RC Qualifier

Been out of the loop for a while, need advice on tires

Hi!

I have been quite buisy the last year and sadly this has meant that I havn't had much time for RC. As a result of this I have no idea of what tires are good for the Summit, both for bashing and trailing at the moment. This brings me to my question: I do a mix of trailing and bashing, and I need new tires. What do you recomend?

Now, you might think "hang on, the stock tires are pretty good, why would you want to buy new ones?"

That's a very good question. The stock ones are very good, and I really like them. However I've had them since I bought my truck 3 1/2 years ago, and it shows. They are full of water and some of them have rifts in them. Because of this they are unbalanced. I guess I could by a new pair of stock tires, but I want to try something new 😄

Thank you!
    This is a signature.

RC Racer
    Pie tastes better with Cool Whip!

RC Racer
    I think Trenchers are the best all around tire. Have them on Summit(X's -trail and snow,and the taller version for speed ), my E- Revo,Mini-E, Telluride and my Rally.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by snowslider View Post
    Hi!

I have been quite buisy the last year and sadly this has meant that I havn't had much time for RC. As a result of this I have no idea of what tires are good for the Summit, both for bashing and trailing at the moment. This brings me to my question: I do a mix of trailing and bashing, and I need new tires. What do you recomend?

Now, you might think "hang on, the stock tires are pretty good, why would you want to buy new ones?"

That's a very good question. The stock ones are very good, and I really like them. However I've had them since I bought my truck 3 1/2 years ago, and it shows. They are full of water and some of them have rifts in them. Because of this they are unbalanced. I guess I could by a new pair of stock tires, but I want to try something new ��

Thank you!

Judging by your user name you will want a tire that you can use in the snow. I made this video last winter to show how well Claws work in the snow in comparison to Trenchers. Only tires I own that are worse in the snow than my Trenchers are my Mashers.
    I'm not hating on Trenchers, I like mine and use them just as much, if not more than any of my other tires. But, they're better options.

RC Champion
    I use the Trencher X for Bashing and a little bit of trailing too and absolutely love them

Yes they are wide and heavy but really perfect for my needs.

Edit:
    The test by planker just shows us that wider tires work better in the snow but other than that is has no significance.

By the way Trencher X are much wider that normal Trenchers and work well in the snow, probably not as well as the claws since the claws seem to taller too allowing more ground clearance.
    Last edited by soundmaster; 10-11-2014 at 03:11 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the replies! Those losi tires looks nice, but so does the Trenchers. I took a look at the Proline website, and I found these tires: http://prolineracing.com/tires/rock-...terrain-tires/
    The rock rage tires also look nice, does anyone have experience with these?
    This is a signature.

RC Racer
    The test by planker just shows us that wider tires work better in the snow but other than that is has no significance.

More to it than that. The extra width helps, but both the Proline Mashers and Big Joes I have are wider than either the Canyons or Claws but do not perform nearly as well in snow. I don't have Trencher X tires so can't comment on those. Maybe the harder compound of rubber used on Proline tires hinders them in the snow. I don't know.

RC4wd Mudslingers are also very good tires. Especially once lugs are trimmed to open up the tread pattern. My buddy has trimmed MudSlingers on his Summit and they have outperformed my Losi Claws in a lot of applications.

I have no experience with rock rages. Not much to find on youtube either.

RC Racer
    Rock rages are horrible bashing only tires. The name was chosen by a contest, not actual rock crawling/climbing.
    Summit Tacon 2650kv, 17/68, SMC 9400mah,Lem diffs

In my opinion it really depends on the surface you run on most.
    I really liked the trenchers
    They worked well here for me as a overall tire.On the rock the losi's work very, very well but need a good servo to turn under load.I should stay out of this.....
    I have known tire issues....
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for helping me guys! I went to my LHS to look at tires, and they only carry Pro Line tires for the Summit. Out of the Pro Lines for the Summit the Trenchers seems quite nice, but I can't decide normal ones an the x's, anyone have some advice for me? Thank you!😀
    This is a signature.

RC Champion
    I run trencher X for bashing and little bit of trailing. Love them. Trenchers are probably better for crawling since they are not as wide and no offset.
    Last edited by soundmaster; 10-18-2014 at 05:34 AM.

RC Champion
    I run x's on my summit, but I cut the foams down quite a bit. They were just too hard for me stock. They wouldn't dig in well. Once I trimmed the foams, they were much more pliable, and traction greatly improved. They still go full-speed just fine too.

The regular trenchers have a tight tread pattern. They'll benefit from cutting some lugs off.

I prefer thinner tires to wider tires, because the weight is distributed less and the tires don't "float" as much over objects. So, I probably would have purchased regular trenchers if I'd done more research at the start. Then I'd probably have cut the foams down some and cut some lugs.

RC Qualifier
    I run the Xs on all my summits. In the winter I will swap out for stocks or mudslingers. The Xs in my opinion are the best all around tire. Some tires do one aspect better than Xs but for everything all around the Xs are the way to go. I have run all types of tires on my summits.

RC poster
    I love my modded mud slingers. Hard on slipper clutch and drivline but they are INSANE for bushwacking and handle brushless speeds increadibly.

RC Qualifier
    gimmie your rock crushers jamann

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas Summit RX8 first run: http://youtu.be/E09D6XTSByM

honestly u should get trencher xs if you want the best performing tire but if you want the tire which will make your summit look amazing u need to get rock crushers with beadlock axial rims they are so awesome. im gonna invest in some soon but they are pricey.watch this video and look at the tires ( sweeeet)