RC Qualifier

3.3 To E-Revo, should I?

I have a 3.3 Revo, that I absolutely love, however, I'm growing quickly tired of Nitro, and I'm having a hard time finding places to play with it, that makes it worth the time and effort of hauling things around. I've been offered an E-Revo (brushed) in straight across trade, and I'm wondering if I should do it. I mainly just bash around my yard, but I do love blasting up and down the street repeatedly as well. I know absolutely nothing about Electrics, but I assume it has to be less hassle then Nitro, so it's something I'm highly interested in. How is a stock, brushed e-revo going to compare to my 3.3 that I love? I don't want to trade, just to be disappointed right away, and have to go brushless.. But I do have access to a BNIB 1/10 Brushless Velineon System for a $100 bill, would it work well for this truck if I got it, and be comparable to an E-Revo Brushless Edition then?

This is the truck I could potentially be trading for..

Last edited by Chris95GT; 08-30-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    1/10 ERBE & Rally
    1/16 MERV, KB Fiesta & Rally

RC poster
    The honest reply? Using brushed motors the E-Revo will perform worse than a Revo 3.3 and there is a decent amount of maintenance that will be required by the motors. You of course do gain the quiet and cleanliness of electric. For a have your cake and eat it too experience you need to go Brushless where you will get SUPERIOR performance to the Revo 3.3 and very little to no motor maintenance. I would sell the Revo 3.3 and buy a E-Revo brushless.

RC Qualifier
    I edited my original post to throw in the option of going brushless..
    1/10 ERBE & Rally

RC Qualifier
    Your going to have to run lipo's to get that insane speed and power. I just got a Rustler VXL and the speed with the 7 cell 8.4v is plain dissapointing, the 8 cell 9.6v is better but even that cant hang with my brothers 3.3!I just have to stick with it, im gonna have to get the biggest mah 3s Lipo I can afford because I need the speed that I know the Velineon is capable of! Like someone else said ERBE with Mamba on 6s will tear a 3.3 apart. The brushed version will dissapont you. If the trucks clean and you get a smokin deal you can always use the Traxxas trade up program to get the Mamba and it might be alot cheaper then a new BL truck.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    But I do have access to a BNIB 1/10 Brushless Velineon System for a $100 bill, would it work well for this truck if I got it, and be comparable to an E-Revo Brushless Edition then?
    No, you cant use a single vxl system in the erevo; the MMM system would be your best bet for a reliable, powerful & fast system ( or a hobbywing 150amp esc and 4274SL 2000kv motor system ). The vxl system is designed for a 1/10 2wd stadium buggy/truck weighing about 5-6lbs, not a 1/10-1/8 4wd MT weighing 8-12lbs.
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Qualifier
    Well I ended up picking this truck up anyway. I traded my broken T-Maxx 3.3 for it, so I've got about $150 into it. So far I'm happy with it, but I have a feeling I'll be exploring brushless soon..
    1/10 ERBE & Rally

RC Competitor
    Can you get Trade up (power up) in the UK

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I dont think so- the UK traxxas help center/ distributor closed down in favour of some other company doing the distribution. You'd have to take a look on the traxxas website and see if they allow overseas 'trade-ups', but dont hold your breath..
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC poster
    can you convert a revo 3,3 to a brushed motor rather then brishless

RC Enthusiast
    Yes you can. Requires a few mods but it works.

RC Qualifier
    Do you guys know this thread is 2/2.5 years old?

Sent from a red cased iPod touch.
    Slash VXL, Rally VXL, and Stampede 4x4 VXL.

Go on...you know you want to
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    LOL. I found this thread looking through my old posts. It's kind of funny looking back at it now, I haven't had a nitro in years, and now I own an E-Revo Brushless edition. (and several other brushless traxxas vehicles.)

To anyone thinking of going from nitro to electric, it's awesome. lol
    1/10 ERBE & Rally

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    I prefer electric over nitro, less maintence, less noise and just easier to work one. and you dont have to buy all those greases and oil and nitro and stuff like that.
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelle318 View Post
    I prefer electric over nitro, less maintence, less noise and just easier to work one. and you dont have to buy all those greases and oil and nitro and stuff like that.
    Really?... all the maint is the same besides after run oil. That's it.

And as far as noise I'd rather an engine over a hyped up buzzing bee. You hav soldering issues, batterys blowing up and shorting out, escs getting ruined catching fire, all sorts of things.

We have a 100 $ engine and mines lasted over 6 years with NO after run oil used at all.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mxaustin View Post
    Really?... all the maint is the same besides after run oil. That's it.

And as far as noise I'd rather an engine over a hyped up buzzing bee. You hav soldering issues, batterys blowing up and shorting out, escs getting ruined catching fire, all sorts of things.

We have a 100 $ engine and mines lasted over 6 years with NO after run oil used at all.
    I used to think the same things, only reason I even considered electric was because my neighbors being irritated at the sounds of my truck up and down the street. Now that I went electric, I'm in love. Haven't had a nitro for a few years now, and don't miss it at all.
    1/10 ERBE & Rally

RC poster
    I converted a 2.5 Revo earlier this year and love it, I went with a Castle MM2 combo and running 4S it flat out rips. Haven't broke anything yet so I won't be trying any bigger batteries, it will wheelie on command or break the tire loose and drift if it doesn't get the traction the stock tire's need.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes, you have to solder, but as far as escs catching fire and batteries blowing up.... that isn't going to happen, unless you are very negligent and just don't care......

I do rediculously stupid things with my RC toys, and have never had those issues.... oh yeah, I leave my charger unattended in the garage while it is charging......

RC Qualifier
    So do I jimbo74, been doing it for 4 years and no battery blow-ups or problems.