Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    RC poster
    can't wiat for the final project great work man
    go fast or go home
    the pride of alberta

RC Champion
    I've been watching this thread for a while now, and I think what you're doing is amazing! Great job!
    Wide Rustler | "Bulldog" Backslash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Man i just got the first look at this project. Sorry i missed it so far but i'm glad i got to see it now before it got buried someplace.

RC Champion
    loooking good man keep it up!
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Champion
    cant wait man!
    Rustler VXL | Slash | Stampede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Talked to a new thermalfroming company today in town.. found him by fluke by driving home today and just glanced over and was like.. hmmm..... wonder if they do it too..

was just a plastics company BUT, when i called they said not only do they deal with lexan all the time, BUT they have also done RC bodies!

Jackpot!

So im heading there in 8 hours from now with my prototype and hes going to look over the project and let me know costs

RC Enthusiast
    Isn't it amazing how things seem to fall into place. Keep up the great work. I may need to get 1 if any are left from your run.
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, E-Slayer Pro 4x4

RC Champion
    you got some good luck! must have stole mine

RC Qualifier
    well, not so good of luck.. the guy does inverse moulds.. meaning, he kind of blows the lexan into a negitive.. rather then pulling it over a positive.. so.... hes out.. im not going to spend another grand making that..

however, i dropped my project off to another place for them to let me know if they can do it and he seemed positive (apparently there are a lot of different kinds of equipment out there, some better then others) so, i just need ot wait for him to get back to me..

well see! Ill update when i hear something

thanks for the encouraging words everyone!

RC Competitor
    hopefully this guy can get something going. i hope he can work with the lexan!
    whats a brake peddle???

RC poster
    Any updates?

RC Racer
    if he dose negatives why dont you just make a plaster mold ans let him use that??
    HOOAH!!

RC Qualifier
    It wont hold up to the pressures and abuse of the former..

RC Racer
    awwwww ok worth an ask lol
    HOOAH!!

RC Qualifier
    Rancho Tehama or Red Bluff area or California
    Have you seen the mold machine/press the Mythbusters use? It is a simple set up. Hole bunch of flood lights to heat up the lexan and then a vacuum set up from underneath to form the lexan around the object. It looked prety simple. Especially if you have a welder to assemble it with.
    Just a thought?
    Broken parts=New better parts

RC Racer
    theres a guy I tolked to that has a few vids on youtube....he made his own former from wood and a shop-vac........its simple.....he sticks the lexan in the oven...then on the former.......hes made 10-15 lids. all he did for the mold, was pour into one he already had (wasnt custom) and pop it out after it dried.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I just might have to look that up. I'm building a nitro rail dragster from scratch and all I need is some sort of body. Since it's all custom, nothing off the shelf will fit. I was going to make something out of plastruct, but lexan would hold up much better. It's going to be a stretched out rectangle, basically, so it think I could fab up a mold out of wood. Sheets of lexan are pretty cheap from Parma. I can't wait to see the finished Hummer!!
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Qualifier
    heres a video of a homemade body (2 piece) with a homemade vacuum former

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFhMV...eature=channel

RC Qualifier
    Updates???
    Your nitro is fat...It ate my Brushless Dust!!!!

RC Qualifier
    well hope they can get it to work
    Owner of: 1/10 Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition

RC Qualifier
    Yeah im fully aware of how formers work, and the molds, the reason he can get away with cheap plaster is that a) his vacum is going to be about 1/100th the power of a commercial machine, and b) he has the ability to leave it on the truck until its completely dry then pop it off.. the heat is also 1/2 that of a commercial machine, and hes using an alreadt formed body where they know there isnt going to be webbing and such..

The problems i have are trying to use a commercial machine, and time is money for them, so my mold has to stand up to a lot of punishment and pressure of the machine itself.. also, its a prototype, and my design is untested, so who knows what will happen with the webbing and such in corners until i do a few of them..

if i wanted to spend 300 bucks on a shop vac and some angled aluminum hooked into a stove element i could :P but my hope was to have these things come out looking as good as ones on the shelf, not like i made it in my garage...

HOWEVER

Here is the current situation...

I live in a place where not many companies are looking for work, and there isnt a lot of demand for non oil related manufacturing businesses around so i only have a choice of 3 thermal formers in my city. 1 said they cant do it, the other said no problem but +1000 onto my costs for an inverse (female) mold of my truck in fiberglass, and the other one hasnt gotten back to me in 2 weeks.. so even if he did, im not sure id want to work with them.

