RC Enthusiast

Gear grinding on slash

My and my son were out yesterday giving our slash trucks some exercise when I started hearing a hard grindind noise coming from my truck. We were running them on a baseball field. That sandy dirt worked its way into everything. Thought for sure it was the motor being an open can. Started taking it apart to find sand behind the spur gear by the shaft bearing. Used a motor flush to clean the area, put it back together and was back in business. Does anyone have any ideas to help prevent this from happening again. Should have been a better design to enclose the gear cover by the drive shaft.

RC Racer
    The RPM gear cover will completely enclose your spur and pinion gears
    I Have Discovered That Going Crazy Can Be Fun

RC Racer
    I don't run a gear cover and have no issues at all,I run in anything from silt beds to the beach and have no prob's other then haveing to pick a grain of sand out of the spur once in awhile,nice thing is that I don't have to take the cover off to do it

The RPM cover might work for you,but it will not seal the area that you are referring to,dirt and sand will still get in from the motor side because the motor dosn't mount flush against the trany case
    If it's HOT,WET and STICKY,I'm in it !!!

RC Qualifier
    I have the RPM cover and can tell you it very effectively traps the dirt in and won't let it out. I'm thinking about drilling some holes in mine on the bottom so the dust can get out.

RC Qualifier
    LOL I just stripped my spur myself. I'm done with 48p I'm gonna swing to 32p and run it open from everyones good praises on the subject. Granted it's been over a year and 8 different spurs, I'd like a more tough design. Does anyone run the steel spurs? And if so do they hold up and work well? Or do they just chew on the pinion gears?
    Traxxas should just cash my checks for me

RC Champion
    Skip on steel spurs. They'll grind down pinion gears, and if the spur doesn't give, the transmission/diff takes the hit instead.