Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RC Champion
    The 3905 one is longer than stock? So the bodies will be too short?
    Nothin' like a 4 on the floor and a V8

RC Qualifier
    Minnesota, hey look it's snowing again...
    You can still use your bodies from your 3905. There is the small possibility you might have to make new holes depending on how it fits right now, some people have to some don't. It's not too mich longer though. I wish my perents would let me spend that kind of money on rc.... I'm lucky if I can fix the things that break lol.
    Shea

RC Champion
    Could I grind down the bulkheads, where the shock tower mounts, so it would fit better?

RC Qualifier
    I don't know. Sorry what shock towers are you using? You might be able to put the body mounts on the other side of the shock towers if it becomes a problem. I really think it will be just fine though... It's not like you are pitting a mono block on it or something like that.

Shea

RC Champion
    For now they are stock plastic ones

RC Qualifier
    what kind of run times are you getting with the batteries?
    pin it to win it!

RC Champion
    Idk, I've never run them to the lvc. I took it easy the first time and put it away early, the second time 5 mins in i blew up my driveshaft.

RC Champion
    So I got dogbones today, it looks like the drive cups are the extended revo cups, they look identical to the ones I haver that are traxxas. I only tried the rear since my front was fine and it worked great. I ran the truck to the lvc this time. Sorry I forgot to time how long it ran My lipos are charging as I type
    Some temps
    ESC 1:144
    ESC 2:148
    Motor 1:166
    Motor 2 :168
    Lipo 1:100
    Lipo 2:100
    The only reason why they are diff is the lvc kicked on before the other and I have to drive it back in. I'm not going to do the unslow harness since I can really tell as soon as one esc goes down. I was running 17t pinions on the stock chevrons. My next run it 17t pinions on Big joes on axial beadlocks (heavier)

RC Champion
    Last night I went to test it out for the second time and about 6 min in the truck started driving funny. I put it in reverse and the rear tires spun alot. The front ones also seemed like they were locking up. So i took it in and my front driveshaft popped out of it sliding part. I just took it out and be done with it. I rolled the forwards and back and something happened in my tranny. Idk whether it was a stripped gear or one of my bearings went. So i just bought a brand new tranny off ebay so it'll up and running soon. This is kind of good since I needed a tranny for a boat project I'm doing (dual KD 700 HO nikko boat )

RC Champion
    The 2 bearings on the idler gear exploded and sent balls through out my tranny, and one got lodged really good into my input shaft so I bought a new input shaft b/c the old one is junk now. So I'll put this tranny back in when the input shaft comes and when the new one comes I'll swap them.

RC Competitor
    All that money and you haven't gotten a full run out of it yet?

Gosh maybe I better sell my e-maxx the second it arrives.
    E-maxxin with E-minimum cash...

RC Champion
    No I got one full run of hard bashing and testing. I don't see how but maybe the big joes caused the bearings to fail? Most of my truck has original bearings on it and I've run in water multiple times not to mention 2 winters now. The tranny is getting all scummy inside from a mix of water, grease, insides of bearings and plastic/metal gear wear.

This is brushless on a 1 1/2 old truck that has had lots of bashing, water and dirt into it. So everything was already kind of worn and brushless just speeds it up. I'm finding out what needs to be replaced and upgraded. Thats been the story of my whole rc career. The stock parts on my truck are the steering compnets, shock towers, body mounts, chassis, chassis braces, tranny, motor plate/cover, diffs, axle carriers, rear a-arms, and bumper mounts.
    Last edited by 02hawk; 07-20-2010 at 04:03 PM.

RC Champion
    I ran it yesterday with the new tranny. So it was going good for a while then I flipped it from a wheelie and white smoke bellowed out from under the body. When it stopped and I took off the body I was relieved that it wasn't the lipos that went off, one of my escs did instead. The waterproofing stuff was coming out the sides So I'm sending it to traxxas for them to fix it.

