RC Qualifier

Nitro Rustler CVD = Slash 4x4 goodness

If you’re like me, you’ve had problems with the plastic telescoping drive shafts getting dirty & seizing up. Mine were so bad, the suspension was no longer moving. I’ve removed & cleaned the pieces, even trimmed off some of the inner shaft, but to no avail. I started looking into CVD’s, but even the one made for the Slash 4x4 were telescoping, and I was afraid of running into the same issues.

I saw the type made for the Rustler/Stampede, and liked the design better – a cup that mounts at the output shaft, and a “bone” design that allows travel. I popped onto the MIP web site, and there was a Q & A section in which they said the length of the shaft for the Nitro Rustler is the same as the Slash 4x4. My LHS has two locations, and each one had one set, so I bought them. Best move I ever made! The fit is just right, the design is great, and they’re cheaper than the ones “made” for the 4x4.

So, why not a clean pic? Because, that’s the whole point – this is the kind of muck & mire that would have the half shafts seizing up. With these, the movement doesn’t get bound, they keep moving freely. Plus, the axels are beefier too. A somewhat expensive upgrade, but the suspension is doing what it’s supposed to now, and the truck handles soooo much better.
    Censorship is wrong

RC Champion
    Are those MIP's?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dude
    Are those MIP's?
    Indeed – part number 08106

http://shop.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=WR&I=LXWLD2
    Censorship is wrong

RC Champion
    Well, good luck. MIP doesn't have a very good design for the electric Rustler, and I haven't heard anything good or bad about these ones.

RC Qualifier
    I would love to get some CVD's, but I'm waiting for the Traxxas ones with the dustboots... when are they going to finally come out????!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dude
    Well, good luck. MIP doesn't have a very good design for the electric Rustler, and I haven't heard anything good or bad about these ones.
    agree....
    I had broke 2 set of MIP CVD on my Jato. after switch to THS, no issue!
    Slash PE & Ja-two.

RC Racer
    i cant wait for my LHS to have some teknos in, they keep offereing me MIP but i keep saying no dice. i really wish traxxas would get on that and do something about the lack of CVDs for the slash 4x4 as they would atleast get shipped to my LHS faster than the teknos will lol
    4X4/sw.kit/rpm fr & rr/m.flaps/motor&esc kw club!

RC Qualifier
    striking jealousy into the hearts of all onlookers!
    With Tekno there is a commitment and Im not ready for that.

So Traxxas show me what you got are it will be the FLM stub axles for me .
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-04-2010 at 10:31 PM.
    I got skills!

RC Qualifier
    Well, I was out today bashing hard, and did indeed break one at the point where the axel meets the shaft. I must admit though, I beat the truck more than usual, so something had to give (just wish it wasn’t the new/expensive/hard to find item)
    Censorship is wrong

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigV
    Well, I was out today bashing hard, and did indeed break one at the point where the axel meets the shaft. I must admit though, I beat the truck more than usual, so something had to give (just wish it wasn’t the new/expensive/hard to find item)

That sux, And I was about to but them!

I really dont know witch one to get!
    My WIFE drives her slash like she stole it...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by fastman
    With Tekno there is a commitment and Im not ready for that.

So Traxxas show me what you got are it will be the FLM stub axles for me .
    The fear of Tekno carriers is strong in this one!

J/K!

I really don't understand though... best I can tell, there isn't much commitment.

CraigV is a good example. (Sorry Craig!) He bought a set of MIP CVDs that received mixed reviews on the lighter 2WD trucks and installed them on his heavier 4WD truck. They broke. (albeit after a hard bashing session) At this point, he's out the money for the CVDs, right? Sucks to be him, right? If he doesn't like the MIPs anymore, he won't purchase another set. At that point, he's lost his money and finished with his "commitment" to MIP..... How is this any different with Tekno? You purchase the Tekno gear for $10 more than the CVD kit CraigV bought (a $35 kit), install it... and if a CVD breaks, you shout "oh crap" and then re-install your old gear, never to deal with Tekno R/C again. Happily ever after, right? Where's the commitment? Is it the hub-carriers thing? So far I'm not seeing people break those.

People are -really- seem to be spooked by how much stuff the (cheap and effective so far???) Tekno R/C kit replaces, when it's really only replacing 2 additional parts at the back (plus bearings) and the same number at the front (vs any other CVD kit). Their hub carriers cost less than RPM, and RPM or aluminum is what you were going to install with other CVDs anyway, right?

I sure hope I'm not the big idiot here. I'll find out when my Tekno Rear CVD kit arrives from backorder and I start breaking carriers left and right, eh?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-04-2010 at 10:31 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I don’t know man, I was pushing the truck much harder than I should have been. Driving straight into large/rough/rock covered hills that go up at a 70 degree angle at full throttle – something was bound to break. I still like the way the set up works, so I’m willing to give it another try.

It’s the nature of the beast – drive, break, repair, upgrade…it’s an endless cycle. If it’s not a CVD, it’s an A arm, shock, axel, chassis, shock tower…what can you do, save for getting out of the hobby all together.
    Censorship is wrong

RC Qualifier
    I agree, my wordy post boiled down to 2 things:
    1. As mentioned by others in this thread, MIP only has a so/so track record with these things. Really seems to depend on who you ask, I never ran them.
    2. Fear of Tekno's kit seems irrational.

I'd rather break something other than my CVD though, that's the thing.

What broke on yours?

