RC Racer

Lipo Question..What is the difference between 20c and 50c burst.

Lipo..What is the difference between 20c and 50c burst on lipo batteries?

Also

When you compare a 2000mah lipo battery vs a 5000mah battery, is the higher mah rating just run time or does it give more power??

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by george007
    Lipo..What is the difference between 20c and 50c burst on lipo batteries?

Also

When you compare a 2000mah lipo battery vs a 5000mah battery, is the higher mah rating just run time or does it give more power??
    The difference in mah gives you more run time, although I have noticed a very slight increase in power with higher mah batteries. If you want more power, you get a higher voltage. 3S has more punch than 2S.

RC Champion
    20c is the continuous current, 50c is brief amount 50c current (usually used for a couple seconds of hard acceleration)

mah gives runtime, but the amount of current the battery can deliver is c rating times amps of the pack (1000mah= 1 amp). For a rustler or bandit, you should get a pack that can deliver around 100 amps. This may vary, I have heard of 20c 2800 mah (only 56 amps) packs powering a rustler well. On the other hand, if your pack can not provide enough amps, you don't have much punch. You can run low mah packs with the same "punch" as larger packs if they have a higher "c" rating

Quote Originally Posted by brushlessbandit
    20c is the continuous current, 50c is brief amount 50c current (usually used for a couple seconds of hard acceleration)

This may be correct for a particular lipo but won't always be true.

The C rating lets you know how many amps the lipo can be discharged at continuous amp draw and in burst amp draw.

If I have a 2000mah 50C pack, it will be capable of delivering 100 amps continuously but for a short period of times. Where if I have a 5000mah 20C pack I'll still be capable of 100amp continuous discharge but I'll have longer runtimes.
    Emaxx- truggy/CD conversion...

Quote Originally Posted by DynoXG
    The difference in mah gives you more run time, although I have noticed a very slight increase in power with higher mah batteries. If you want more power, you get a higher voltage. 3S has more punch than 2S.
    This is half true. The mah does give more runtime but as was explained before you need to look at "power" as amps AND voltage (watts equals amps*volts). Amps being like torque, voltage being hp. a 2s 5000 20c pack has more "power" in it (power being measured in watts 5x20=100amps x 7.4 volts is 740 watts) than a 4s 2000 20c pack (2x20=40 amps x 14.8 volts is 592 watts).
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by streetdemon
    This is half true. The mah does give more runtime but as was explained before you need to look at "power" as amps AND voltage (watts equals amps*volts). Amps being like torque, voltage being hp. a 2s 5000 20c pack has more "power" in it (power being measured in watts 5x20=100amps x 7.4 volts is 740 watts) than a 4s 2000 20c pack (2x20=40 amps x 14.8 volts is 592 watts).
    Horsepower is a derivative of torque. Without torque, you have no horsepower. Amps and volts cannot be interchanged to "one is torque, one is horsepower" because there's more to electric motors torque output than just how many volts or amps you feed it.

And to the OP, if you ran both packs(assuming the only difference is mAh) back to back in the same car, the 5000 mah pack will give you longer runtime. Stepping up in mah will either give you more runtime(the 5k holds more energy than the 2k which lets the 5k support a given current draw over a longer time) or more overall possible power output(from the mAh x C rating) depending on your needs/setup.
    Nothing burns the hair off your hands like 40%....

Quote Originally Posted by NovaSavage
    Horsepower is a derivative of torque. Without torque, you have no horsepower. Amps and volts cannot be interchanged to "one is torque, one is horsepower" because there's more to electric motors torque output than just how many volts or amps you feed it.

And to the OP, if you ran both packs(assuming the only difference is mAh) back to back in the same car, the 5000 mah pack will give you longer runtime. Stepping up in mah will either give you more runtime(the 5k holds more energy than the 2k which lets the 5k support a given current draw over a longer time) or more overall possible power output(from the mAh x C rating) depending on your needs/setup.
    I am well aware of what horsepower is and that it is a function of torque. I wasn't saying they were identical in every single possible aspect, I was simply stating that they are SIMILAR.
    Would you prefer if I said that volts were the size of the carb and amps were the size of the jets, and they need to work together, where if the jets aren't big enough then the carb won't perform properly?
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Champion
    As said above,

MAH is miliamps hours, it will give a minor amount of power the higher the MAH. But it basically means 2000 MAH will not last as long as a 5000 MAH.
    Rustler VXL | Slash | Stampede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by streetdemon
    I am well aware of what horsepower is and that it is a function of torque. I wasn't saying they were identical in every single possible aspect, I was simply stating that they are SIMILAR.
    Would you prefer if I said that volts were the size of the carb and amps were the size of the jets, and they need to work together, where if the jets aren't big enough then the carb won't perform properly?
    Actually if you were to say volts= water pressure in a water hose and amps=diameter of said hose would be the closest analogy to volts and amps thats easiest to understand. At least without breaking out the algebra books.
    Nothing burns the hair off your hands like 40%....