It has been quite some time since I last had any sort of R/C related project. Since I've had so much going on, I just haven't had time to play with the R/C's. But now that I'm basically taking a summer "off," I have a little more free time for all of my hobbies, vs. just a couple of them. This is my most recent project... a new Villain.
I wanted to buy a Villain since I got into the hobby back in the late 90's. I wanted to buy one in kit form, but waited too long, and was forced to buy an RTR version back in 2002. Ever since then, the Villain has gone though a number of changes. As much fun as I have had with it over the years, I always wished I could have built one from scratch. That dream has now become a reality... I managed to find a Villain IV in kit form, brand new in the box. Today was the day... I broke the seal and began the build.
Here are some pictures of the box before I opened her up:
Here's something we don't get to see too often these days... parts bags!
The flotation foam that keeps our beloved Villains from sinking to the murky depths.
As some of the members who have been here for a while know, I wanted to install navigation lights on my original Villain. The problem was that I was unable to find a way to route the wires through the pre-assembled hull. Now that I have an un-assembled hull, I can now run the wires! Here's a picture of the bow nav. lights:
So far, I have just assembled the first bag (A) and glued the upper and lower hulls together. I used hot glue instead of the supplied ABS glue so that if I ever need to take the hull apart again, I can.
My plan is to assemble the boat completely stock. I want to give her a run at least once in stock form. Then I will take the parts from my old boat and transfer them over to the new one (motors, ESC, props, turn fins, etc.)
I will be sure to keep you guys updated on my progress...