Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    RC Champion

Long Live The Traxxas Revo!

I strayed away from the ERBE for a while to build a brushless Losi LST XXL. I ran that Losi for a while and it is tough, but not what I would call ''tough as nails''. It still breaks when you abuse of it, but it is very easy to work on. I went back to using my ERBE not long ago and I had forgotten how nimble and fast this thing is. It makes the Losi feel like a big fat pig. I still love my LST, it's a different feel, real monster truck like you know But I gotta tell ya, that brushless E-Revo is definitely a Truggy in disguise. It's a monster truck that handles so well that it just brings a smile to my face whenever I run it... Until I break a bulkhead or blow a diff. (spare me the slipper lecture, I know all about it)

SO TRAXXAS! LISTEN UP! (or read if you will)

It's time for the ultimate Revo guys and gals. Yes! A new version There's not much work to be done to have the ultimate Traxxas monster truck. Just revise the bulkheads to be a lot stronger and house 1/8 scale diffs. THAT'S IT!

You got two months. Get to work

LONG LIVE THE REVO!
    Last edited by mistercrash; 08-01-2010 at 06:40 PM.
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    True 1/8 diffs for the maxx and revo would be a dream & earn traxxas a fortune; its not like its difficult either- the 1/8 diffs for the muggy and lst2 are dirt cheap molded items that hold up brilliantly, and the UE Ultralites fit the maxx bulks so its not like they wont fit either.

Give us 6 spider gears, give us a metal case, and we'll give you our money!*

*well, I wont as I have the Ultralites already, but you get my point
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Champion
    Neil? Is that really you?
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Qualifier
    I had been running my slash4x4 as my yard basher. Goes great in a straight line with MT tires on it, but turning is a chore at speed. While the bL e-revo, handles it all like a pro surfer on his best day.
    ...and a stonger driveshaft assembly would be nice

Viva La REVOlution

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Voltage
    ...and a stonger driveshaft assembly would be nice

Viva La REVOlution

Steel driveshafts standard would please a lot of wheelie-happy 6s-ers (myself included) pleased. And, those 1/8th scale diffs would be great. A warranty-covered pre-Liquid Taped (waterproof) MMM would be nice, too.

RC Qualifier
    Same here Traxxas. A E-Revo with 1/8th diffs and steel driveshafts. Not the current CVDs neither but something along the lines of the current sliders just made out of metal or tough alloy. I have a $1000 burning a hole in my pocket. What you waiting for Traxxas? Revo needs a make over and not just a new shell and wheels.

Havent had a huge amount of trouble from the bulkheads (only broke one after a run in with a gutter) but stronger ones would be welcomed.
    BASH. BREAK. FIX. REPEAT. ALWAYS REPEAT.

RC Champion
    How about a new set of belted tires that won't explode at 6s....
    (√) Zer0 tall-er-ance 4 stu-pid-it-deeeeee.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SlotterHouse
    I'll second that
    EMaxx MM2200-6S,Rustler VXL,Twin Detonator,L/Box

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlotterHouse

Huzzah!!!! +over 9000!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG-block
    Haven't had a huge amount of trouble from the bulkheads (only broke one after a run in with a gutter) but stronger ones would be welcomed.
    I think stronger bulkheads would be needed to prevent them from cracking since an 8th scale diff is heavier. With 8th scale diffs, the bulkheads take quite a pounding landing jumps.

I agree with belted tires, they are really needed and not only for the Revo. Any RC running brushless power needs them.
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Qualifier
    To sum up:
    - belted tires (manufacturers have a lot of money to make with these)
    - stronger bulckhead
    - center diff
    - steel CVDs or SUMMIT like CVDs

I add:
    - bigger battery trays
    - single servo optional parts
    - upgrade kit with no electronics (radio & servos) but optional parts included (like the one for the slash 4x4)
    - black chassis (everybody is dying them )

I'm sure we'll make together the PERFECT revo
    Last edited by Pulse; 08-02-2010 at 01:40 PM.
    Just play.

RC Champion
    I am not sure I would want bigger battery compartments. I still believe that Traxxas limited the size of the batt comp so that not too much weight would be added to the truck. You can add more than a full pound of weight by running let's say two 5S 5000 mah packs in parallel. That extra pound or more will break parts like you wouldn't believe.

