RC Qualifier

Picking up a Slash 2wd, anything to look out for?

Well I'm picking up a slightly used Slash 2wd next week. Is there anything I should be on the look out for? Seller says the truck has about 6 3300 NiMH packs ran through it. I'm not concerned about the truck but more about design flaws and issues for race setup?
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd

RC Enthusiast
    You will want to upgrade the castor blocks and get yourself a proline spur gear cover, the stock one has an opening that will let dirt get in, the proline cover keeps the dirt out of your gears. 60wt oil in the rear shocks and 50wt in the front and your pretty much good to go, congrats on the new truck!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by srx7777
    You will want to upgrade the castor blocks and get yourself a proline spur gear cover, the stock one has an opening that will let dirt get in, the proline cover keeps the dirt out of your gears. 60wt oil in the rear shocks and 50wt in the front and your pretty much good to go, congrats on the new truck!
    Its the RPM Gear cover not proline Get some RPM Rear Bearing carriers Casterblocks, front hubs
    His: 2 many Mods
    Hers: JC Goosebumps, LVA/2s

RC Champion
    There really aren't any design flaws. Have a look at the screws on the truck. If they are rusted then it's most likely been run in water/snow and you'll need to look close at the bearings and motor. I've found that the only weak areas on these trucks are the stock motor and the bearings. If not broken in properly the titan will have a very short life and Most people forget to lube bearing after running in water so they have a tendency to rust.

Otherwise the stock truck is plenty strong and doesn't require anything right away. If you break something then replace it with RPM parts. Just go over the entire truck when you get it and make sure everything is lubed and moves freely. Also make sure all the screws are tight and the pinion to spur mesh is set correctly.
    My mother
    Reba Collins 6/30/52 - 3/1/10 1:13pm

RC Qualifier
    So far I have not had any problems with my 2wd. It's tough and handles good. I upgraded to a VXL motor and man is it fast now! I was racing a buddy of mine that has a nitro powered Revo and I can beat him with 23/86 gearing using a 2s lipo.

RC Champion
    If you bash and jump a lot, the RPM shock towers (especially rear) and RPM skidplates are a good investment.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for all those tips.

From what I can tell the truck has not been bashed at all or ran in water but I'll take a good look when the deal is about to happen. I plan on replacing the stock motor with the same version to be safe. I also have plans on replacing everything I can with RPM replacements as they break on me as well as upgrading to at least traxxas big bore shocks with 60wt rear 40wt front oil. 1 upgrade I might do instantly are RPM a-arms. I don't bash a lot and when I do it's normally on gravel bike trails or a parking lot area. Most of the time this truck will see indoor carpet, store front parking lot pavement, or 1/8th scale dirt/clay tracks.

There is 1 thing I will do the day I get the 2wd Slash. That is to mask off the windows, headlights, taillights then spray paint the body flat black using Tamiya Color black paint. Should be a good time with this truck.

I still want to pick up an Associated SC10 so I can race with more guys then just the Slash 2wd and 4wd guys. The track I goto have 3 classes, just SC10, just Slash, and just Slash 4wd.
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd

RC Racer
    ive ran probably 100 4500 7 cell packs and 150 lipos thru my slash... works like a charm
    HCM racing class 5 class 10
    TRAXXAS SLASH 2WD

RC Qualifier
    Well tonight I got a chance to drive a Slash 2wd in practice that was pretty much right out of the box stock. The only thing that was done on this was how the shocks were positioned. It's definately a learning curve with the 2wd. I could swing the truck into the corners pretty aggressively.

Looking forward to getting mine next thursday! Going straight to the track after I get it too.
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd