Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Dear Diary, Day one Slash 4x4

Hi

By the way I have ERBE, E-Maxx w/ MMM combo and 3905 with 700-HO kit, all run 2x2S.

I got my Slash 4x4 a week or 2 ago but my 3S lipo only came yesterday so last night was the first time I ran it. Got to be honest, I was a not too impressed.

Charged up the battery 3S 5800 Mah 25/35C. Turned on the ESC, activated the LVC. Went out side and was going very slow cause I jsut wanted to see what it was like. It was pulling to one side to I adjusted the trim, 30 seconds later, it stopped. Steering was working but not forward or reverse. Took off the shell and Red light blinking slowly, wouldn't turn off so unplugged, run time less than 2 minutes.

Checked the forum for answers to the problem, found some. Decided to recalibrate the ESC & tx, turn it on it worked so recalibrated. Left it till this morning.

Took it out of quick spin and it was working but was dissapointed with the speed, my 700-HO e-maxx would have eaten it off the street. About 4 minutes before I had other things to do so took off the shell to turn it off and the light was blinking red again but it was working??? Turned it off and unplugged.

Later in the day took it out again for another quick spin, this time it was fast, still not as fast as expected(stock gearing) but was happier, made a few quick passes up and down the street, rolled it. About 5 minutes took off the shell blinking green turned it off.

I'm used to the bigger trucks EREB & E-Maxx so maybe didn't know what to expect, I am happier now that I was after the first run, hoping it gets better and better.

So its only had about 10 minutes run time, used the same battery, ESC or Motor never got warm but very different results, was using Sport Mode at all times. Any ideas why??
    KD 700-HO 3905 - FLM E-Maxx MMM - ERBE - Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    It sound like your in training mode.. The Slash 4x4 on 3S is INSANE... I have one and It is faster than my Revo 3.3... especially off the line. (when it stops frying the tires and hooks up).
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Racer
    Sorry you said Sport mode?

Where you running the ESC in Trainer or in forward/reverse normal mode or Race mode?

Honesty, i ran my 4x4 slash for the first time on 3S lipos ( 5000mAh ) the other day and i must say with the VXL system i could not go beyond 1/2 power with out the rear end going loose on me. I could punch it from a stand still and it would haul the front tires up and go. So if your looking for more than that, you might have bought he wrong Truck for what you want it to do.

If you are not able to go squrily and pull the front end off the ground from a stand still with a 3S pack you might want to double check to make sure all 3 cells are working, Make sure your not in trainner mode and if still your ESC maybe defective.

Quote Originally Posted by sevenie
    Hi

By the way I have ERBE, E-Maxx w/ MMM combo and 3905 with 700-HO kit, all run 2x2S.

I got my Slash 4x4 a week or 2 ago but my 3S lipo only came yesterday so last night was the first time I ran it. Got to be honest, I was a not too impressed.

Charged up the battery 3S 5800 Mah 25/35C. Turned on the ESC, activated the LVC. Went out side and was going very slow cause I jsut wanted to see what it was like. It was pulling to one side to I adjusted the trim, 30 seconds later, it stopped. Steering was working but not forward or reverse. Took off the shell and Red light blinking slowly, wouldn't turn off so unplugged, run time less than 2 minutes.

Checked the forum for answers to the problem, found some. Decided to recalibrate the ESC & tx, turn it on it worked so recalibrated. Left it till this morning.

Took it out of quick spin and it was working but was dissapointed with the speed, my 700-HO e-maxx would have eaten it off the street. About 4 minutes before I had other things to do so took off the shell to turn it off and the light was blinking red again but it was working??? Turned it off and unplugged.

Later in the day took it out again for another quick spin, this time it was fast, still not as fast as expected(stock gearing) but was happier, made a few quick passes up and down the street, rolled it. About 5 minutes took off the shell blinking green turned it off.

I'm used to the bigger trucks EREB & E-Maxx so maybe didn't know what to expect, I am happier now that I was after the first run, hoping it gets better and better.

