RC Qualifier

I need info on what lipos and ratings the titan can handle.

I want to pre order the boat today. I donít have any lipos I can put in the boat atm. I want to go ahead and order a set. But I donít know nor can I find any information on what packs would best suite this boat. I know the higher the Mah the more weight. The more weight the slower the boat will go. But the more Mah the more run time you will get.

3S 11.1v lipos

What is the lowest and highest C rating I should look for in packs for this particular boat? Because if itís too low of C rating the boat wont perform its best. But if the C rating is too high I may cause damage to the electronics.

Whatís the best suited Mah packs for the boat? Too big maybe too much weight and slow you down but you will run longer. Too small, well you wonít run but a couple mins at peak window of operation. But it will be light and quick.

I figure some 5400 Mah packs will be ok. But I need to know what C rating traxxas recommends. heck I'd just like to know what traxxas recommends for best performance period. I emailed them but didnt get anything back but that information hasnt been released.
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    anything 5000mah 20c and bigger will work
    I will use 5000mah packs in parallel for 10,000mah of runtimes
    extra weight can be your friend for an FE boat with the correct prop
    hobby city has killer deals on 40c packs
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Qualifier
    I asked someone at traxxas today and they said 40+C packs. that drove the cost up a bit more than I was thinking it was going to be to get packs for the boat.

RC Qualifier
    Are hyperion brand lipo packs good?

RC Qualifier
    Are Hyp any good? They are some of the best lipos dude. I got my G3-VX5500-3S from rclipos.com. I used code 4U10 for discount at checkout.

I also highly recommend ThunderPower lipos. You can't go wrong with either of those brands. Top Tier IMHO!
    **I hope there are RCs in Heaven; EMBE + 6S FTW!**

RC Qualifier
    Cool beans I just ordered them, well the 45C EX ones
    Last edited by JPriami; 08-03-2010 at 11:07 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPriami
    I asked someone at traxxas today and they said 40+C packs. that drove the cost up a bit more than I was thinking it was going to be to get packs for the boat.

40c is not needed!

the Nimh batteries they sell this boat with are only rated at 10c and that's a 3000-3300mah pack
    hobby city has 40c packs only 25bucks each!
    Last edited by filmmaker; 08-03-2010 at 11:50 PM.
    First MiniSlash

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JPriami
    Cool beans I just ordered them, well the 45C EX ones
    Wow, someone actually took my advice. That's a good thing. I was actually looking @ those EX versions myself. They caught my eyes as well and i'm thinking to either pick those up when I order the Titan in December or a pair of the ThunderPower 50C.

Most likely it'll be the TPs as I love the 45C ones that I have now...they are more compact in dimensions compared to the Hyps. But yea the 45C from Hyp can't be beat. I promise you that you won't be disappointed with those batts.

And as kookie mentioned above...the more Amps the better. More breathing room, and cooler electronics. So if you got the 45C/5000mAh batts that would be 225A constant when needed. Top notch! Once you can get over the cost of these batts. you will see they are more than worth it. I always say this...if it's anything I don't have to worry about it's my lipos and charger.
    Last edited by makaveli72; 08-04-2010 at 10:50 AM.

RC Qualifier
    ^^^ I got the iCharger 206B and the P350 P. Supply. Compact, powerful and neat. Love them. Got um' from David @ progressiverc.com. Dishes out 20A, and lets me charge multiple packs @ once....I can finish balance charging a pair of my Hyp 5500 lipos in about ~15 - 20mins. from storage level.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by kookie_guy
    As said, hyperion are probably some of the best pack available.

If you are looking for cost effective packs, hobby city is your friend. Yes, shipping is slow, but you can't beat the price.

As far as minimum C rating. Base it off the ESC. If the ESC is rated for 60A continuous, getting 120A continuous discharge packs is MORE than enough. At a minimum, I would just double what the ESC draws to give yourself plenty of breathing room. But the highest C and highest mah you can afford is still the best thing to do.

