RC Qualifier

transponder wiring?

hi there, my LHS is installing an AMB transponder system in about a month and i am racing SC 4x4 as well as 1/8 truggy with my e-revo, i obviously dont want to buy two transponders @ $100 each, so what i'm thinking is just buy two short servo wire extensions and swap the transponder between trucks? so i dont have to open the receiver box between races

would this work or is there a better way?
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Racer
    That is pretty much the only way. Another thing to keep in mind at least at a track we where at they required a transponder per kit. Being we where running different classes.. Which made no sense to me but hey what ever they say they are running the races.

The only other way, is to just rig up batter pack for it.. If you can spare the space... I have seen guys run off a 9V battery.

RC Competitor
    This works prety well. Just use good velcro on the chassis and transponder or you will have the transponder dragging by it's wires.

Later,

Mark

If you purchase the new RC4 transponder, they are separable from their mount. Buy as many mounts as you need and they clip in and out quickly. Sad part is getting one anytime soon. I put in an order for 18 for myself and some club members. They are saying May is the earliest to expect them if preordered.

RC Racer
    I think his concern is more the powering of the unit, The new RC4 does it not just have mounts, they mounts don't supply power though right? I mean yes you can leave the mount in the car but you still need to plug it into the receiver or your power supply each time no?

Quote Originally Posted by michael_lambert
    I think his concern is more the powering of the unit, The new RC4 does it not just have mounts, they mounts don't supply power though right? I mean yes you can leave the mount in the car but you still need to plug it into the receiver or your power supply each time no?
    I was elaborating on MDB's post. RC4's don't have the issue he was referring to in terms of mounting and wanted to point those out to the originator. The powering aspect was already covered so I didn't see any need to comment.

RC Racer
    Cool, I was looking more for my own use If they made a transponder with a power hub that it plugs into i would buy them up in a heart beat ! It's a paint removing them every time you want to.. swap cars.. and around here at $100 a pop i don't have one for each kit i run.

RC Qualifier
    not hard to make them selfpowered using tiny rechargeable cells ~100-150mAh

PT draws about 20mA