Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

What is needed to go single servo ?

I have a hpi vorza stock servo brand new , they are pretty strong , def. stronger then the stock traxxas servos . Would i be ok in taking out both servos and running one on the right side of the revo? I am pretty sure that it will fit the stock servo arm being that hpi servos use futaba arms and so do traxxas. Someone please correct me if i am wrong ? Thankyou

I believe these are the specs:
    Specs:

6.0V
    0.18sec/60
    12kg/cm
    Futaba J Connector
    Metal Output Gear
    Last edited by justpassedu; 06-16-2010 at 06:15 PM.

RC Qualifier
    On a mountain, S.W. Colorado and Nothern Illinois
    Well here are the specs.
    Voltage: 4V-6V
    Torque: 314 oz/in 8.9kg/cm
    Speed: .20 sec/60 degree (6.0V)

It is enough servo to push the tires over... It should just drop right in otherwise
    fine line between hobby and mental illness

RC Qualifier
    Thankyou ill prob be a lil bit under in the tq area but i guess i can give it a try if it drops right in .

RC Champion
    Your gonna need an external BEC in order to get the full 6v to that servo. The MMM only puts out 5.5v

The Castle 10amp BEC is a good choice, but you'll need the Castle link to program it.
    Last edited by SlotterHouse; 06-16-2010 at 06:58 PM.
    (√) Zer0 tall-er-ance 4 stu-pid-it-deeeeee.

Quote Originally Posted by SlotterHouse
    Your gonna need an external BEC in order to get the full 6v to that servo. The MMM only puts out 5.5v

The Castle 10amp BEC is a good choice, but you'll need the Castle link to program it.
    Mine reads 5.6V out (ancient analog multimeter), but that's probably 5.5V or less @ the servo. I'd also recommend the CC BEC.

RC Qualifier
    On a mountain, S.W. Colorado and Nothern Illinois
    With only 5.5 you will prob get about 300 oz/in out of it.... Off the top of my head I think that at 4v it puts out 290 oz/in.... Please dont flame me on this, it is off the top of my head
    fine line between hobby and mental illness

RC Qualifier
    ok ill try and give it a shot 1st and see how it handles and if its not enough power ill grab a bec , i just picked up some maximizer beadlocks 1/2'' offset and proline mashers for my tire setup. - thanks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by justpassedu
    ok ill try and give it a shot 1st and see how it handles and if its not enough power ill grab a bec , i just picked up some maximizer beadlocks 1/2'' offset and proline mashers for my tire setup. - thanks

You will probably think it works great without the BEC, but when you actually put the BEC on you will be blown away. When I installed my 7955TH it worked very well without the BEC and then I had problems with my RX8 BEC so I installed one and WOW it made such a difference. I would not run without one at the price of 24 bucks it makes the servo come alive.
    xl-5 Stampede
    ERBE Tekin 6s
    ERBE MMM 4/6s

RC Champion
    There's one on the bay that you can get for $15.00 shipped, though it's coming from Australia so it may take a while to receive.

And just a heads up. You do need the Castle link to program the BEC. I can't remember what the voltage is set at from Castle, but if memory serves me correct, it's not 6v....

Also get a heavy duty servo spring:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHGE0&P=7

And a short servo extension:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMHA4&P=7

You'll cut the red wire from the extension to disable the MMM's BEC...

And just a heads up. You do need the Castle link to program the BEC. I can't remember what the voltage is set at from Castle, but if memory serves me correct, it's not 6v...
    Correct as usual. It's 5.1V @ the default setting. (Ewww)
    FWIW, that's the default setting on the CC BEC Pro too.

RC Qualifier
    dont most big trucks run the same way then at 5.1v , bc the savage flux didnt have a bec and ran off of one servo using the mmm setup and that truck has some big heavy tires to move , so what would be the difference of using one servo on the e revo compared to the savage doing it ?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by justpassedu
    dont most big trucks run the same way then at 5.1v , bc the savage flux didnt have a bec and ran off of one servo using the mmm setup and that truck has some big heavy tires to move , so what would be the difference of using one servo on the e revo compared to the savage doing it ?
    Sounds like the flux could use an immediate upgrade..

166.64 oz/in of torque????

And it runs on 1 servo...

Ish...

RC Qualifier
    it actually steers pretty well for a big heavy truck being it has 1 servo , the wheels dont turn to well when it's not moving but when it gets going it handles fine.

RC Qualifier
    I have a servo meter and I'm getting right around 5.5 to 5.8 at the servo, so with a 420oz servo, I figure I'm getting around 390-400oz of torque. Here is the servo meter, you can check if the servo is binding or hitting something by watching the volts or amps: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=HAN172

RC Qualifier
    i actually just threw in a brand new hpi sf-50 servo that is used in the vorza and savage flux , threw it with no bec and tested it out and it is def. better than the two stock servos and for now a bec is def. not needed. Everything handled fine and turning was perfect , just have to center it perfectly now...

