Telemetry Add-ons a worthwhile venture? Does it improve the driving experience long-term or is just a cool techie add-on that gives you some insight into how your vehicle is performing?

2. Have the Center Diff waiting to install, what weight oil should I run? I drive on a mixture of backyard dirt, grass and street. Just finished shimming and cleaning the rear, used #30000 Mugen Super Silicone, and that seems to be great for the rear. Any suggestions for the Center and Front? With the current setup (no center diff) I can be at about 50-60% throttle (power) and then still pull a controllable low wheelie when I accelerate from there. Concerned I may lose that if I install the Center.

3. The real question is What's Next? Looking for some opinions... Do I keep modding this 1/16? Maybe go with a Motor and ESC upgrade? I really can't imagine this thing being good for anything besides speed runs if it were any faster... OR... Do I see what the larger vehicles have to offer? If I were to go 1/10 scale, I am torn between the Rustler VXL and the E-Revo Brushless from Traxxas. Do any of you have both and if so could you share your thoughts on their performance?

Ok... Enough rambling for now... As you can see I am very excited about revisting this great hobby from my younger days!

Here are some pics followed by my current setup:

List of Parts/Mods:

Proline
    F-150 Raptor Body
    Trenchers Mounted on Desperado Black Wheels

RPM
    E-Revo Front and Rear Bumpers
    E-Revo Front A-Arms
    Axle Carriers

Traxxas
    Clear E-Revo Body
    E-Revo Wheelie Bar
    Steel CVDs and Center Driveshaft
    Aluminum Push Rods and Toe Links
    Heat Sink
    Series 1 Power Cell 6-Cell NiMH Battery, 1200mAh X 2
    1400mAh 11.1v 3-Cell 25C LiPo Battery X 2
    Series and Parallel Battery Connectors

Team Associated
    21141 Shims (differential)

Other
    TGY-390DMH High Performance DS/MG Servo
    Custom Lego Tail Lights !! Haha
    Last edited by PlaidGopher; 12-09-2016 at 01:43 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I like it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    hey there, sweet looking truck!

1. They are both. I have the telemetry in a e-revo, can watch battery life motor temps and rpms. some nice things to monitor / see without having to drive the truck over to you and take the cover off. so you could see increases run time, just look at the app every few minutes.

2. sorry no idea, never ran a center diff in a traxxas truck. have a bunch of 4x4's no center diffs, so I dunno.

3. I have both the e-revo and the rustler... they are two very different beasts. the e-revo is setup almost 100% to the 1/16th scale traxxas trucks.

if you look at the chassis with the body off its scary how its just a bigger version of it. The revo is the monster truck. the rustler is a truck.

My e-revo is so heavy, it can rip thru 4 foot tall tumbleweed patches 300' deep lol. all you see is dirt and twigs flying up in the air behind it.

rustler gets caught up on bushes because its so light comparatively .

the rustler is a lot cheaper, and can go much much faster than the e-revo. The upgrades are also cheaper.

Hope this helps!

edit: Welcome to the Forums!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by fourdub; 12-15-2016 at 07:47 PM.
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

RC poster
    Thx fourdub, I appreciate the feedback! Excellent advice about the the E-Revo vs. Rustler and how weight plays a big factor for traction.

And as far as the telemetry is concerned, i think the motor temp would be great to keep an eye on in real-time, do you find it to be accurate?

Just this weekend I was running the MERV/Summit on the snow/slush covered street in front of my house. I geared it down to the stock Summit gearing 50/16 i think? But with wheels constantly spinning and rarely having to lift off the throttle it did eventually overheat. Do you find that if you monitor the motor temp, you can ease off for a minute or two to keep it from going into protect mode?

I WILL say that playing in the snow was the most fun I have had with an RC to date, but this hobby is still just getting started. Not sure if Traxxas will block this but... The GF asked what I wanted for Xmas, didn't want to break the bank so after weeks of research, I opted for a 1/14 Losi Mini 8ight-T RTR. i have seen that they perform similarly to the MERV so I am looking forward to comparing the two. And I am stoked to have two RC vehicles for when my buddies stop over, unfortunately, their ladies don't seem to be as understanding as mine when it comes to spending money on FUN if you know what i mean! LoL!

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    Yes and No.

Some guys swap the motor temp wire and stick it on the ESC, and monitor their ESC temps.

on the accuracy part, that goes both ways, the motor is like 220 degrees inside when the case hits 160 degrees. so depending on where you put the telemetry wire.

2nd is, I think it is pretty accurate as I hit the motor with a temp gun and its always within 4-6 degrees of what my temp gun says. Its "trustable" but I still use my temp gun to verify.

I personally do what you said, when the motor temps start getting close to 140, I park it next to me for a while and let the truck cool down a bit.
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

RC poster
    So not sure if Traxxas will like this pic but the post does pay a heavy compliment to their Velineon 380. So I got the mini 8ight t, the stock motor in it fried the first day and surprisingly it wasn't even on 3s it was only on 2s (i did not gear down as recommended though).

The way I have the Losi setup now is pretty rad, but its running the TRAXXAS motor!!! I've got Proline Big Joe II's (originally bought for the Summit) mounted and the Velineon 380 with the stock summit 16t pinion. Its on 3s and seems to be doing ok with temps (keep in mind it's winter here). Very impressed with the Traxxas motor, I am clearly pushing it hard with the bigger tires, 2 tooth gearing increase and 3s.

All that being said however, if I had to recommend just one to a person looking to the back into the hobby.

The Traxxas would be the winner, with a few must have upgrades. The Summit/E-Revo platform offers quite a bit of flexibility for all different types of driving. Keep in mind I have never driven on a built for RC race track. My typical run is a few speed runs up and down the street, zipping across the front yard that has some pretty thick grass and then to the backyard where it is all dirt with a few mounds for small jumps and of course donuts galore. The Traxxas is awesome to really start to learn about different setups, it is quite forgiving if you overheat it due to over-gearing, can take a pretty good hit (especially if you add RPM A-arms) and the parts are readily available even at brick and mortar hobby shops. Also there are a few different bodies available that will test your skills with a spray can and some masking tape!

Ok well I just wanted to post the outcome of my Summit/E-Revo vs Mini 8ight T adventures!

One last question (for this thread)....

What do you all recommend for a Motor and ESC upgrade that will fit both? it will prob end up in the Traxxas first, seeing that its motor is currently in the Losi, would love to find a Sensored setup but seems that there aren't a lot in the 28mm size
    Happy New Year!!!
    Last edited by PlaidGopher; 12-31-2016 at 07:13 PM.