RC Qualifier

Novak Short Course System For Slash 4x4

Funny, I just made my own mounting plate out of lexan that resembles this exactly for my Novak system.
    4x4 PE & Beyond...

RC Qualifier
    When is this going to be available? I can't find it for sale anywhere yet. I've been waiting for them to release the new 550 motors and an ESC to go along with them. A nice drop in system like this will make things so easy.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

RC Qualifier
    I'd say this month. I have been to their HQ a couple times recently and they have promos in their lobby now.

The new ESC advances timing, and electronically reduces it when the temps get too high.
    4x4 PE & Beyond...

RC Champion
    Glad someone already posted this...

Here is an email I sent to Novak regarding if they plan to market a Havoc/Ballistic 550 SC system, with the plug and play that they offer for the 2wd Slash Havoc/Ballistic 540 size...

Slash 4x4 - Havoc 3S/Ballistic 550/ TRX prepped package ??‏
    Sent: Thu 4/22/10 3:39 AM
    To: tech@teamnovak.com

I have noticed that Novak has now come out with the 550 sized Ballistic Motor, marketed toward the 4x4 Slash.
    I also like the new Traxxas prepped #3080-#3082 Havoc 3S system, with TRX plug, and gold plated motor bullet plugs. I for one hate soldering and love plug and play..
    As a frequent poster in the Traxxas forums, I am inquiring if you will be marketing a similar plug and play, no solder, system for the 4x4 Slash that comes with the new Havoc 3S and 550 Ballistic motor as a package. Many people seem to ditch the stock VXL, and are going to Castle and Neu for a cooler running solution. I would think a single box package as described above would be an instant hit, and I would be happy to pass along any info you may have on this subject. I see some people are jumping on the 4.5 HV 550 motor in the mean time...
    If you could post some nice pics of the 4x4 system installed , with the new Ballistic 550 that would be great !

Thanks for keeping the business in the USA, I try to recommend using Novak for that fact if nothing else ! You seem to be the most American RC company around, yet still keep the price reasonable. I hate this invasion of Chinese made products that are direct shipped from their door to our doorstep, bypassing the LHS, distributors, Tower Hobbies etc.

Keep up the good work, and I'll be glad to help advertise a plug and play 550 based system for the Slash 4x4 !

Does Novak have any plans to get back in the charger business ? Or LiPO ? It seems the matched GP3300 selling didn't go too well.

Thanks, Brian

BT_EMT in the Traxxas forums...

Well imagine when I saw the new system that I suggested released today ! Dang, either Novak should hire me as a Traxxas Forum consultant..(will work for Novak products...) or some smart person there had this idea at the same time. Or they stole my idea ! LOL They one upped me with a nice video on how to install it though...

Interestingly I did get a return email from them... he said he would forward my suggestion to his boss. Not sure if he knew about the release at that time or not..

Just thought it was cool to see my EXACT idea pop on the market a week after I sent my suggestion in ! Before you could only get the 540 size Ballistic SC/Havoc with the TRX plugs and bullets pre installed, or the motor only 550 size HV version of SC...

Come on Novak don't I deserve a prize for inventing your next system to market ? :-)
    Last edited by BT_EMT; 05-05-2010 at 08:31 PM.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Qualifier
    Call me crazy, but that ESC doesn't take a week to develop and test.

I see that as the only thing that was holding Novak back from releasing a complete system.
    4x4 PE & Beyond...

RC Champion
    The wire bundle looks really nice and short, very professional looking.

The Havoc Pro is 3S right ? The TRX system they had before was the regular Havoc 2S - marketed to the Stampede, Rustler etc.

Wonder if they have a new HV system in the works... probably safe to assume they will open up a Ballistic 550 motor line soon marketed towards Maxx and ERevo...
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Qualifier
    The Ballistic 550 is a re-branded, rebuildable version of the HV motors.
    4x4 PE & Beyond...

RC Champion
    Am I missing someting here ? If the Havoc Pro can take 4S, then couldn't it be used in the Emaxx, either single pack 4s or series wired 2x2S ?

Gives you more options if you could just swap the stators... 6.5T and 7.5T.

http://teamnovak.com/products/brushl...550/index.html

To combat overheating while timing advance is activated, Novak has upgraded its Thermal Overload Protection™ feature. If the ESC starts to overheat, the speed control will turn off the timing advance. If ESC’s temperature continues to rise, a second thermal-protection feature will engage. This feature drops the speed control’s power to 25 percent, so drivers can safely maneuver their vehicle off of the track. This refined protection feature is exclusive to Novak’s newest sensored speed controls, like the Havoc Pro SC.

