RC Competitor

Buy an older 27mHz Summit

So I found this older Summit with a 27mHz radio system that I can buy cheap.

1) Can I just buy any 4 channel 2.4 Ghz radio and install in the truck? Would it then be possible to use low/high gear and lock the diffs?

2) Have there been any major upgrades on the truck if you compare the oldest model to the newest?

Thanks!

If it's less than $300 then buy it. Besides the radio system and the color schemes there were no addidtional updates to the summit (that weak differential part issue was fixed long ago).

Yes any 4 channel radio would work as long as you have that electronic channel splitter thingy (its inside the rx box on the 27mhz summits, so your summit would have one). You would need that box to split the diff channels into two signals (the stock 2.4ghz traxxas radio is actually 5 channels).

But yes talk him down to around $250 (based on older technology) then buy it.

iT IS IN GOOD GENERAL SHAPE YES????
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Competitor
    Thanks, he is asking around 300 USD but I am only willing to pay around 250 for it.

So a 4 channel TX and RX is the minimum for radio requirements?

RC Qualifier
    You can go here and buy this http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/traxxas/...-receiver.html Its both the transmitter and receiver. You may need the receiver box or not depends on what's on the older Summit as far as a receiver box. You can also call Traxxas support and they have a power up program. You send them the old transmitter and receiver and they will send you new ones for a discounted price. I did the power up program for an old emaxx. It was great.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Enthusiast
    My summit is also an old, 2009 model that came with the 27mhz system. I replaced that with a Spektrum DX4C radio that came with a Spektrum SRS4210 receiver. It works great! I bought it used for $400, so hopefully you get a better deal than I did. I didn't know much about RCs when I bought it.

I also had to replace the 775 motor and ALL of the servos except for the rear diff lock servo, as within a few months of buying it they had died. If you have to replace the steering servo(s), that would be a good time to switch to a single steering servo set-up, especially as in doing so, you can ditch the "Y" cable needed to split the 2 steering servos into the aftermarket receiver.

Everything else on mine has been solid. I've beaten the crud out of mine, and it's been super fun to drive. I broke one of the original A-arms, one of the original suspension links, and since replacing those this truck has been abused with no breakages. I also replaced the axles, but that was just because I was annoyed by the torn boots.

$250 would be a good deal, even if it needed some repairs in my opinion. They retail for around $700 new at my hobby shop.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the reply.

We have still not reached an agreement on the price. I will let you know how it turns out