RC Qualifier

3S Battery Question

My 2S SPC lipo burned in a fiery blaze last fall (my fault, didn't pay attention when charging). I've been missing my pede and I need to get a new battery. I have a Castle Sidewinder 3 and Castle 3800kv motor setup. I'm thinking going for a 3S battery instead of 2S. I think both the ESC and motor are capable of it, but is it a good idea? Will I burn up either? I mostly stay on dirt, road, but I do run around the grass a bit in the yard too.

RC Champion
    3s will be just fine if used the correct way.

1. Just pay attention when you're charging this time
    2. start off with a safe gearing.
    3. Most importantly. grab a temp gun to determine that "sweet spot" for your riding conditions.
    Forget G-Rustler, My Name is G-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, since then I've been getting into other RC hobbies and have half a dozen lipos in the mix now, so I've been paying much more attention to charging. I've also upped the safety of my charging area. Before that I had just the one 2S battery and got lazy.

I have a temp gun already so I'm good there. Looks like 3S will be coming in soon then. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    +1 to G-Rustler.

I have that same motor/ESC combo in my 4x4 Slash and sometimes run 3s with it. On the 4x4 you really have to watch temps but on the lighter, 2WD, Stampede you should be fine unless you try to gear up.

FYI, the 3800kv motor is fine on 3s. It's the SW3 ESC that will be your weak point. I don't think you'll have any troubles, but if you did, it would be with the ESC getting hot.

Have fun with it, the P2de is CRAZY on 3s!