RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar

Slash 4x4 Rear End Binding

I recently took apart the rear end of my Slash 4x4 PE, slapped it all back together and now there is binding issues. If I tighten the 4 screws that you unscrew to access the slipper or center diff, there becomes a lot of binding in this area and the truck barely rolls freely. When I loosen them, the binding seems to lessen. It still seems as though that there is binding though. I did not change anything when I took it apart I just re-lubed everything. One thing I did do is where the diff and the slipper/center diff meet, the little ring around there was building up dirt so I threw some WD-40 into the ring. This may have caused it but I am not sure. I know something is wrong because the truck will not free roll and is really loud. I've scratched my head over this for a while now. I don't want to run loose screws in my truck. Also, when I spin the back wheels, the little ring where the diff/center diff meet spins as well. I am pretty sure this is supposed to stay seated. Did I lube the ring instead of cleaning it?
    These are the screws that when I loosen, the binding lessens. The other two are on the underside of the chassis.

Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Champion
    I try to isolate whats doing it.

remove driveshaft & try
    then remove slipper/centre drive and try

there is quite a few things that could be out of place, those screws MUST be tight to run

Al
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Racer
    #1, Throw the WD40 can in the garage and leave it there for Rusty cars.
    Unless you run through water and you need to disperse water from some bearings. That stuff is just nasty evilness. not to mention it stinks.

#2 Did you use the same exact screws to put it back together? I know silly question but believe me it can get mixed up. Sometimes screwing things up too tight makes it bind up also. Tighten it up and turn it 1/4 turn back, and check it. I usually run mine like that. stays nice and quiet. EXCEPT THE SCREWS YOU CIRCLED. keep them tight.

#3 Is the plastic bushing in the slipper clutch melted in any way shape or form? did any plastic at all come out of that area? make sure. 2mm of space in there can make a huge difference.

as for now I dont have any more tips.

I guess more info would be needed.

If you dont know how to clean bearings go to youtube and do a search on cleaning slash bearings and rebuilding slipper clutch. also there is a video or 2 on doing the diff's
    That big Gear in there I assume where you sprayed wd40, I just put a VERY VERY small amount of Lith Grease on it. Last few times i drove it I only used a Dry Lube such as a spray can of silicone. I pick the ones that dont leave residue's and dont smell real bad. I use those also on all the noisy suspension parts when im out on the field racing for a quick fix. works great.

Jeez, your right. Those can be messed up very easily.
    I will go out and check those tonight, as well as ordering all my lubes and stuff again that I need to have.

Thank you very much for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Grand National
    Jeez, your right. Those can be messed up very easily.
    I will go out and check those tonight, as well as ordering all my lubes and stuff again that I need to have.

Thank you very much for the tips!
    Seems to be fixed now but I will know for sure when I get my batteries in.

I switched the screws to find out if it was them and reseated my center diff bearing. I think my problem was that bearing not being seated correctly. Hopefully that is what was causing the binding. Thank you everyone!

RC Qualifier
    The first time I tore down the rear end, I had some binding when I put it back together

Turns out I didn't seat the slip joint properly when sliding the rear end back in place in

Quote Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER
    The first time I tore down the rear end, I had some binding when I put it back together

Turns out I didn't seat the slip joint properly when sliding the rear end back in place in
    Opening up an old thread here to hopefully save someone else a head scratcher. I did this as well, make sure you set it properly!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER

I've done the same. This truck requires a lot of maintenance but it's very simple to isolate what the issue is - like others have said just take it apart bit by bit and you'll get there!