Having said that, I just thought of the simplest way to make the Revo very tough. It's been said before, just run 4S

Problem solved. Delete this thread
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrash

Having said that, I just thought of the simplest way to make the Revo very tough. It's been said before, just run 4S

I only run 6s, friends run 4s yet mine breaks the least. It drives them nuts since I am a very aggressive driver, for example last week I was landing 40' jumps over and over again. I need to get my cameraman out there next time, he's not the most experienced but he digs the action (7yr old).

Components certainly have an impact but the driver plays into it in a big way

RC Qualifier
    I am not sure I would want bigger battery compartments. I still believe that Traxxas limited the size of the batt comp so that not too much weight would be added to the truck. You can add more than a full pound of weight by running let's say two 5S 5000 mah packs in parallel. That extra pound or more will break parts like you wouldn't believe.

Well, I used to be reasonable and go for 4S. After a year I simply wanted more, so I went for 6S with all the parameters of the castle link set at the minimum and finally I didn't broke more parts than before. I might not have the same driving
    Just play.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulse
    To sum up:
    - belted tires (manufacturers have a lot of money to make with these)
    Yup, I would place an immediate order for 4 sets if they came on the market tomorrow.
    EMaxx MM2200-6S,Rustler VXL,Twin Detonator,L/Box

RC poster
    4s only, Summit conversion w/Hobbywing brushless:

Tired of twisting driveshafts and blowing diffs even with slipper setup correctly. I did a Muggy conversion just to have a more robust basher. I still love Traxxas and would have no reason to look at another manufacturer if the suggestions above were addressed.

RC Champion
    How about better battery doors that don't pop open.
    It's been fun. See ya.

i second the battery door locks. and larger compartments. its bad when landing a jump just to get passed on the track . . . by your battery.

And most important

** Make that Titan boat brushless 6s waterproof ESC into something we can put into a truck

** Make that Titan boat brushless 6s waterproof ESC into something we can put into a truck

yea Im still hopeing
    6s
    brushless
    waterproof

HEY im salivating here!
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Champion
    I just thought of something else. The list just keeps growing here Something to support the motor better to prevent stripped spur gears. Much like this but from Traxxas.

And the Brushless TMaxx aluminum slipper pads as standard equipment.
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

And the Brushless TMaxx aluminum slipper pads as standard equipment.
    They aren't? Mine came with them....

RC Champion
    I bought the ERBE in December 2008, on pre order. I received it on March 18, 2009 and it didn't have the alu pads. Maybe it IS standard equipment now. I'm not sure.
    Last edited by mistercrash; 08-02-2010 at 07:02 PM.
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Might be an update, I picked mine up maybe 2 months ago.

RC Champion
    So here's the list of improvements that were brought up until now. Pay attention Traxxas engineers

8th scale drive train:
    - 8th scale front and rear diffs.
    - optional 8th scale center diff.
    - Beefy Truggy like CVDs, like 5 or 6 mm in diameter.
    Stronger bulkheads.
    Battery doors that don't pop open.
    Optional Traxxas single steering servo set up.
    Traxxas belted tires for brushless applications.
    Better support for the motor.

Also brought up:
    Bigger battery compartments
    ARR kit with no electronics
    Water proof MMM (this would have to be addressed to Castle Creations)

The clock is ticking, there's like ten people that want it, That's like at least $200 of profit right there

Meh! I don't think it's gonna happen.

But who knows, I know of at least one Traxxas engineer who wrote that he would LOOOOVE to work on a project like that but he has a lot of other cool projects to wrap up first.
    Last edited by mistercrash; 08-02-2010 at 08:55 PM.
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Champion
    How about a new and improved way of mounting/clipping the body.

Those clips are kind of a pain in the rear, and have been for years...

Why doesn't someone come up with a type of body mount where you could just mount the body on the posts and have the top portion of the post bend over and lock into position.

Or perhaps an elastic band attached within the post in which you could just pull up the top of the post and lay it sideways (forming a T).