You running on 3s lipos? I would go down to 2s. You don't need that type of power out of a off-road Mt unless you have a huge field.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Champion
    I have 2s. I have some but I need to change the connectors. I like 3s b/c I have power when ever I want but I don't always use it, so that means more runtime. Plus I'm running big joes so they use some power to get moving. I had 19t pinions with it in low gear for running the big joes
    Last edited by 02hawk; 07-27-2010 at 03:55 PM.

RC poster
    Great job on the E-maxx, new to the rc world and this is waht i was looking for.Mine is the 3905 1 brushless engine running on 11.1 v lipo.Esc just boils over,lvc just boils,run time 2 mins.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidpaddle
    Esc just boils over,lvc just boils,run time 2 mins.
    You mean you fried you esc? Unfortunately that happened to one of mine too, luckily the only damage was to the esc and lipo. The real water proof test will come this winter

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidpaddle
    Great job on the E-maxx, new to the rc world and this is waht i was looking for.Mine is the 3905 1 brushless engine running on 11.1 v lipo.Esc just boils over,lvc just boils,run time 2 mins.
    If you were using the traxxas velineon system you need to use 2 of them. The vxl system was made to be used on a smaller truck than the emaxx like the stampede or rustler weighing only a few pounds where as the emaxx weighs over 10. People even sometimes have problems running it in the 4x4 slash which is way smaller than the maxx and not much bigger than it's 2x4 cousin. Look at how 02hawk configured his truck that's the correct way to do it.
    Hope this helps
    Shea

Btw in case I failed to say it in one of my preveous posts you maxx is amazing 02hawk. You did a really nice job on it.
    Suzuki
    Way of Life!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Shea al'Thor
    Btw in case I failed to say it in one of my preveous posts you maxx is amazing 02hawk. You did a really nice job on it.
    Thanks, I'll try to get a video up soon of it too.

Also would it be worth it to get some hpi phatalines over pl 40 series road rages? I have road rages but they balloon alot and it can get swirly at high speed with the sidewall flex

RC poster

Smile

This is just not my week,now my rustler is out of commision,bullet connectors from esc fell apart.Tried to solder them back to no avail

RC Champion
    Well here's a update. Last weekend I stripped out my 14mm stock rims so I'll have to steal the 17s off my revo.

Also broke a shock shaft but hhad aspare to put on luckily. Hopefully that wont happen when I put on the OFNA shocks with FLM towers (towers are on christmas list)

I'm going to put the chevrons on the geode wheels, they barely balloon at all.

Just put in a new traxxas link radio (i had the old traxxas 2.4 in it)

I have a new receiver box from either a rustler or 'pede that I'll mount up the has tons of room in it for the y harness.

Cant wait to get some snow up here (its 60 deg. this week )

RC Qualifier
    Hey 02hawk, I was wondering if I were to go brushless if I should go the twin vxl route or a mmm or an xerun system
    Vxl Slash
    Xerun E-Maxx
    HT Aftershock

RC Champion
    The other 2 probably have better performance, are cheaper, and have less headaches but aren't waterproof. You can void the warranty of them with plasti dip or whatever but thats no guarantee that will work, VXL 3s are waterproof out of the box. Plus nobody wants them in their slash 4x4 so they are going for wicked cheap right now.

My maxx is my winter/water truck. I have a revo 3.3 for everything else (it just needs a new motor)

The motors get up there in temps too, so the below freezing temps of winter should help that

RC Champion
    So I ran 3s the other day and I checked the voltages after it LVCed and the lipos were both at 11.8v They are 11.1v lipos so whats up with this?

RC Champion
    Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but I remember reading in other forums here that the VXL-3s can potentially have premature LVC triggers. If yours have this problem then you may need an external LVC/LVA instead.
    E-Maxx 3905 - Rustler 3707 - Slash 5805

RC Champion
    I remember I heard that too in the slash 4x4 forum. Its fine on 2s but cuts off way early on 3s. I guess I could just buy a cheap low volt. alarm for 3s running. I dont run 3s much so its not a huge issue but I only got about half the available run time, they are 5000 packs

RC Champion
    Heres some pics of the run today
    Heres my waterproof lipos (aka ziplock bags with a corner cut off for the wires)

RC Champion
    I think you got a little snow on your truck.

