RC Enthusiast

Wheels and Drive Shafts

Hello all,

A few quick questions: I started running 3s in my 4x4 pede vxl and the talons won't stay on the road at all. I'm fairly sure I want something like the mashers on it. RC Planet has traxxas maxx 2.8 mounted on the chrome wheels. Will these work? I'm also looking at the proline mashers on the desparado wheels, but there are front and rear sets. From what I've read, the vxl 4x4 uses fronts for both, is this correct?

I'm also realizing I'll need to upgrade the driveshafts, but the MIP's are pretty expensive. Can anyone suggest some viable alternatives? I've not changed the DS's before so I need something that comes with all the parts I need, ready to go. I appreciate any support you can give.

Thank you

The maxx tires really only look good, Get the mashers. Also, MIP's MSRP is over the top.I got both my sets under 100, so look around. Also, no, you want the rears not the fronts. Mips will save you money in the long run, and are your best bet. Also, you can try the Traxxas set, but they're meh
    Made in Taiwan, bashed in 'murica

The maxx tires are big and the rubber is really stiff. They wear out quickly on pavement. They seem to do okay on the grass but don't bite as much as trenchers or badlands.

It looks like the Mashers come pre-mounted so you won't be able to tape them...if you're worried about the tire ballooning at all on 3s this might be something to think about.

MIPs, Tekno or Traxxas on the axles. Research them all and find the option that's best for you.

If you end up with heavier tires and more grip be sure to check your wheel nuts for snugness before each run. When I first starting running 3s on the velineon system with some trenchers it wasn't very long before I stripped the hexes on them.

After that I had heat issues and got on the non-stop upgrade train for a while. Get yourself a heat gun if you don't have one. Things are good now after putting in lots of money and time. I also have a stock vxl that I only run on 2s and I've never had to upgrade or fix anything on it...and it's still pretty fun to drive!
    Last edited by czlynx; 12-21-2016 at 07:31 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Would MIP part numbers 11109 and 11110 be the right ones? I've never worked on this part of the truck, any special tools I'll need or lock tight to install them? I appreciate all of your help!

Those are the correct part #'s. And you will just need the hex drivers that came with the truck as well as some locktite and grease. MIP does send you loctite and grease with the axles if I remember correctly though.

Side note here, be very stingy with the loctite, a drop is too much, I learned that the hard way.
    "Gone racing"

DO NOT USE THE STOCK HEX DRIVERS! They will strip out your screws, and ruin the drives.
    Made in Taiwan, bashed in 'murica

RC Enthusiast
    Everyone's advice is much appreciated. Ordered the mashers and the MIP's. Should be fun. I guess next is an upgrade to the slipper.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zypher View Post
    The maxx tires really only look good, Get the mashers. Also, MIP's MSRP is over the top.I got both my sets under 100, so look around. Also, no, you want the rears not the fronts. Mips will save you money in the long run, and are your best bet. Also, you can try the Traxxas set, but they're meh
    They're actually really nice but the boots need to be replaced on them as they rip like a regular cv axle on your car would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I've had the traxxas rear cvd axles running on 3s since they came out. I have only broken two stub axles but I've gone through three tekno bones and one cup. MIP's are heavy but almost unbreakable with the exception of the stub axles. Tekno is the only stub axle that I have not broken (they are 6mm) on 3s but of course I bent or broke three bones and one cup. I am currently trying out the Proline HD's up front. With all that confusion ... they all have a weak spot, stubs, bones, weight. Overall my most durable have been a tie with Traxxas and MIP so far... We'll see how these Prolines work out. My truck is a converted p4de with a slash 4x4 chassis and MM2 w/2650 so it is a bit heavy also.