So its only had about 10 minutes run time, used the same battery, ESC or Motor never got warm but very different results, was using Sport Mode at all times. Any ideas why??

RC Qualifier
    I think your setting is wrong. I run 2S and it flies, so I can only imagine what it would look like on 3S.
    FangsCPO
    "How fast was I going Officer?" Wow?

RC Enthusiast
    I love my new Slash, it hauls. 40 mph is plenty for me. I hope you get your settings dialed in soon, good luck.

Edited for Language
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-09-2010 at 05:53 PM.
    Traxxas Slash 4X4/Traxxas Summit/Losi Mini.

RC Qualifier
    sounds almost like you are hitting LVC

even with a 'fully charged' pack, you can get incredibly short run times if you pack is not balanced.. do you own a balancer?
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by brett_dirtbike
    sounds almost like you are hitting LVC

even with a 'fully charged' pack, you can get incredibly short run times if you pack is not balanced.. do you own a balancer?
    Hey can you link me to where I can find more info. about balancer's?

RC Qualifier
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Cell-Balancer

this is the balancer i have.. i LOVE it.. 3 amp max current, so just plug your balancing wire into the adaptor (comes with 2s and 3s plugs), and the red/bleck wires into your charger.. press the button twice, then start charging! super easy
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Enthusiast
    Would that work with my Onyx 240 doing 2 x battery's at the same time?

RC Qualifier
    sounds like to me your too use to the 2650 thats 2 times as fast as the vxl. and running a 2 2s on it makes a difference too.
    Revo 3.3, Slash 4x4, Savage X it really does suck.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackie
    Would that work with my Onyx 240 doing 2 x battery's at the same time?
    THIS is your charger, correct?

you could swap the banana plugs on the balancer with a male traxxas plug (or whatever you use) then i believe it'll work fine

if you want to balance two packs at once, you'll need to buy two balancers.. sorry
    Last edited by brett_dirtbike; 04-08-2010 at 07:27 PM.
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Qualifier
    The 1st time I Ran mine on 3's LiPo, when I switch it to the LVC, I some how put it in training mode, after I fix that.......... OGM HOLY ____.

The ESC will some time give a false LVC, or you could have a bad cell in one of your packs, The best way it to test the voltage in each cell with a voltage meter, the wrong way is to unplug the battery and plug it back up and go.(I do this some times because it is easier)

I think you most have it in training mode( some times the esc glitches and puts it's self in training mode or some time your steering will be backwards)

THESE THING FLY on 3s's.
    Last edited by SirJaymz; 04-08-2010 at 07:33 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Specifications for onyx 240
    Battery Types: 4-8 NiCd or NiMH (4.8-9.6V)<-----------------------------------
    Battery Capacity Range: 750-7500mAh
    Fast Charge Current: 0.8A, 1.5A, 3A, 5A Linear (40W maximum)
    Fast Charge Termination: Peak Detection
    Fast Charge Safety Timer: 90 Minutes
    Peak Sensitivity: 8mV for NiCd, 5mV for NiMH
    Auto-Trickle Current: 1/20 Fast Charge Setting
    Controls: 3 Pushbuttons
    Display Type: 7-Segment Custom LCD With Blue Backlight
    Output Connections: Built-In Lead With Standard Connector, Built-In Jack For 4-8 Cell Radio Batteries
    Audible Tones: Indicates Start, Stop, Errors
    AC Input: 110V AC 60Hz
    DC Input: 11-15V DC, Built-In Lead With Alligator Clips
    Protective Devices: Solid-State Reverse Polarity And Current Overload
    Case Size: 7.95 x 6 x 1.97 in. (202 x 153 x 50 mm)
    Weight: 27.8 oz. (789 g)

this is off of amainhobbies.com I don't see were LiPO is listed as a battery type. I use a Thunder AC6 it balances and charges

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirJaymz
    Output Connections: Built-In Lead With Standard Connector, Built-In Jack For 4-8 Cell Radio Batteries

this is off of amainhobbies.com I don't see were LiPO is listed as a battery type. I use a Thunder AC6 it balances and charges
    Very cool, thanks. I'm not having any problems with my battery or charger (at this point) but I want to get the most out of what Ive got. BTW This is my first charger, its easy to use and its fast enough for me. I like it just fine

RC Qualifier
    Wow. Be careful man. You need a lipo charger.
    More RC's than most of the people here.