On top of that, Novak is introducing a new temperature indicator that alerts racers of their ESC’s temperature after each run. This indicator is so accurate that many racers use it in place of a temperature gun. A quick tap on the One Touch™ button at the end of a run will display the speed control’s temperature via a blinking LED.

Another feature that originated with Novak’s design team is the patent-pending NovaBrakes™. This revolutionary braking system provides instantaneous braking under any timing condition. Additionally, the brake response is incredibly smooth and immediate at any speed or throttle position, ridding the ESC of brake delay. In short, this new braking system has completely transformed the feel, response and use of traditional brakes.

Ballistic 550 Stators are available in four winds: 4.5T-7.5T

Combined with the NovaBrakes, Novak has refined the Havoc Pro SC’s brake and drive frequency settings, andadded a brake end point adjustment to provide drivers with unparalleled brake and throttle tuning options. Thebrake and drive frequency settings allow users to experiment with a softer or heartier brake and throttle input.

Nice the kids over at Novak are really kicking it into gear it seems in the R&D area! Like the "Highly Water Resistant" case. Teken better watch out, Novak is pullin in close... Castle ...ehh, seems like they are just the MMM/2200 guys now with a history of a problem 6S ESC, though eventually fixed, and great customer service...

Now it seems like :

Traxxas - waterproof VXL !!, great warranty/customer service!!, iffy ESC and Motor, not much changes or updates, good prices.... Made in Taiwan, serviced in Texas,

Novak - Highly Water Resistant case!, good warranty/great customer service!, rapidly releasing new stuff!, reasonable price, Made in the USA ! New trade in/up program.. Catering to the SC crowd as well as Monster, crawlers, and all forms of motors and ESC, Kinetic to be USB programmed..

Tekin - high tech, very expensive, rapidly evolving, USB program, great reputation on 1/8 scale ESC and motor, not sure where made...

Castle - Troubled history for MMM, USB program !, not advertised as water resistant, great 1/8 Motor (made in Asia) Neu design.., great customer service, Main company and service in USA, reasonable prices..
    Last edited by BT_EMT; 05-05-2010 at 09:51 PM.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by turbowop
    When is this going to be available? I can't find it for sale anywhere yet. I've been waiting for them to release the new 550 motors and an ESC to go along with them. A nice drop in system like this will make things so easy.
    Novak’s Havoc Pro SC Brushless ESC (#1745), Havoc Pro SC/Ballistic 550 Short Course System – 4.5T (#3115) and Havoc Pro SC/Ballistic 550 Short Course System – 4.5T TRA (#3116) are scheduled to ship in June 2010.

RC Enthusiast
    the thing i dont understand is that they talk about the 4.5 traxxas ready kit but show a 5.5 turn motor,i think im seeing that right??

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, they are using a 5.5 in the video and what looks like a 3s battery. I am not familiar with MaxAmps and I am aware they have more cells in parallel then any other battery manufactures. However, that jump @ WCRC they show it clearing, I can't do on 2s w/ my 4.5HV. At least not so convincingly.
    4x4 PE & Beyond...

RC Champion
    Too bad when you click on the link to the TRX system, it goes to a pic of the Jamin SCRT... lol

http://teamnovak.com/products/brushl...550/index.html
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Racer
    I only run my vxl on 2s with stock gearing and it gets hot. So this on 2s will be awesome. Can't wait till it comes out

RC Champion
    OOOOPS, sorry I thought the Havoc Pro was 2-4s, ... it's the motor that says 2-4s...
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BT_EMT
    Am I missing someting here ? If the Havoc Pro can take 4S, then couldn't it be used in the Emaxx, either single pack 4s or series wired 2x2S ?

Now it seems like :

Traxxas - waterproof VXL !!, great warranty/customer service!!, iffy ESC and Motor, not much changes or updates, good prices.... Made in Taiwan, serviced in Texas,

Novak - Highly Water Resistant case!, good warranty/great customer service!, rapidly releasing new stuff!, reasonable price, Made in the USA ! New trade in/up program.. Catering to the SC crowd as well as Monster, crawlers, and all forms of motors and ESC, Kinetic to be USB programmed..

Tekin - high tech, very expensive, rapidly evolving, USB program, great reputation on 1/8 scale ESC and motor, not sure where made...

Castle - Troubled history for MMM, USB program !, not advertised as water resistant, great 1/8 Motor (made in Asia) Neu design.., great customer service, Main company and service in USA, reasonable prices..

The havoc pro cant use 4s.. its only 2s capable.

You rate the Traxxas 30 day warranty "great" but the Novak 120 day warranty as only "good"?