As far as the min C rating, that depends on the mah you buy. If you need 120A constant discharge, then:
    - a 4000mah pack would have to be 30C
    - a 6000mah pack would have to be 20C

So you see, C rating goes hand in hand with the capacity.
    one should go by the draw of the motor not the esc
    I run 200A escs on a few boats I run, and the batteries I use are 5000mah 30c packs.. my constant amp draw is 45-60amps from the motor depending on what FE boat I'm running
    and the reason for the big speedos is for the added room
    take for example the VXL-3s is rated at 200amps cont. and by your math we would need packs that have a constant rating of 400amps!
    that's a 5000mah 80c pack

After a few years of racing FE boats, people will soon see that we don't need high C rated packs to go fast, and can spend the extra cash on S/B props to get the most from our FE boats
    biggest caution is not to run the packs to far down and keep close attention to runtimes
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-05-2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: merge
    First MiniSlash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by kookie_guy
    In that instance, you are right, it would be crazy. For production/stock ESC's that generally never get over 60A, I like to use my math. The problem with going by the draw of the motor, is that it varies. So although it only draws 45-60A in your application, you can load the snot out of it and get that number much higher. And lets face it, you never leave the setup as it is. lol. As soon as you hit a top speed, you play with it for a week, then want more.
    well if you load the snot out of a brushless boat guess what?
    you kill the motor and esc and it will not matter what batteries you are using!
    and that is user error and something to stay far away form with FE boats
    your math does not work for any rc application
    as stated above we would need 400amp batteries to run with the VXL-3s with your math, and that does not work nor is it needed
    If a person want's more speed from this boat after running 6s and the best prop, then he or she needs to step up to a bigger motor and esc matched to the motor no other way around it
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-05-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: edited wrong post! Ignore this!!!
    First MiniSlash

RC Champion
    So what do you think the best motors would be, that many already have,

Castle 2200
    Castle 2650
    http://www.castlecreations.com/support/documents/neumotors-castle_boat_apps.pdf
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BT_EMT
    So what do you think the best motors would be, that many already have,

Castle 2200
    Castle 2650
    http://www.castlecreations.com/support/documents/neumotors-castle_boat_apps.pdf
    niether, you should go with a Castle/Neu 1717
    or a Neu 1521 on 6s, now that will rock waves!
    the 1515 2200 on 4s is the max between the two you listed and the speed may not be much more than the stock VXL motor on 6s
    First MiniSlash

RC Qualifier
    I just wanted to let others know I got my lipos from rclipos.com and that is the best place in my book to buy them period. Great prices and fantastic customer service hands down! Now if I can get a boat to run them in lol.

Justin Priami

RC Qualifier
    ^^^ Yah, I think i'll be picking up a pair of those 3S 50C TPs come December. Those puppies cost a fortune yes, but I rather give my money to get those vs. MA any day. And after using their (TPs) 45C/5000mAh lipos they have my trust and respect.
    Last edited by makaveli72; 08-06-2010 at 08:44 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    and in my opinion Hobby C is the best!
    companies buy from them and put their own labels on them
    First MiniSlash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli72
    ^^^ Yah, I think i'll be picking up a pair of those 3S 50C TPs come December. Those puppies cost a fortune yes, but I rather give my money to get those vs. MA any day. And after using their (TPs) 45C/5000mAh lipos they have my trust and respect.
    are they about the same price as ma?
    I thought they were much cheaper
    First MiniSlash

RC Qualifier
    The TP 45C/5000mAh lipos that I currently have are $290 for (2) with no discount taken off; and remember shipping is free.

The MA 5250mAh lipos are $360 for the pair not mentioning discounts; don't think MA has free shipping either. So just the bare prices i'm already saving $70 right there and I know and trust TPs reputation and claims on their product ratings.

But those *new* "TP 50C" packs I linked to above are $200 a pop (at least the 3S ver. which I want)....$400 for a pair...Ouch! Still, I know they would be more than worth it in the long run. This is the price one pays for reliability and to be able to sleep @ night peacefully and not have nightmares about my lipos getting hot or exploding in my truck/boat from being pushed to their limits.

After running the TPs and Hyp packs for some time now, they are not even warm to the touch after their bash sessions in my EMBE. Seriously...it's like they are not being worked...I expect them to be at least warm when they meet Titan though. WOT FTW!!!