Quote Originally Posted by Cultivate
    You will probably think it works great without the BEC, but when you actually put the BEC on you will be blown away. When I installed my 7955TH it worked very well without the BEC and then I had problems with my RX8 BEC so I installed one and WOW it made such a difference. I would not run without one at the price of 24 bucks it makes the servo come alive.
    You would be surprised how many guys I have seen purchase an HV servo and running it off the ESC BEC. Not that it doesn't work but they are amazed how different my servos operate and I run only 7V to them. Night and day IMO. Even with a 6V servo, I would highly recommend getting a standalone BEC. Better performance and less stress on your ESC.

I will ask, program what, the amps? I have CC link & a Hitech 7950TH I have not put on yet. I want to get the CC BEC 10 AMP, correct?? Thanks
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN
    I will ask, program what, the amps? I have CC link & a Hitech 7950TH I have not put on yet. I want to get the CC BEC 10 AMP, correct?? Thanks
    You will have to program the Castle BEC when you get it. Factory voltage output is not set to the output you want to run. The 10A Castle BEC is what I and most others run. That's also the same servo I run in my ERBE set to 7V and well worth running at the higher voltage.

I actually run the BEC to power the servo only. The MMM BEC operates my Rx, transponder, and Castle blower fan because there has been mixed reviews of running my Futaba 604FS receivers higher than 6V. Too expensive to take the chance.

RC Qualifier
    im sure it does wake it up running an external bec , but most cars and trucks do come with a single servo and no bec and operate fine. like the savage flux ran a single servo , same mmm setup and no bec and worked fine while moving . i put the servo in from the flux and it runs pretty much the same , i dont really see the need right now for an external bec as its just spending extra moneywhen the car operates fine. although if i ever find one on the cheap i will take your advice and give it a try. waiting on some mashers and maximizer beadlocks so ill see how this servo moves those and if its not to great ill pick up a bec - thanks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovdog
    You will have to program the Castle BEC when you get it. Factory voltage output is not set to the output you want to run. The 10A Castle BEC is what I and most others run. That's also the same servo I run in my ERBE set to 7V and well worth running at the higher voltage.

I actually run the BEC to power the servo only. The MMM BEC operates my Rx, transponder, and Castle blower fan because there has been mixed reviews of running my Futaba 604FS receivers higher than 6V. Too expensive to take the chance.

How do you differentiate what runs what? I plug my BEC into the AUX/Battery plug on my Rx and it powers everything. (I used an extension and removed the BEC cable from my RX8 that way.)
    xl-5 Stampede
    ERBE Tekin 6s
    ERBE MMM 4/6s

RC Qualifier

hmm... but if hitec says the servo will run at 6v then wont the servo get fried at 7v??? also, how do you make it so that it powers the servo only??? from what i understand the cc bec is meant to power the the receiver instead of the esc. i think the instructions say to remove the red power wire from the esc when installing the bec so thats why im asking.

How do you differentiate what runs what? I plug my BEC into the AUX/Battery plug on my Rx and it powers everything. (I used an extension and removed the BEC cable from my RX8 that way.)

MMM/RX8 ESC plugs into Rx normally. I use a custom harness that runs the signal wire from my Rx to the servo and the 7V from the standalone BEC to power the servo. Basically a female/female adapter that connects the BEC to the servo with the servo signal wire removed and plugged into the Rx. I use this configuration on both my 8T-E (RX8) and ERBE (MMM).

RC Qualifier
    Minnesota, hey look it's snowing again...
    Ive never tryed an external bec before. Does it require a different battery pack to operate it or does it just splice into the main packs?

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner6903
    hmm... but if hitec says the servo will run at 6v then wont the servo get fried at 7v??? also, how do you make it so that it powers the servo only??? from what i understand the cc bec is meant to power the the receiver instead of the esc. i think the instructions say to remove the red power wire from the esc when installing the bec so thats why im asking.
    The 7950TH is HV and rated to 7.4V.

Quote Originally Posted by Shea al'Thor
    Ive never tryed an external bec before. Does it require a different battery pack to operate it or does it just splice into the main packs?
    It uses your main packs. I have it soldered to my male ESC connectors.

RC Qualifier
    MMM/RX8 ESC plugs into Rx normally. I use a custom harness that runs the signal wire from my Rx to the servo and the 7V from the standalone BEC to power the servo. Basically a female/female adapter that connects the BEC to the servo with the servo signal wire removed and plugged into the Rx. I use this configuration on both my 8T-E (RX8) and ERBE (MMM).
    Can this setup be used on the stock electronics. What exactly do you mean signal wire removed and plugged into the Rx. Do you put the single signal wire in a female servo plug and insert that into the Rx with the other 2 wires removed basically making the 3 wires of the servo into a 2 wire plug and a 1 wire plug? And still using the BEC from the RX8 or MMM to power the Rx?
    xl-5 Stampede
    ERBE Tekin 6s
    ERBE MMM 4/6s

Can this setup be used on the stock electronics. What exactly do you mean signal wire removed and plugged into the Rx. Do you put the single signal wire in a female servo plug and insert that into the Rx with the other 2 wires removed basically making the 3 wires of the servo into a 2 wire plug and a 1 wire plug? And still using the BEC from the RX8 or MMM to power the Rx?
    I don't see why stock electronics wouldn't work. May even work direct if the Traxxas Rx is 7.4V compatible (don't use them so I never asked). I only use this more complicated setup because I have seen mixed results trying to run the Futaba 604FS receivers above 6V and I don't feel like replacing $100 receivers often.

