Thread: Pinion threat

RC Qualifier

Pinion threat

Hello guys!
    I switched to brushless today!! Bought the Tekin Rx8 gen2 + T8 2250kv motor
    And now I am looking for a good and thick pinion (by thick I mean the length of the tooth, look at the pic)

Using this speed calculator, I need a 22t pinion to reach the speed I want (about 50-55 mph).
    Also, maybe I will buy a 18t or 20t, are Traxxas good?
    ... for the fun of excess!

RC poster
    That's a tough question to answer bacause the TOS doesn't want us talking up competitors products. There really aren't any bad pinion companies. Just make sure it's the right type of pinion and you'll be fine. If you plan on reaching that top speed, you will need alot of room to run around in. I had a 22t on a 2560KV motor, it took a lot of space, good depth perception, and a lot of focus to keep it in one piece. When your bearings go out, put in some really good bearings or you'll go through them pretty often. What tires and wheels do you plan on using? you'll want to tape your tires and ballance the wheels or you wont be putting any rubber down. Your tires will look like pizza cutters if you don't tape them. Please post some videos when you get it going.

P.S. Don't let anyone drive your truck

RC Champion
    Is that speed on 6s? Reason I ask is that motor is only rated at 4s.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Champion
    I have the same setup, well the original RX8 with a T8 2250kv, and I use Traxxas pinions. Which way did you have your pinion? I had to put mine so that the teeth were beside the motor with the setup screw outwards. Does that make sense? Also, I talked to Ty at Tekin and he suggested 14 - 18 tooth pinion. I think I'm running 14/56 or 60, but I'm running Series 40 Trenchers. Just watch your temps.
    1/10 Xray T3. No Traxxas RCs right now.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the tip, I plan running it on 4s, with my Series 40 Trenchers. Don't worry about the skills, I can run my 65mph stampede without problem. Maybe 50-55mph will be too fast for my untaped trenchers, so that's the reason I also asked for 18t or 22t pinion.

Quote Originally Posted by summitbasher240 View Post
    I have the same setup, well the original RX8 with a T8 2250kv, and I use Traxxas pinions. Which way did you have your pinion? I had to put mine so that the teeth were beside the motor with the setup screw outwards. Does that make sense? Also, I talked to Ty at Tekin and he suggested 14 - 18 tooth pinion. I think I'm running 14/56 or 60, but I'm running Series 40 Trenchers. Just watch your temps.
    I never ran it yet, I didn't thought of the temps
    In this case, the pinion will be determined by the temp of the esc and motor, depending on which will be hotter.

RC Champion
    Your Trenchers will balloon like crazy. It cost me more to buy them unmounted, but I'm glad I did. Don't let your motor or ESC go over 160 degrees. Someone please tell us if that Fahrenheit or Celsius, I think it's F.
    1/10 Xray T3. No Traxxas RCs right now.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by emmanhello View Post
    Hello guys!
    I switched to brushless today!! Bought the Tekin Rx8 gen2 + T8 2250kv motor
    And now I am looking for a good and thick pinion (by thick I mean the length of the tooth, look at the pic)

Using this speed calculator, I need a 22t pinion to reach the speed I want (about 50-55 mph).
    Also, maybe I will buy a 18t or 20t, are Traxxas good?
    Did you buy the gen2 + t8 motor as a package deal? If so where at?thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RC Qualifier
    I might have to unglue my tire to put tape... I will see how bad they balloon.

I bought the combo TEKT2320 at thebarnfloor.com, it was really inexpensive! (278$ + 17$ shipping but it looks like the price has increased to 290$)