CONCLUSION:
    Lexan isnt a problem to get in town, so, what I may end up doing actualy is in fact building my own former and seeing how it goes.. I do not beleive these bodies im making will actualy require me to have the kind of pressure and equipment that a commercial place runs, and I think i can do the job pretty well by myself as long as i get a good 6+ HP shopvac and a decent former setup..

So, Im going to continue on with the project, however, the unfortunate part is that It will take time for me to now build a former, so the project has gone from not only making a new concept body, but to in-home manufacturing it!

Now, some good news if i do do this...

bodies will be cheaper :P I no longer have a 300 dollar setup fee, and 30 dollar a body "press" fee if i do it at home, i can simply buy the lexan sheets, cut them to size and pull them myself.. if they turn out decent, then i can do this over and over and over for just the cost of the lexan + my time.

Unless anyone has access to a 3d CNC milling machine and wants to do up a block of aluminum for free, this project is going to be delayed yet again, until i build this thing :P hopefully ill have some time to start working on it this weekend as its a long weekend..

And if anyone from JConcepts, proline, or Parma reads this, you can see there is a demand for this.. so.. you know, feel free to contact me and maybe we can work together on this with your equipment and just cut a deal

Hey, it was worth a shot to mention it ;P

RC Qualifier
    Telnets, you could do the fiberglass mold yourself...

RC Champion
    any brilliant plan has its bumps and upsets, i think the homemade way is a good idea, ive molded a fender for a scaler before with a shopvac, worked pretty well to. if you can make then with some decent consistancy, your gona be rolling man!

and best of all, its cheaper for us!

RC Champion
    You will make a bit of moola!
    Rustler VXL | Slash | Stampede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Sorry for the IPhone Pics, but my DLSR crapped out today on me for some reason..

Heres a quick update to the Hummer Project..

I decided not to wait for a thermal former and will be attempting to do it myself. Id rather fail at the thermalforming stage then stop now and never see the work I have put into the prototype even used...

So, I put together the prototype this evening and its currently sitting in my garage drying overnight.

You will notice all 4 "ends" have been put on but there are still some minor crasks and such.. That's not a big deal and they will just end up being filled with wood glue and you wont even know they were there when im done giving everything its final sanding.

Then, its off to build a thermalforming table This project just gets more interesting by the day i tell ya.

RC Qualifier
    I want pics while your thermal forming, I want to something like this too

RC Racer
    Telnets...where are you located?...no chance you are in central FL is there?....I would have not problem coming and helping build a former

RC Qualifier
    dude looks sweet. I cant wait to get my hands on one if it all works out. I have a custom paint job all worked out for it to, lol.
    Owner of: 1/10 Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition

RC Champion
    looks good man! could you give us a small build write up on the whole former, would be great!

keep it up, looking great as always

RC Racer
    man you almost made it! keep rollin'
    The Most Bashable/Washable Truck of the Year

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Geeze, it feels like you're so close!

RC Qualifier
    FYI - Im heading to the mountains this week camping, so I wont be back until Sunday of next week..

However I am taking wood fill, and sand paper while im out there (i mean what else is there to do when waiting for a fish to bite) so Ill post when im back on the result

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Telnets
    FYI - Im heading to the mountains this week camping, so I wont be back until Sunday of next week..

However I am taking wood fill, and sand paper while im out there (i mean what else is there to do when waiting for a fish to bite) so Ill post when im back on the result
    \m/ (><) \m/

RC Qualifier
    Wow lookin good, havent been on in a while, last time I saw this it was at page 2
    SLASH IS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Racer
    Id say just cut out the wheel wells and run with a wood body? lol Keep up the good work! It will pay off in the end!
    -Jato3.3--Merv-

RC poster
    can't wait u start a list of people who want it

+2
    go fast or go home
    the pride of alberta

RC Racer
    I found this video. I't is PERFECT!!!!! Explains how to build the fromer and everything

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5CGfoxnKaQ
    mini slash brushed 3s and 1/10 slash vxl 3s

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster power
    I found this video. I't is PERFECT!!!!! Explains how to build the fromer and everything

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5CGfoxnKaQ
    So cool! So could this be done with thin Lexan?

RC Qualifier
    it can, but lexan is a LOT thicker and takes a lot more heat then styrene.. most thermalformers that work with lexan actually heat both sides of it before forming.. the vacume also has to be quite powerfull to form it properly.. you will notice that even with the thin styrene, there isnt much detail in that "mask" that he did...

RC Racer
    Last edited by BlackFox; 08-03-2010 at 11:17 PM.