PS: I wouldn't even mention MA new 'Multi-Cell' packs...ok I just did; but I won't consider them as I have my doubts on their claims on 'no balancing required' etc. and it's just too super easy to make a mistake and short them out.
    Last edited by makaveli72; 08-06-2010 at 09:56 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's a lot of cash for the ma packs
    First MiniSlash

RC Racer
    at max amps or "ma" the offer 2 3s 11.1v 6500mah for 400 bucks at 60c with suposedly 25 min runtimes..its under titan packs. Now every customer gets 5 percent off. 400 * 0.05 is 20. 400 - 20 is 380. shipping is 13 and change so round up to 14. it totals out to 394. thats 6 bucks less than "TP"..even if "TP" offers free shipping.

if you spend 100$ on a previous purchase you save 10 % on your next order. so if you need to buy a charger (like i do) most are over a 100 bucks. So then make a seperate order buying those same batteries i listed above and take 40 off instead of 20. = 360+ shipping : 14 = 374
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-25-2010 at 11:29 PM. Reason: merge
    L61!

RC Champion
    Hey Film,
    Say the Titan came without ESC and Motor.
    Using the Castle Hydra's , what would a few options be then, as far as going well above 6s, and use the Kershaw options.
    Would you want to stay at 6s and use the larger diameter motors like his 1/5 scale size, and have so much torque that you could put a jumbo prop on, or the longest motor?, or the highest amount of voltage ? I'll assume the $400 Neu motors would be best, but what would you choose for some options that would be faster than the stock motor.
    Using only the KD, and Leopard, Fiegao

1. Good
    2. Better
    3. Mo Better
    4. Best

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/4/4/2391022/Kershaw%20Designs/Motors-PowerOutputTable.jpg

KD 540 XL
    KD 44mm XL
    Fiegao 580 L
    KD XXL
    Leopard on 10s
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by n5bulldawgs
    at max amps or "ma" the offer 2 3s 11.1v 6500mah for 400 bucks at 60c with suposedly 25 min runtimes..its under titan packs. Now every customer gets 5 percent off. 400 * 0.05 is 20. 400 - 20 is 380. shipping is 13 and change so round up to 14. it totals out to 394. thats 6 bucks less than "TP"..even if "TP" offers free shipping.
    What a JOKE!
    sounds like ma needs some schooling on FE boats
    running those packs to a safe zone of 80% of max capacity for 25min = 12.48amps cont.
    and that = less than 300watts! yeah right, like that 300watts is going to push this FE into the 50mph zone, I don't think so
    my UL-1 pulls 45amps cont on 4s and bursts of 110amps!

Quote Originally Posted by BT_EMT
    Hey Film,
    Say the Titan came without ESC and Motor.
    Using the Castle Hydra's , what would a few options be then, as far as going well above 6s, and use the Kershaw options.
    Would you want to stay at 6s and use the larger diameter motors like his 1/5 scale size, and have so much torque that you could put a jumbo prop on, or the longest motor?, or the highest amount of voltage ? I'll assume the $400 Neu motors would be best, but what would you choose for some options that would be faster than the stock motor.
    Using only the KD, and Leopard, Fiegao

1. Good
    2. Better
    3. Mo Better
    4. Best

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/4/4/2391022/Kershaw%20Designs/Motors-PowerOutputTable.jpg

KD 540 XL
    KD 44mm XL
    Fiegao 580 L
    KD XXL
    Leopard on 10s
    Great question buddy!
    If it were me, and I may just do this..
    is to buy the new LEOPARD 4082/1450KV and run it on 6s!
    http://www.himodel.com/electric/LEOP...BP4082_4D.html
    this motor is about equal to a Neu 1521
    and a T urnigy 180esc
    100bucks for the motor and about $85 for the esc
    on 6s with a prop around 45mm this thing should see upper 60's
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-25-2010 at 11:29 PM. Reason: merge
    First MiniSlash

RC Racer
    well the point i was trying to make is that buying from ma isnt really more expensive than "TA"..well as far as i could tell.
    Another question i found some 8 cell 9.4 volt 5500mah( around there) Nihm batteries online...how would those run? i know it wouldnt be 50 mph ( Im more for run time than speed) Would they last a pretty decent amount of time? like 20- 30 min ? I also found a 5000 MAH 10.8 volt ..woudl that give me good run time or just more speed?
    Last edited by n5bulldawgs; 08-24-2010 at 09:26 AM.
    L61!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    well the point i was trying to make is that buying from ma isnt really more expensive than "TA"..well as far as i could tell.
    Another question i found some 8 cell 9.4 volt 5500mah( around there) Nihm batteries online...how would those run? i know it wouldnt be 50 mph ( Im more for run time than speed) Would they last a pretty decent amount of time? like 20- 30 min ? I also found a 5000 MAH 10.8 volt ..woudl that give me good run time or just more speed?
    to get 20-30min runtimes you need about 20,000mah!
    and the ma batteries are a joke, specially if they are selling them with the runtimes you posted
    that's called "false advertisement"
    First MiniSlash