RC Enthusiast
    who needs a Lipo Charger the OP?

RC Qualifier
    Very cool, thanks. I'm not having any problems with my battery or charger (at this point) but I want to get the most out of what Ive got. BTW This is my first charger, its easy to use and its fast enough for me. I like it just fine
    You'll like it just fine until your lipo explodes while charging.

Let me see if I understand correctly. You're charging two lipos at the same time on a non-lipo capable charger without a balancer or lipo bag. If that's not a disaster waiting to happen I don't know what is.
    Been there, broken that.

RC Qualifier
    I don't wish the guy any harm, but their house is at risk.
    More RC's than most of the people here.

RC Enthusiast
    im scared just reading this stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Blackie, Are you charging LIPOS or NIMH batteries with the Onyx 240? If you charging LIPOS you need to stop immediately! The 240 is a NiCd and NiMH only charger.

LIPO batteries require a LIPO charger that either has a built in cell balancer or a separate balancer to balance the individual cells. LIPO cells must not go below 3.0 volts per cell or over 4.2 per cell for longevity and safety reasons.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys for the replies.

I know how to use an ESC, I have the evx 2 in my 700-HO E-Maxx so, No its not in training mode, its in Normal mode(what I called sport mode) full forward, full reverse.

I have used Lipos before, infact thats all I use. So the 3S lipo is fine, no problems with it. One of my MMM e-maxxs on 2x2S is only geared for about 36Mph, so its not like I'm hitting insane speeds and thats why I was dissapointed with the Slash speed.

I guess what I was asking was, does the vxl and motor need time to bed/run in?? Like I said it was faster on the 3rd run? But that wouldn't explain the flashing red lights.

RC Racer
    Is it a fast or slow blinking light?

Slow red blinking light would mean that you have reached your minimal discharge... I have seen this when people use low discharge Lipos stuff such as a 15c discharge. I run a 30C and 35C and never have an issue.

Fast red blinking light the esc has gone into 1st stage protection ( over heating )

I see you are running 25C which should be fine, unless they are older.

RC Qualifier
    Not too bothered about changing the gearing, I just think its slower than it should be, slower than I expected so I'm thinking therte is something wrong.

Its a slow blinking light, yep 25C discharge, its a brand new *******. Not had a chance to take it out today for a spin so dont know if anything has changed since yesterday.

RC Racer
    Just to confirm when you turn it on you are in LIPO mode so your getting the soild green light right?

Also what connector do you have on the battery the TRX plug?

According to Traxxas the slow red blinking light while in Lipo mode would been your reaching your maximum discharge, the LOW VOLTAGE has kicked in limited your ESC to 50% while blinking the slow red light.

What charger did you use to charge the packs when you got them and did your balancer show that all 3 cells are reading the same voltage? If you have a bad cell or one has dropped much lower than the others it could be triggering your esc's low voltage much faster than it should.

RC Qualifier
    Yep, I activate the LVC when I got my Lipo, so it a solid green light when I turn it on. I'm using the TRX plug. Using a Sigma charger balancer, it is working fine showing all good cells.

I got the Lipo the other day, charged it up fully and put it into the Slash, thats when its started slow blinking red after a couple of minutes of barely running it, so it couldn't have hit the low voltage. And even if it had it should not have worked the next day on the same battery without recharging it??

Its weird, I'm not used to the VXL so dont know how tempermental they are, I'v only experience with the EVX 2 & MMM.

