RC Racer

What Tire Glue Do You Use?

What do you guys find works best for gluing on new tires on your Summit wheels?
    "For we walk by faith and not by sight" 2 Cor. 5-7

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnybravo View Post
    What do you guys find works best for gluing on new tires on your Summit wheels?
    Are you using brand new, never used, wheels?
    If so just put it the tire on the wheel, and pull the bead away placing a few drops of glue release and go down the bead about every 1/8 of the way around putting glue.

Now there is a ton of other threads on glueing tires, and that method I just said may be wrong. Look into other threads read them and go from there. That said I do my method and have no issues.

Best of luck! If you have any other questions ask away!

I use losi's thin glue for my MT tires. Seems to hold up really well and not come loose. Dries ridiculously fast, so make sure you have everything lined up right or your going to end up with a messed up tire. Also, everytime I glue tires, I tend to always glue a finger or two together or to the tire. Do not be like me.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Racer
    That's a CA type glue? This is my first tire change so I want to do it right. Will be using the old wheels so I will need to de-bond the existing tires. Will clean the new tires with a de-greaser (Simple Green?) to remove mold release compound. I notice some guys online were using a big rubber band to hold the tire bead tightly against the rim while gluing. Any other tips are appreciated, looks like a pretty simple operation but you always learn something the first time around.

I use dollar tree superglue. Its thick so it gives you time to get it straight on the bead. But It also takes longer to cure. It was strong enough to hold the tires on a 3.3 nitro revo. Some people tape their tires on the inside while they are off but I never liked doing that.
    ------
    How to Rc: Send them high, watch them die.

I use duratrax glue, it's made specially for tires (yes, I know it's just super glue) and I use the same process as Zach2600, place a drop about every 1/8 to 1/4 inch.
    If you can turn ya ain't goin fast enough!

Here is a good tutorial on gluing tires. The video is for SCT tires, but the concepts are universal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0X_2GJI1Fw

I use Losi tire glue, with proper prep, it has never let me down, and has a good working time to get the tire properly seated in the bead before it cures.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Thanks to all for the responses!

That's a CA type glue? This is my first tire change so I want to do it right. Will be using the old wheels so I will need to de-bond the existing tires. Will clean the new tires with a de-greaser (Simple Green?) to remove mold release compound. I notice some guys online were using a big rubber band to hold the tire bead tightly against the rim while gluing. Any other tips are appreciated, looks like a pretty simple operation but you always learn something the first time around.
    Yep. http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodID=LOSA7881

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I use losi's thin glue for my MT tires. Seems to hold up really well and not come loose. Dries ridiculously fast, so make sure you have everything lined up right or your going to end up with a messed up tire. Also, everytime I glue tires, I tend to always glue a finger or two together or to the tire. Do not be like me.
    Lol. Me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ Make me feel better that I'm not the only one...

Yes, the Losi tire glue is great, you don't have to wait forever for it to dry. Ha ha ha that last part, too real man, too real. I'm utterly cursed when it comes to that.
    The Wolf is not concerned for the sheep's opinion

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RCMad72 View Post
    I use duratrax glue, it's made specially for tires (yes, I know it's just super glue) and I use the same process as Zach2600, place a drop about every 1/8 to 1/4 inch.
    I just ordered some of the Duratrax CA tire glue from Tower Hobbies, is it pretty thin?

RC Enthusiast
    That's how I inadvertently threw a wheel at my spouse *d'oh!*..........her laughing at my dumb butt, me gesturing and saying that its not THAT funny --> broken lamp

And I use dollar store super glue for beads; use a foam safe, rubber toughened for rips/tears. If you pay attention you don't need foam safe glue for doing beads, but doesn't hurt to have either!
    That's my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Praetorius; 03-06-2017 at 06:34 PM. Reason: typo
    Call me Prae

RC Racer
    Well got the tires in and got them on, no sweat. The real question is how to get all of the old rubber off the rim easily, quite a bit stuck on there and had to be pried/cut out with an X-acto knife, was kind of a PITA.

Well got the tires in and got them on, no sweat. The real question is how to get all of the old rubber off the rim easily, quite a bit stuck on there and had to be pried/cut out with an X-acto knife, was kind of a PITA.
    Boiling them or baking them causes the glue to crystallize. Usually do that with the tires on the rim though so you can pull the tire to break the glue loose. I only do that when I'm trying to transplant tires. Rims are usually cheap enough that it isn't worth the headache. I had a ton of 3.2 MT tires on 14mm hex rims and needed to switch to 17mm.

That was a long day... house smelled like burnt rubber for a few days. Only had a couple casualties where the tires ripped. They had been transplanted at least once already due to burned up hex's.

A couple of my losi zombie maxx tires got the sides all bubbly because they were hanging over the cookie sheet a bit. I recently put them on 17mm RPM revolver rims and ran them on my ERBE in the snow. Balance is a tad off on a couple... but they did ok otherwise. I unmounted them 7 years ago.
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 03-11-2017 at 07:01 PM.

I use AKA tire glue for mine.
    "Gone racing"

RC Racer
    [QUOTE=olds97_lss;6366161]Boiling them or baking them causes the glue to crystallize. Usually do that with the tires on the rim though so you can pull the tire to break the glue loose. I only do that when I'm trying to transplant tires. Rims are usually cheap enough that it isn't worth the headache. I had a ton of 3.2 MT tires on 14mm hex rims and needed to switch to 17mm.

[img]http://gmarquee98.x10host.com/myPics/98gmarquee/misc/2010

Great tip, thanks!