You have it exactly right how I have it wired but it's actually a male plug to the Rx. Yes to the second part as well. The ESC BEC powers my Rx, transponder, and fan on the ERBE.

RC Qualifier
    isnt there a way to get a lil more out of the servo if you are using a futaba radio , i have a futaba radio and i am unsure if it will work but there is an option for digital servo's i believe , anyone running a futaba and know about this ?

RC Qualifier
    I run it straight through right now and I'm wondering if that could be the cause of my recent RX8 failure... Too many volts to run the fan. I'm also worried that the 7.4v is going to run my Traxxas Rx.

How does everyone else run it on here? Has anyone had any problems with running 7.4v through there Traxxas Rx?!
    xl-5 Stampede
    ERBE Tekin 6s
    ERBE MMM 4/6s

I got lost so I stoped & had a cookie in the cookie factory. OK the 7950TH is HV and rated to 7.4V got that. How am I wiring it to just power the servo? Picture or a drawing please. Thanks. Yes I am making it harder than it realy is.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    It's simple really

edit: apparently doing this mod makes your servo case beefier (as seen in pic :P)
    Last edited by Cultivate; 06-17-2010 at 03:38 PM.
    xl-5 Stampede
    ERBE Tekin 6s
    ERBE MMM 4/6s

RC Champion
    Now I'm a tad confused..

Could you post some pics please.

I've been running my 7950th straight through my 604FS for a little over a week now at 7.4v and haven't experienced any problems.

But like you mentioned, I don't want to be replacing $100.00 receivers either..

Edit: I think I got it now. The signal wire from the MMM by itself into the RX. And the external BEC, or is that the,..ummm, can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about the...things?

D'oh!!
    Last edited by SlotterHouse; 06-17-2010 at 04:09 PM.

RC Qualifier
    It's simple really

edit: apparently doing this mod makes your servo case beefier (as seen in pic :P)
    oh ok.... lol. outta curiosity though, if i were to wire the bec into the receiver directly and use the bec to power the whole system instead of using the esc, would i notice a difference in power to the servo???

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner6903
    oh ok.... lol. outta curiosity though, if i were to wire the bec into the receiver directly and use the bec to power the whole system instead of using the esc, would i notice a difference in power to the servo???
    Do you mean the BEC from the ESC or do you mean the External BEC like Castle Creations EBEC? if you mean wire the Red wire coming from your ESC directly into the Rx, I'm thinking no you will not see a difference. If you mean wire the EBEC directly into the Rx and power everything, what would be the point? You can just plug it into the Aux/Battery port on the Rx and achieve the same thing. This is the setup I'm currently running.
    xl-5 Stampede
    ERBE Tekin 6s
    ERBE MMM 4/6s

RC Qualifier
    i was just asking because i was thinking about adding the cc external bec to my receiver and disconnect the red wire that comes from the esc. and i thought it would help because the mmm only puts out 5.1 volts and i can tune the external bec with my castle link to 6.0 volts.

RC Qualifier
    yeah, I have that setup now but I run the 7955th.
    xl-5 Stampede
    ERBE Tekin 6s
    ERBE MMM 4/6s

RC Qualifier
    oh ok. thats the servo that i run. so the servo would benefit wiring it into the rx, right?

RC Qualifier
    no wiring needs to be done except into new connectors that you will "plug in" to the bec and Rx. I don't know if 7.4v is an issue for the Traxxas stock Rx and if it isn't then I wouldn't recommend doing the picture I posted at all. The only reason Hoovdog did is (as he stated) is because there are issues with his futaba Rx running on voltages higher than 6v.
    xl-5 Stampede
    ERBE Tekin 6s
    ERBE MMM 4/6s

RC Champion
    OK, forgive my ignorance, for I was never the sharpest knife in the tree.

But is this right.

The MMM's ESC/BEC plugs into the RX as it comes stock.

Then the (+) & (-) wires from the external CC BEC goes to the (+) & (-) of the 7.4v servo.

Then the servo's signal wire (by itself), plugs into the RX.

And if this is the case, I'm assuming the 3rd wire on the CC BEC is for programing. And if so, what do you do with it??

I just love learning something new everyday,...It helps in making up for the things I forgot.

RC Competitor
    no wiring needs to be done except into new connectors that you will "plug in" to the bec and Rx. I don't know if 7.4v is an issue for the Traxxas stock Rx and if it isn't then I wouldn't recommend doing the picture I posted at all. The only reason Hoovdog did is (as he stated) is because there are issues with his futaba Rx running on voltages higher than 6v.

Where do you solder the two wires (black and red) that are attached to the CC BEC to? In the wiring diagram it shows a setup with only one battery and on the ERBE there are obviously two batteries so I'm a little confused. Pictures would be great. Thanks