Thread: Heat

RC Racer

Heat

Once my maxx sells i will by buying a slash 4x4 and running venom and max amps 2 cell 5000mah lipo's in it. How important is it that i get a heat sink and fan right away or can i make it buy without getting them. I dont have a temp gun but i was just wondering if i could get by leavin it stock and just feelin the motor to make sure its not to hot once in a while.
    Slash 4x4
    Losi xxx-t Brushless

RC Champion
    the trouble is, your finger cant tell the difference between 130 and 190.. and at 130 you can run just fine, but at 190 its time to take a break...

a jacuzzi is like 112, which feels hot... you start to get much above that and it will start to become very hard to tell 130 from something higher.. or even 170 which will burn you on about 1 second but is a safe temp versus 230 which will ruin the motor... you cant tell the difference... you think you can?? stick your finger in a fresh cup of coffee.. thats about 190.. hows that gonna feel?? Buy a temp gun...
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Qualifier
    I use the finger method, I know its not right but... if it is too hot to hold my finger on( about 130-150 I would think ) I stop driving for a few mins, I could run longer if I had a temp gun but why risk it. My finger might not be able to tell the difference between 150 and 190, but it will tell me the motor is TOO hot and to stop driving

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SirJaymz
    I use the finger method, I know its not right but... if it is too hot to hold my finger on( about 130-150 I would think ) I stop driving for a few mins, I could run longer if I had a temp gun but why risk it. My finger might not be able to tell the difference between 150 and 190, but it will tell me the motor is TOO hot and to stop driving
    Thats just it.. 150 is not too hot. for example, my 4600 in a rusty runs at 150.. i can bash the snot out of it, and it may go up a few degres, or if im on a track taking it easy, it may not make it to 150 at all.. but its right about 150 all the time.. that is where it levels off... going by your method, id never get to run.. it would always be too hot, and realistically, its not too hot at all.. not even close... is a temp gun that big of an investment to protect your electronics, not to mention protect your finger.. i hate when i burn myself.. LOL..
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Racer
    You may not need them.

I run mine on 3S 5000 30C packs and my motor never gets above 140 and my ESC hangs around 120. now i am running a JConcepts BAJR body so i get tons more air flow through the chassis and over the electronics than a stock body.

RC Qualifier
    The answer to your questions is variable depending on when/where/how/what setup you are running. My advice is get a temp gun and use it often. It's a very small investment relative to the total $ you are spending on the hobby.