RC Enthusiast

Battery question

I am new to the RC world and just bought a 2wd slash. This thing is awesome and I want it to last specially the batteries. Right now I have 2 of the stock batteries that come with the truck. I am just wondering what type of battery maintenance there is. Here are a few questions:
    1. Can you leave them charged and if so for how long?
    2. How long after you run your truck do you wait to recharge it?

I have about a million other questions and will get them out in due time. I have 2 boys that are 8 and 6 that love driving the truck. I am going to buy them each a truck of there own soon. I just found a local indoor track that I am going to look at today. Mostly we are into extreme jumping. We built a ramp yesterday and jumped my chevrolet 1500 pickup truck. The kids loved it and that is what it is all about. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

RC Qualifier
    Welcome John!

I am not sure if there are any special rules abour NiMH batteries and storage, however I can tell you that it is best to wait for the batteires to be cool to the touch before you charge.
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Competitor
    Check with some of the places that sell batteries they have some good videos on them. You can go to you tube and get lots of info on rc. You can find clips on all the major brands and types. Look hard at the Stampede for your boys lots of fun and not so serious. Welcome to the Sport. Slashman51

RC Racer
    Here is some basic info to help with battery care. click me

RC Enthusiast
    I have always kept my NiMH batteries charged at 50% of capacity when I store them for over a week. LiPo batteries can remain charged for a very long period of time before they need a discharge.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by voltzipper
    ... LiPo batteries can remain charged for a very long period of time before they need a discharge.

Regarding Lipos:

It is actually better to the pack to store it at ~3.85 volts per cell (or whatever your mfg's recommendations are)

SMC recommends 3.3 volts per cell for their 5200 mah 50C 7.4V packs

Regards,
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Qualifier
    John, Whenever you get a chance you will want to buy a better charger if your using the stock one. You should also consider getting a charger that is compatible with LIPO batteries as they can be cheaper and provide more punch and more continuous power than NiMH batteries. They are also ideal if you eventually plan on going to a brushless setup.

When running NiMH batteries, you will want to stop running whenever you feel like your losing power. If you don't the battery will heat up quickly which isn't good for the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Krispy
    Regarding Lipos:

It is actually better to the pack to store it at ~3.85 volts per cell (or whatever your mfg's recommendations are)

SMC recommends 3.3 volts per cell for their 5200 mah 50C 7.4V packs

Regards,

Very true.I read quite a few threads on other forums about people having swelling issues from storing the 5200 40C fully charged.

As for nimh packs.It's good to let them sit for at least an hour before re-charging.Also,stop running as soon as you notice any drop in power.