RC Champion
    I noticed after I've used the MMM, VXL has way early LVC.I don't think ill ever go back to vxl esc.
    Drive it like you stole it or leave it shelved

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pedecrawler
    I noticed after I've used the MMM, VXL has way early LVC.
    i also noticed this, i have my MMM set to cut off at 3.2v/cell.. but my VXL cuts off at around 3.4
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Racer
    Pull the battery when it kicks in and check the voltage, Also check right away if you can on your balancer what each cell is reading at!

Like i said i have never had issues and i get 25-30 mins run times out of mine before my LVC kicks in. And that's mostly high speed stuff or running on the track.

When fully charged what is the charger telling you your voltage is at?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TrpleD
    You'll like it just fine until your lipo explodes while charging.

Let me see if I understand correctly. You're charging two lipos at the same time on a non-lipo capable charger without a balancer or lipo bag. If that's not a disaster waiting to happen I don't know what is.
    They are the battery's that came with my Traxxas, are the stock battery's Lipos?

RC Racer
    They come with NIHM batteries

RC Enthusiast
    I guess I didn't make it clear that they were stock NiHM Battery's.

RC Qualifier
    I guess I didn't make it clear that they were stock NiHM Battery's.
    you dont need to balance NiMH batteries

where did you get your Nickel Hydride Metal batteries?
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah I'm a nOOb. Are the Lipos better than NiMH?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirJaymz
    Can I charge the NiMH 3000mAh @ 5.0A setting? Ive been charging them at the 3.0A settings but if I'm reading the directions correctly I should be charging @ 5.0A.

I'm sorry should I start a new thread? I feel like Ive hi-jacked the topic from the original OP. I'm still getting a feel for the proper forum protocol so feel free to tell me whats what.

RC Competitor
    Can I charge the NiMH 3000mAh @ 5.0A setting? Ive been charging them at the 3.0A settings but if I'm reading the directions correctly I should be charging @ 5.0A.

I'm sorry should I start a new thread? I feel like Ive hi-jacked the topic from the original OP. I'm still getting a feel for the proper forum protocol so feel free to tell me whats what.
    Don't exceed 4.0A for a 3000mah nimh battery.
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Slash 4x4
    Losi MRC

RC Qualifier
    Blackie, nothing wrong with NiMH, but LiPO's are SO much better, when you have to $$ pick up some and you'll almost never run the NiMH's again, and 4amps are about as high as you want to so for charging

Sevenie, you might have gotten a bad ESC or Battery, sound like you know what you are talking about, Hate to see you disappointed in the slash but ______ happens You'll get it lined.

RC Enthusiast
    I did charge @ 5.0A one time, the battery was very hot after I ran in down - would that do any perm damage? The settings go from 3.0A to 5.0A so Ill just charge @3.0A from now on. Ill be doing some research on the Lopos, thanks for the info.

RC Qualifier
    When in doubt, do what the manufacturer suggests. I've had NiMH's that could be charged at 5A.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

RC Qualifier
    If the battery was very hot after charging at 5A I wouldn't do it again. Sure it will work, but it also shortens the life of the pack.
    Been there, broken that.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dtnel
    Now with LIPO, i have LIPO batteries that are over 5000 mah and I charge them at 5 amps. One of the key points people miss is that you should charge before running, let the battery cool to room temp and then xharge it and let it cool to room to room temp again so you dont stress the battery trying to charge it and run it from a hot stage all the time. I use this rule of thumb with all my batteries NIMH or LIPO. Seems as if its less stress on them IMHO...................
    This is inaccurate...

You do need to allow the NiMH packs to cool AFTER running them, but you want to run them directly off the charger. The packs should peak and come off the charger at about 120 degrees, then run them straight away. more heat on discharge is ok.. and you can let the packs reach even the 160 degree level.. but ONLY on discharge... you need to allow a spent NiMH pack to cool for atleast an hour (to room temp) before you put it in the charger again... but a Lipo can come out of the truck, go right on the charger, and right back into the truck again.. no rest period needed for LiPO..
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle