RC Competitor

Question Do shock springs get weak over time?

Iíve been driving my Pede 4x4 VXL just about every night after work since I got it a few months ago. When I first got it, I toyed around with the suspension settings and was able to make it handle much better than it did out of the box. I had it set up with where the front and rear a-arms where just slightly higher than parallel to the ground when the truck was at rest.
    Now fast forward a few months, and Iíve had to put several additional spring spacers in the shocks in order to keep the ride height where I want it. Itís like the springs are getting soft, and more spacers are required to keep the height set where I want. Is this common? Or is something else going on?

Springs shouldn't soften unless you are bending them way too far. That shouldn't happen on the car. Take the shocks off and make sure everything in the suspension moves freely. Also consider the weight of any upgrades you have added.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

The stock Traxxas linear springs normally don't weaken over time, but I've personally seen the progressive springs found on Slash's and Big Bore shocks get weak over time.
    Is owning 25 RC's too many?... Nope!

Wolfslash16, thats interesting! Ive had integy progressives for over a year and have no issues or weakening, they perform just as good as the day i bought them. I bash hard and everyday possible. Maybe its just those particular springs are made with different metal???

92.5 mph Rustler (Rusty 1.0 R.I.P.)
    78 mph Rustler on 4s (Rusty 2.0)
    86.9 mph Stampede 4x4
    86.9 mph Stampede 4x4 & 92.5 mph Rustler (R.I.P.)

Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    Wolfslash16, thats interesting! Ive had integy progressives for over a year and have no issues or weakening, they perform just as good as the day i bought them. I bash hard and everyday possible. Maybe its just those particular springs are made with different metal???
    The Traxxas progressive springs have the top and bottom "softer" coils weaken really quickly. Any truck I've ever gotten that's had those springs on them has had them replaced with the normal liner Traxxas ones.

It's these tighter coils that go bad.

This picture actually shows how the springs flatten out. Normal truck weight has them completely collapsed.

Is owning 25 RC's too many?... Nope!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    The Traxxas progressive springs have the top and bottom "softer" coils weaken really quickly. Any truck I've ever gotten that's had those springs on them has had them replaced with the normal liner Traxxas ones.

It's these tighter coils that go bad.

This picture actually shows how the springs flatten out. Normal truck weight has them completely collapsed.

Wow thats good info! Thanks for sharing, so obviously they are different metals or maybe its the tempering process too, either way, it looks like not all "progressives" are the same.

92.5 mph Rustler (Rusty 1.0 R.I.P.)
    78 mph Rustler on 4s (Rusty 2.0)
    86.9 mph Stampede 4x4
    86.9 mph Stampede 4x4 & 92.5 mph Rustler (R.I.P.)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by imq707s View Post
    I’ve been driving my Pede 4x4 VXL just about every night after work since I got it a few months ago. When I first got it, I toyed around with the suspension settings and was able to make it handle much better than it did out of the box. I had it set up with where the front and rear a-arms where just slightly higher than parallel to the ground when the truck was at rest.
    Now fast forward a few months, and I’ve had to put several additional spring spacers in the shocks in order to keep the ride height where I want it. It’s like the springs are getting soft, and more spacers are required to keep the height set where I want. Is this common? Or is something else going on?
    Do you store your truck on the tires? I store mine on a stand, both to avoid flat spots on the tires and to take the weight off the springs (just in case). I haven't noticed any softer springs since I bought the truck more than three years ago.

the socks do not get weaker i've had my stampede for around 5 years and store it on the wheels and my springs are just as good as 5 years ago
    rc's explained: drive, break, fix, repeat