RC Racer
    i see everyone is getting those packs from "HK" but how are you guys putting trx connectors on the ends? and also has anyone bought a charger from them? recomendations? lol
    L61!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i see everyone is getting those packs from "HK" but how are you guys putting trx connectors on the ends? and also has anyone bought a charger from them? recomendations? lol
    putting on the Traxxas connectors is simple
    I remove those in favor of the 5.5mm bullets that come with a lot of packs now
    and for chargers, I bought two from them for $19 each, yes that's less than 20bucks for a sweet charger and I bought two, so I can charge multiple packs at the same time
    First MiniSlash

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker
    putting on the Traxxas connectors is simple
    I remove those in favor of the 5.5mm bullets that come with a lot of packs now
    and for chargers, I bought two from them for $19 each, yes that's less than 20bucks for a sweet charger and I bought two, so I can charge multiple packs at the same time
    well dont you have to have traxxas connectors for the batt's to hook up the the system? oh it is easy? i just assumed for it be kinda difficult, im not the handiest person when it comes to that stuff. well what are the chargers? lol i wish i could find a 8-10k mah rating battery that isnt extremly expensive lol
    L61!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    you just take off the Traxxas connectors and solder on the new ones
    and the chargers are Eco Six from hobby city
    First MiniSlash

RC Qualifier
    if you run highr volt packs ie 4s vs 6s you will pull less amps and can afford a lower c rate. how ever
    off road examples bassed in 10-12 min rt's in 1/8 buggy
    2200kv motor on 4s is an avg of 100-120 amp so battery of choice was a 25c 5000mah(125amp)
    1400 kv motor on 6s amp draw 45-65 amp so battery of choice was 25c 2650 mah(66 amp)
    these are very close to max so wanting a 20amp buffer may be wanted
    Higher voltage= higher effeciency= cooler temps
    what we need is hard test data of normal and peak amp draw from traxxas on their motors. We can compare with other manuf. but due to todays tech i would like their answers. If you want weight the options are endless but if you are wanting to trim fat for a specific runtime ie race conditions, i feel this info is needed.
    Toy List: BL Ed. Revo, RC8,RC8e,B44,T4,

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by millerdui
    if you run highr volt packs ie 4s vs 6s you will pull less amps and can afford a lower c rate. how ever
    off road examples bassed in 10-12 min rt's in 1/8 buggy
    2200kv motor on 4s is an avg of 100-120 amp so battery of choice was a 25c 5000mah(125amp)
    1400 kv motor on 6s amp draw 45-65 amp so battery of choice was 25c 2650 mah(66 amp)
    these are very close to max so wanting a 20amp buffer may be wanted
    Higher voltage= higher effeciency= cooler temps
    what we need is hard test data of normal and peak amp draw from traxxas on their motors. We can compare with other manuf. but due to todays tech i would like their answers. If you want weight the options are endless but if you are wanting to trim fat for a specific runtime ie race conditions, i feel this info is needed.
    not sure where you came up with these ideas?
    running the same prop with more volts will pull more amps
    so running 6s with the stock prop will pull more amps vs 4s on the stock prop
    and running 2650mah packs while pulling 45amps will only give a 2.8min run
    and 8th scale buggies do not average 100-120amps
    that would only give less than 2 1/2min of runtime
    but having a runtime of 11min taking the packs down to 20% left = 22amps avg

Most do not realize just how many amps FE Boats can and will pull
    First MiniSlash

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker
    Most do not realize just how many amps FE Boats can and will pull
    thanks for gettin me straight, this will be my first r/c boat. my plan was to run my two 2650mah 6s in parrel to give me 5300 mah 6s. I have 3s 5000mah for my revo i could run in series. so i will have some options w/o buying new batteries.
    thanks
    Toy List: BL Ed. Revo, RC8,RC8e,B44,T4,

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by millerdui
    thanks for gettin me straight, this will be my first r/c boat. my plan was to run my two 2650mah 6s in parrel to give me 5300 mah 6s. I have 3s 5000mah for my revo i could run in series. so i will have some options w/o buying new batteries.
    thanks
    your should fly!
    50mph in a rc boat is cookin
    First MiniSlash