RC Champion

Why Shorter Shocks in the Front?

Just a quick question... hit me in the face... why are they shorter in the front? Wouldn't you want as much suspension travel as possible? Could you run rear shocks in the front?
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Qualifier
    On a 4wd, longer shocks aren't needed since the suspension compression and droop are limited to keep the u-joints from binding when turning.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

RC Qualifier
    the only problem i have with the 4x4 shock they are straight up and down, they could have agled them out a LITTLE bit you know?
    2nd place is 1st loser......

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RCNEWB5150
    the only problem i have with the 4x4 shock they are straight up and down, they could have agled them out a LITTLE bit you know?
    that would be nice!!! The rears are too long to put on the front too. Someone told me that losi shocks worked great on the front. Not sure what model of losi shock, but I'm sure someone knows.

RC Champion
    I put some t maxx shocks on the front of mine.. Long as the back,, just use a farther out hole,, Theres your angle you wanted..
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Qualifier
    not the angle out sideways, like the 2wd is out forward!
    2nd place is 1st loser......

RC Qualifier
    How many 4wd vehicles do you see with the 2wd upkick? Probably a reason none of them are like that, yanno?

Putting longer shocks on the front does nothing. The front suspension travel is limited by the C-hubs, for the reason I already mentioned. Pull the shocks off and see for yourselves. The suspension arms only go up and down so far. The short shocks cover the full range, so longer ones aren't needed.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by turbowop
    How many 4wd vehicles do you see with the 2wd upkick? Probably a reason none of them are like that, yanno?

Putting longer shocks on the front does nothing. The front suspension travel is limited by the C-hubs, for the reason I already mentioned. Pull the shocks off and see for yourselves. The suspension arms only go up and down so far. The short shocks cover the full range, so longer ones aren't needed.
    Why? Why have less suspension travel?
    Is there some way to adjust this?

RC Champion
    why have less suspension travel? he just told you twice. and no there isnt a way to adjust it, it is what it is.

having the drive shafts at a large angle wears them out quick too. if they are straight across they will last longer.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SirSlash4x4
    Why? Why have less suspension travel?
    Is there some way to adjust this?
    Ugh.

The u-joints at the ends of the axles can only take so much angle before they bind. In the rear, there is more travel because the u-joints only have to deal with the angles from the suspension moving up and down. In the front, not only do the u-joints have to deal with the up/down movement of the suspension, but steering is also thrown into the mix. More travel would add too much angle to the u-joints which would cause binding. Get it?

RC Champion
    Ah.... Sorry.
    Just needed to read the above twice.

RC Champion
    I only used longer shocks becaue I had 8 T Maxx shocks and I bent a Stock Shock Shaft and the LHS had none in stock.. I mounted it way out in the last hole. they worked ok, but at that angle they has a weird progressive type feel which made the truck handle great on asphalt but bounced bad in the rough stuff.. Also,, the first run on the track I bent the T Maxx Shock shaft like the letter "J"... I think being mounted WAY out there makes it weaker and more prone to being bent when the Arm flexes.
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC poster
    If you are feeling adventurous, you can take a set of aluminum arms, cut and grind on them and get almost the same travel as the back. That is what I did for my mt conversion, running long shocks on all four corners.
    I don't know how long this will last, you have to grind on the end where it goes into the c-hub and it makes a weak point where it might break.
    I have been running like this for over 2 months, with mmm/2200 and the only thing I've broke so far is the rear axles, dang torque!

RC Racer
    http://www.4xshaft.com/driveline101.html

this might help explain the angles better
    4x4 slash
    08 F350 6.4 diesel