Hmmm, I think I have a project to look forward to......
    (√) Zer0 tall-er-ance 4 stu-pid-it-deeeeee.

RC Qualifier
    I think stronger bulkheads would be needed to prevent them from cracking since an 8th scale diff is heavier. With 8th scale diffs, the bulkheads take quite a pounding landing jumps.
    When you say it like that it definitely makes sense. Given the fact that 1/8th diffs are bigger than what Revo has now the bulks would need a major overhaul so why not make them a lot beefier at the same time.

I have been thinking about this thread a lot today at work (probably should have been paying more attention to my work judging by my bosses angry words). If Traxxas was to make all these improvements I think it would add a lot of weight to the truck. That would be IMO a very bad thing. I would hate to see the Revo become an obese pig of a truck that handles poorly. If it wasn't so nimble I doubt I would even own a MT.

RC Qualifier
    ++1 on everything except bigger battery compartments, I agree with mister crash there. Maybe they should have velcro on the batterydoors....

RC Qualifier
    We forget something: the switch from the ESC. Its quality is very poor, I solder all of them (I've two MMv3)
    Just play.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The power junkie in me says bigger battery bays. But I already fit 5.8 ah 3s in there, and get excellent run time and power... I suppose its enough.

RC Champion
    When you say it like that it definitely makes sense. Given the fact that 1/8th diffs are bigger than what Revo has now the bulks would need a major overhaul so why not make them a lot beefier at the same time.

I have been thinking about this thread a lot today at work (probably should have been paying more attention to my work judging by my bosses angry words). If Traxxas was to make all these improvements I think it would add a lot of weight to the truck. That would be IMO a very bad thing. I would hate to see the Revo become an obese pig of a truck that handles poorly. If it wasn't so nimble I doubt I would even own a MT.
    I have modified my ERBE extensively and I bashed and raced it for a full year with 8th scale Losi LST XXL diffs. Including an 8th scale center diff made from the same Losi truck. Those diffs are in fact heavier than the stock ERBE diffs but the difference is really small. A few grams is what it is. It doesn't do anything bad on the handling. It improves the handling actually. IMHO, 8th scale diffs have a more progressive unloading due to more gears rolling in the diff lube. It unloads less dramatically. The difference in weight is minimal, the truck still overs around the ten pound mark RTR which is where it is most happy.

The switch, like a water proof MMM would have to be addressed with Castle Creations I think, not with Traxxas.

As for a new way of mounting our bodies, I agree body clips are a pain. But they are simple and inexpensive. Anything protruding above the body can't be too complicated or fragile. But get to work on the subject, who knows you might come up with something REVOlutionnary, if you do, please start a new thread to let us know about it.

So the list of improvements is growing:

8th scale drive train:
    - 8th scale front and rear diffs.
    - optional 8th scale center diff.
    - Beefy Truggy like CVDs, like 5 or 6 mm in diameter.
    Stronger bulkheads.
    Battery doors that don't pop open.
    Optional Traxxas single steering servo set up.
    Traxxas belted tires for brushless applications.
    Better support for the motor.

Also brought up:
    Bigger battery compartments
    ARR kit with no electronics
    Water proof MMM (this would have to be addressed to Castle Creations)
    Better quality on/off switch (this would have to be addressed to Castle Creations)
    Last edited by mistercrash; 08-03-2010 at 10:21 AM.
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Competitor
    there is notting like owing a revo i have both nitro & bL and love them
    6 TRAXXAS UNITS AND I DONT WANT HELP TO DRIVE THEM

RC Racer
    mistercrash, it seems like what you (and others) want is something that has truggy-like handling with strong 8th scale drivetrain and parts and strong bulkheads. It sounds maybe like a cross between a MT and a truggy, maybe you could call it a Muggy!

RC Champion
    No! Absolubly not! I dare you compare the Revo to a Muggy. Mister rolly eyes winky tongue out. What I want, and others too, is an ultimate bashing Revo. We've had the racing Revo for some years and it has proven its capabilities as a racer many times in the past. The Revo is a great basher as well but it could be more durable. Now it's time for the ultimate basher, one tough Traxxas monster truck that still handles like a racer.