Do you do anything to seal the corners of those baggies? Not much snow here yet but I've been thinking how I can protect my LiPo batteries and LVC from water. Those are the only things I'm worried about getting wet as everything else for the time being is waterproof.

RC Champion
    Nope they are just open, not much snow gets in the little holes since I only cut off enough to squeeze the TRX plug through

For snow they will work great, water and mud idk how good they will be. I might end up throwing a ziptie on the hole to keep it tighter or tape.

Since lipos dont get hot and melt the snow there isn't much water around them

I also cracked a RPM rim while drifting. My driveway has granite stones lining it and I hit one will some speed

RC Champion
    True, snow is a bit of a different beast than water and mud. I like the zip tie idea, that'll probably be what I do. Either that or I'll just run on NIMH and not even worry about it. No point in risking my batteries if I don't have to.

I'm willing to bet the cold weather made those wheels brittle and that's why they broke.

RC Champion
    I think so too about the wheels. I actually saw a video on youtube of a savage doing a big jumps and breaking a RPM wheel in half in warm weather. So RPM plastic may not be the best material for wheels.

For snow like i said I wouldn't worry much but water and mud I agree on just using nimh. Or I've heard of people plasti dipping their lipos. This works for me right now so I'm just going to stick with it

RC Champion
    I think any wheel is in danger with big jumps and 10+ pound trucks.

Yeah, more I think about it the snow doesn't really scare me. I'll just bag and zip tie it up.

RC Champion
    What runtimes do you get on nimh?
    This parrot is NO MORE!!! This is an ex-parrot!!!

RC Champion
    I don't have any nimh to run any more. The last nimh pair I had, had a bad cell so I only have one 7 cell left, I think its going bad too.

RC Champion
    So we got like 3-4 inches yest and I ran the truck on 6s w/ paddles on the back. Unfortunately my truck was more like a plow b/c of how much snow we got.

But it still ran good I ran both systems until the truck wouldn't move and the batts were are 10.8v so If I run them down to the cutoff they are ok. I really couldnt tell the difference in the 50% throttle

you don't have to worry about completely sealing your lipos. what you have is fine. I also ran a twin V or almost 2 years and there is usually an issue with one of the vxl-3S escs triggering lvc when the other dosen't. most people can't see the speed drop in the snow and keeps going and eventually damages one or both of the escs.

I always turned the lvc off on both of the escs. you have to know your batteries, but i've never run them too low in the 2 years i used it.

hope that helps.
    I race Associated, I bash Traxxas. 28 years in RC

RC Champion
    Oh I know about them not LVCing together. I check them periodically during the run to see if one did LVC yet. My problem was that the 50% throttle kicks in early sometimes on 3s

RC Champion
    So i ran it on 3s today and b/c of all the rain and sun here in MA we have a inch thick layer of ice. And i have a field behind my house thats covered in 2 ft of snow. I was doing at least 40 mph out there. And it was with a busted shock! I had a couple of rolls and it messed the rear suspension up good. I still havent gotten my ofna shocks on yet b/c they dont work with the FLM towers unless i buy these. I got a short vid of it with my buddies stock summit (blew his doors off btw ) I also managed to loose the front driveshaft b/c one of the pins fell out. So i had a rwd 6s BL maxx on ice. I havent had this much fun in soooo long. I also trashed my body for good today so i need a new one. I also broke my rear skid off b/c i had a wheelie bar on and it snapped it right off. I cant upload the vid b/c its on my phone and the memory card adapter for the micro SD got lost again so i'll prob just buy a new one. My escs decided to LVC the right time, my lipos were at 10.8 v instead of 11.8 v for once.

Here's that vid

http://www.youtube.com/user/GRRR65GTO?feature=mhee
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-05-2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    So I finally know what my speeds are around. Runnning 17/68 on 3s I ran 38 it said on my droid. Im sure i could hit Over 40 if I wasnt worried about my phone falling off

RC Qualifier
    Looks good 02hawk! Post a video if u have a chance, would be awesome to see that thing go!