The CVD cups shattering on MIP's new dual-CVD sliders has been a subject of complaint here in the Slash 4x4 forums. I've heard the same complaint before about MIP's traditional kits. Recently I went to a hobbyshop looking for a Tekno CVD kit. The manager didn't have any, and recommend a MIP kit. He told me that the only problem they'd had with the MIP kits is the little pin breaking, and that the best option for that was to replace it with a bit of hardened steel 2mm drill bit. I didn't bite after seeing too many threads like this:
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=509813
    (which links to pictures like this: http://www.rcshortcourse.com/forum/s...6&postcount=25) Note that some people in the TRX forum thread are talking about the older standard type CVDs such as what you are using and some people in that thread are discussing the new ones (like in the picture).

I'm going to be pretty ticked if my Tekno CVDs do anything similar, even when I beat hard.

RC Qualifier
    The ring where the pin goes through. Seems to be the weak point. Of course, I lost the “bone” by the time I discovered the problem, so it’s not like I can just order the axel.

Censorship is wrong

If the MIP CVD doesn't break, it will just wear out to the point of breakage. I have had them wear out on both ends at the joint and at the bone. It should also be noted that I have worn them out in vehicles that have significantly less power than many of you guys are running...
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool
    If the MIP CVD doesn't break, it will just wear out to the point of breakage. I have had them wear out on both ends at the joint and at the bone. It should also be noted that I have worn them out in vehicles that have significantly less power than many of you guys are running...
    Where did you go from there? eg if MIP wasn't satisfactory, did you find a brand selling products that made the cut?

RC Enthusiast
    The ring where the pin goes through. Seems to be the weak point. Of course, I lost the “bone” by the time I discovered the problem, so it’s not like I can just order the axel.

It's the same way with the Tekno's.
    Here' my set of Tekno's after just 5 minutes at Stateline track.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusthepirate
    Where did you go from there? eg if MIP wasn't satisfactory, did you find a brand selling products that made the cut?
    I have yet to find a setup that I like, unfortunately.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool
    I have yet to find a setup that I like, unfortunately.
    As I feared. There's just so little space to work with in 1/10 scale trucks, considering how much power a person can easily shove in there.

Thanks for the feedback though, regardless of how depressing it is to hear a marshal say that.

RC Qualifier
    I found another set locally, and bought it. I followed the companies “bullet proofing method” by adding grease in the link with the bone & axel. Took it out, ran it hard, hit a tree (stupid tree ), broke an A arm, but the CVD stayed intact. Hoping for these last a while, as they do make the truck handle much better – the turning radius tightened way up, and the suspension now travels as it’s supposed to.
    Censorship is wrong

RC Champion
    Cooleocool :

Where are the TRAXXAS CVD's ??? Thats the question. Are they close to being released ?
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Qualifier
    I did this back in Feb. Worked like a charm. Never bent. Never broke even with MMM 2200 power on 4S.

RC Qualifier
    Update – called MIP, they told me there was a problem with the heat treating of some of the early manufactured pieces, said to send what I have in for a replacement. Good to know they stand behind their product.

Which brings me to my next point – everything, no matter who makes it, or what it’s made from will eventually break. I still feel this is a far better product than the stock item it replaces, but I’m looking forward to what Traxxas has in store.

Quote Originally Posted by rlopez
    I did this back in Feb. Worked like a charm. Never bent. Never broke even with MMM 2200 power on 4S.
    What exactly are we looking at? The heat shrink tubing at the end of the bone? They now make a plastic retainer ring that screws onto that joint.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-08-2010 at 05:59 AM. Reason: merge
    Censorship is wrong

RC Qualifier
    Adapting 2wd Slash CVD's to the rear of the 4x4 is nothing new and I posted that picture because you were making reference to this mod like you had stumbled upon something ingeniously new.

The heat shrink keeps the red collar on since it likes to back out considering the threads are thousands of a mm deep.

RC Qualifier
    Update – called MIP, they told me there was a problem with the heat treating of some of the early manufactured pieces, said to send what I have in for a replacement. Good to know they stand behind their product.
    A problem with the heat treatment on the early Nitro Rustler CVD's?? I'm ready to believe it, I just wanted to point out that it seems a little odd. Those would be some very old parts at this point.

Are they replacing the whole pair?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopez
    Adapting 2wd Slash CVD's to the rear of the 4x4 is nothing new and I posted that picture because you were making reference to this mod like you had stumbled upon something ingeniously new.

The heat shrink keeps the red collar on since it likes to back out considering the threads are thousands of a mm deep.
    No, just didn’t know if others realized these fit & work. Went out again today to my favorite dirt hill, bashed hard (not always on purpose) and everything held its own. Here’s hoping for a long stint with this set of CVD’s.
    Censorship is wrong

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by madkawi650
    Cooleocool :

Where are the TRAXXAS CVD's ??? Thats the question. Are they close to being released ?
    That IS the question...
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SirSlash4x4
    That IS the question...
    No, the question is – What is The MaTRiXXS?
    Censorship is wrong

RC Qualifier
    Random question because I'm not familiar with the Rustler/Stampede platform. Are there others companies that have developed CVD's for them that would be a better option the MIP's?
    MERV/MMP/1112 1y/4s
    Slash 4x4/MMM/2650/4s/5s

RC Qualifier
    New update – Got a call from MIP, they said they received my broken bits, and are sending out a complete replacement with the newest axels (better heat treatment) Very good customer service.

Also, I went back to my favorite dirt mound to do some more bashing the other day – a lot of heavy hits, tumbles & flips (some unintentional) and no broken parts. I wonder if the first set maybe had an issue with binding in the joint between the bone & axel, and if lubing the pieces helped?
    Censorship is wrong

RC Champion
    Thanks for the update, can't wait to hear how the newest ones turn out. Been looking at a couple CVD options and think this may be the winner...

I wish every company had as good of customer service as the RC companies do
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p