I ran my PE with the stock motor and ESC for exactly 30 seconds. I dropped in my HV motor and MMP and never looked back.. the bigger motors have alot more grunt and run way cooler than the VXL.. Not tm mention the sensored smooth response to throttle input.. I will likely NEVER buy a sensorless motor again.

Oh.. Castle doesnt have a questionable history... the early MMM esc may have had issues, but the Mamba, sidewinder, Mamba 25, Micropro, and Mamba Max Pro ALL have outstanding histories, and frankly, as much as i LOVE the Novak motors, I cant suggest running them on anything but an MMP. It's a STELLAR combo... the Novak ESCs dont come close.
    Last edited by DrFizz2k1; 05-06-2010 at 12:19 AM.
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Qualifier
    So the new Novak ESC only does 2s? What gives with that? Guess I'll not be getting the combo then. I'll probably end up with a new Ballistic motor and a Castle MMP.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

RC Qualifier
    No, there is a Havok 3s version. I am not sure what this new ESC will be rated to.
    4x4 PE & Beyond...

RC Champion
    Duhhh, I was looking at the Ballistic 550 SC motor page, it said 3-4S.... that's what I was thinking of... DISREGARD the Emaxx comment !

Yeah that's what I meant about Castle... the early MMM was seemed disastrous... The fact that they are willing to upgrade my original v1's for free tells a story in itself ! I was purely referring to their MMM... certainly a questionable history.

I said great for Traxxas ESCs, due to many stories of them sending out new ESC's well beyond the warranty... sometimes with hardly a hassle involved. Seems like some support techs are pretty generous, and just send you out a new one, rather than play hard ball about the warranty.

Yeah not sure why Novak sticks with mostly 2S... maybe because they are more involved with sanctioned racing where 2S is the standard ?? That would be my guess. Since the other Havoc comes in 3S flavor, I would bet we see a 4S flavor coming along... they must see good sales of their 550 motor, yet with no ESC... Kind of odd... Traxxas for the vehicle, Castle for the ESC, Novak for the 550 motor, another for the battery.

Was it Tekin or Checkpoint that was selling a "Power Up" package for RTR SC ? Had hard case 2S LiPo, motor, esc in one package....
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Champion
    That was Team Tekin that had the power up package... not Checkpoint.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BT_EMT
    That was Team Tekin that had the power up package... not Checkpoint.
    Tekin R1 Slash Power System Upgrade Kit
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

Just thought it was cool to see my EXACT idea pop on the market a week after I sent my suggestion in ! Before you could only get the 540 size Ballistic SC/Havoc with the TRX plugs and bullets pre installed, or the motor only 550 size HV version of SC...
    Well when Novak marketing asked on another forum, if there would be any interest in the Ballistic 550 motors, I suggested they use them for the SC trucks. This was before a single SC truck had been released.
    Now if they would just listen to me, and give us a good 4s capable esc.
    Last edited by asheck; 05-06-2010 at 07:27 AM.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Champion
    A Novak rep (Novak Two) was saying a Ballistic 550 was coming more than a month ago on RC Tech ?

I bet you guys thought up Windows 7 as well ?

Anyway I am running the Havoc Pro HV4.5 system and so far its been rock solid , no need for 3s IMO as its very fast on 2s (about as fast as the VXL system on 3s) and will pull wheelies with the C/D in it and 120,000wt oil in the diff .
    At WARN 80% and climbing !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by J.A.T.O.3.3
    I bet you guys thought up Windows 7 as well ?
    windows 7 was my idea, havent you seen the commercial on tv?
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance
    I'd say this month. I have been to their HQ a couple times recently and they have promos in their lobby now.

The new ESC advances timing, and electronically reduces it when the temps get too high.

Just Called them , cause could not find any Specific Ordering and Info regarding Slash 4x4 on thier site.

Price ?? , says Unknown and not finalized
    Avalibility ?? , Mid to Late June
    3s or 4s compatibility ?? , not 100% known yet

now I will note I did not talk to Tech dept, they are out for lunch -- 2hrs ??

So Castle Creations it IS

Al
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    which novak sc motor is better though, the 3400kv or 3700 kv?
    Paul
    Slash 4x4

A Novak rep (Novak Two) was saying a Ballistic 550 was coming more than a month ago on RC Tech ?
    On RCM the discussion started in November, when they didn't even know if they would make it. Which was when I joined the discussion on it.

But yes, Windows 7, was my idea
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by akesj1
    So Castle Creations it IS
    Your loss....

Moving on.
    4x4 PE & Beyond...