I know it is spelled absolutely, I just like saying absolubly.
    Last edited by mistercrash; 08-03-2010 at 01:16 PM.
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Racer
    I hope you all realize what you see here: mistercrash, who for a short time came over to the dark side, returns and reveals himself as the true Traxxas fan-boy that he is. We'll miss you.

edit: I was going to overlook your spelling.
    Last edited by brian015; 08-03-2010 at 01:21 PM.

RC Champion
    Honestly I would just be happy with stronger diffs and bulks, and maybe the battery doors heh. Oh and stronger shafts too.

But for sure the diffs, they are far to easy to liquify
    MBX5T|MMM/2200kv|16/46|Hitec 7955TG|KingHeadz

RC Racer
    I would like to see Universal Center Diff/Motor Mount like RCmonster makes and a 1/8 type style center diff.Hopefully if would cut down on some weight 2.

RC Racer
    I sure hope they come up with these suggestions....until then, my ERBE is parked and I'm flying my heli's. Sick of fixing, upgrading, 1/2 run...break, order upgrade parts, assemble 1/2 run break...repeat too many times and it get old very very fast. I honestly, can't believe traxxas hasn't released "proper" upgrades suggested above yet!

RC Qualifier
    What the heck are you doing to your Revo FUNBOSS? Driving it into a wall???? I am the first to criticize a weak point on any RC (I have the warning points to prove it ) but there is no way my Revo is that weak. Last track outing I managed to break a RPM true track carrier and totally trash my Slipstream body. Rest of the truck was fine after trying at least 50 times to clear a triple that truggies were struggling with. Most of my issues are drivetrain related and that is usually from running on high grip surfaces and doing standing backflips. Mainly driveshafts.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by brian015
    I hope you all realize what you see here: mistercrash, who for a short time came over to the dark side, returns and reveals himself as the true Traxxas fan-boy that he is. We'll miss you.

If the Revo gets an overall including the stuff mentioned here, I will get one. Then I will play with it and test it's durability. If I'm satisfied with the result, it is true that I will be a Traxxas fan boy. If Traxxas comes out with a shall we say, bullet proof Revo that still handles like it does right now, everyone will become a Traxxas fan boy. And Traxxas will conquer the world! Muahahahahahaha...
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Racer
    If the Revo gets an overall including the stuff mentioned here, I will get one. Then I will play with it and test it's durability. If I'm satisfied with the result, it is true that I will be a Traxxas fan boy. If Traxxas comes out with a shall we say, bullet proof Revo that still handles like it does right now, everyone will become a Traxxas fan boy. And Traxxas will conquer the world! Muahahahahahaha...
    Alright, we heard it here first - Traxxas and mistercrash are planning to take over the world.

RC Racer
    What the heck are you doing to your Revo FUNBOSS? Driving it into a wall???? I am the first to criticize a weak point on any RC (I have the warning points to prove it ) but there is no way my Revo is that weak. Last track outing I managed to break a RPM true track carrier and totally trash my Slipstream body. Rest of the truck was fine after trying at least 50 times to clear a triple that truggies were struggling with. Most of my issues are drivetrain related and that is usually from running on high grip surfaces and doing standing backflips. Mainly driveshafts.
    I take my ERBE to the sand dunes and a gravel pit around my house. The problems I've run into are primarily driveline related. I've bought avid bearings for the rear (front will be installed when it fails), aluminum cup and housing which seemed to really beef up the back end. But that's quite a bit of upgrades to get the diff's where IMO they should be in the first place. The stock drive shafts are a joke (yes i've set my slipper loose, too loose sometimes). The cvd's are not much better, I found the dog bone to bend on a consistent basis placing a great deal of strain on the bearings etc, the cvd cups are not much better in design either. I did however have some luck with the summit shafts, then again lots of cabbage later and sit there scratching my head as to why traxxas did not include them in the first place.
    Overall, the amount of money i have spent on my ERBE is very high relative to its initial purchase price, and I can't help but to think that I should have put it towards a dirt bike (on the way or a large Trex 700e for example.
    I'm just venting....but I do hope traxxas is listening up to our plea, or perhaps having us buy countless driveshafts over and over is working to their advantage, either way....she's now a shelf queen and I'm out for a while