RC Competitor

VW Beetle body paint ideas

So this is what my truck looks like now

and i just ordered a VW body for it along with JConcept Tense beadlocks. I am going to keep the Rash (Revo/slash) body for my basher and i want to make a purdy one the VW. I am tryin figure out what colors to paint it. I have red RPM arms/Stock push/toe links and the HR with red pillowball screws so i kinda have a red theme going. So i was thinking white/red mostly red with either white fenders or white side panels and black windows.

RC Enthusiast
    how about a copy of a hot wheels from 97/98?

Last edited by volkl_boy; 06-01-2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: bad link

RC Competitor

I was thinking like that but with red and white. Less detail the better =)

RC Enthusiast
    Nice, easy to paint too, You think with slash suspension and some vintage wheels like hpi you could get fenders over axles? i think it would look good

RC Racer
    Try the Tamiya Sand Scorcher or Rough Rider tires. Check some rock crawling forums, but I'm pretty sure they fit 'mini' wheels. You can always narrow some tires for the front.

RC Competitor
    That was kinda the idea. I orginaly bought a slash and converted it to a merv so i have all the slash parts still. When i find a cheap semi-roller (i have shocks,cvd,a-arms, push,toe, bulkheads,wheels so i need eveything else) on here or ebay i will buy it and have a slash and a Merv and put all my stock suff on the slash and go with a castle setup for the Merv. All in due time.....

RC Qualifier
    herbie the volkswagen beetle from years ago

RC Competitor

Now this picture's got me thinking about beige side panels (i know it's just an RC car but it's still in the mail and my car is in a box so nothing better to do than plan!)

No one else has painted up Bugs????

RC Competitor
    So my parts arrived!!!!! lots to do new bulkheads, wheels, heatsink, rollbar, gearing and of course body!

So how do i paint this thing? Do i cut it and fit it before i paint it? there is an overspray film on the outside right I should just mask off the windows and side panels paint red then take the sidepanels off paint tan then windows off and shoot black right?

RC Qualifier
    i've just had a look on wheelspin models and they are now listing the proline vw body

oh wow - i'm gonna decide to go and rebuild my entire merv, instead now, rather than buy a new one. seriously, seeing that body has now spurred me on into action.
    ... oh, and sorry about your wallet

RC Enthusiast
    looks like a good shipment, I'd mask, paint tan, mask windows, paint red, trim, then if you dont like clear windows, paint the black, imho

RC Competitor
    We'll this sucks there is no red spray paint to be found =( So my colors are

Blue, yellow, brown, tan, green Now i am thinking blue with brown side panels... i will keep looking for paint!

Do i cut and fit the body before i paint it?

RC Enthusiast
    Defy, I got some red spray paint here on Warhorse If you can wait til the next time we patrol out there, or find a signal company or field artillery batallion they are almost guaranteed to have red paint, Or even the self help/tool shop on penn. ave out there may have some? Let me know If i can help you out

RC Champion
    Paint dark to light
    -Super hopped MERV
    -Lidz by Skrizz

RC Competitor
    So i cut the body (not easy with regular sissors) and i couldn't get the fitment right! It just seams like the body it to short so after fussing with it for a bit i got it to semi work but i am not happy with it. On another fourm someone took a 1/10 body and made it work and it looked real nice so when i get back home i might do that, or i might get get a 1/10 Revo we'll see.

So after i got fustrated with the fitment i chalked it up to another 20 bucks down the drain and decided it's going to be my new basher body so i went ahead and painted it up blue and tan.

Last edited by Defy; 06-08-2010 at 03:08 AM.

RC Qualifier
    ^ that body doesn't look right, for some reason. is that the one for the mini e revo or the one for the baja trucks?

RC Competitor
    yeah i just looked at the label that came with it and it doesn't say 1/16th it say mini crawler (3238-30) I think the Merv one is (3238-31)!!!!!!!! Dang it Toyz!!! I'll email them but now that i painted/cut it up i can't send it back. I'll make sure they know so they can take that one out of the REVO section.

This is the one i bought
    http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...%201/16%20REVO

aHHHHH they even have two different ones (this one is out of stock!!)

http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...%201/16%20REVO

Not too happy

RC Qualifier
    ouch man. i'd try contacting them anyways - maybe the'll let you return it.

RC Competitor
    my bug in the works.

RC Competitor
    Nice, the two tone is sick.

I did contact Toyz and this is what they sent back...

Hello,

Um.....actually it does fit as I was selling these for the Mini Revo for 6 months before proline took our advise about making a bug. The pictue is of the body mounted on my old mini revo and I have sold around 50 with no complaints

Oh....for almost a year, I guess I posted this last July http://thetoyz.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22677&hl=

Thank you and please let us know if we can do anything else for you,
    So it looks like i don't know how to install bodies.... Either way why would proline make a new body if this one fit so well???? If you go back to the toys page and look at the pic real close it's not even mounted! no posts and you can see the battery compartments. >=|

Anybody else have this problem?
    Last edited by Defy; 06-08-2010 at 02:17 PM.

RC Competitor
    i'll let you know how mine fits this weekend. I'll also verify which one i got.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by parusa3
    i'll let you know how mine fits this weekend. I'll also verify which one i got.

Please do! If you have the 3238-31 version and it fits well i might be ording another one from tower (Dang coupons!!!!).

RC Competitor
    here it is. sorry, i couldn't find the version i got. the sticker sheet says "#3238-89B" haven't mounted the holes yet. so, it's a little high right now.

RC Qualifier
    i've never heard of that product number from proline. but that body also looks a little small

EDIT: here's the proline ones from their site for reference

Last edited by Wiggy Fuzz; 06-11-2010 at 12:08 PM.

RC Competitor
    Looks good your body looks longer than mine. Can you measure from the rear tail light to the front lip for me? Mine was 10 1/4 inches.

RC Competitor
    It looks like you're not afraid to put you truck through it's paces. How has the reliability been? please let a newbie know he made a good 300.00 decision!

RC Competitor
    Dude, the yellow one is hot with the sweet rims. Love it. The red one is OK too, but the yellow covers the suspension more so it would be hard to guess is "Rash".

RC Qualifier
    they're not my pictures, they're from the proline website. they recently released a proper baja body specifically for the merv. the crawler one always looked too small and tight.

RC Competitor
    My beetle MERV:

My two dauthers MERV (XXX Main glue for sponge bob):

- 2x E-Revo 1/16
    - Summit 1/16