Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RC Qualifier
    Oh man!
    What battery did you plug in that esc, 6S maybe?
    Or perhaps you bashed a little too hard?
    merv+lipo3s2p1500mAh20/30C=fun

RC Qualifier
    3s Hyperion Lipo. I actually drove the car very easy and the temps were low low low, I drove pretty slow, then nailed it and it blinks slow red, lipo cutoff. waited a while for the motor to cool, plugged in a new battery and it did the same as my old esc used to do, started up, blinked red, then turned off.

When the old esc did that I just unplugged one of the three motor wires, plugged the battery in, started the esc plugged in the motor wire and then drove. But that didnīt work on this one.... .

But! Now when Iīm driving with the mamba max again I feel how unsmooth the stock esc is when driving slow... I just might buy a mmp for it and waterproof it

RC Racer
    Man i can smell that from here!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by e-revolver
    Man i can smell that from here!
    Yeah.... it remainds me of whatīs happend...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I want to try this, have any tips for me? Driving tips, mostly. If you stay in the throttle, is it easy to keep it on top of the water? I have 3s lipos, and stock vxl motor, can't remember my gearing. I'll have to look up an old thread to find out. It looks in your pics like it wasn't that hard!
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Qualifier
    . First of all, be aware of that I have plasdidipped my reciever since the stock "waterproof" box isnīt really waterproof if you submerge the truck several times, so remember to open the reciever box when you are done for the day.

My stock servo also did let some water in, but I think it was because the sealings were worn and without much grease.

This is how I did:

The hard part is to not get to anoxious and flip the truck on itīs lid...

In the beginning I drove the truck with plenty of speed on land (3/4 throttle aproximitly) and then jumped up to 4/5 when the front wheels touched the water and stayed there. I did it like this over and over again until I felt more comfortable with the whole thing.

Then I started to use less throttle on the land ( 1/2 ) and gave it some more on the water instead ( 4/6 ). Over and over again.

And then I started at 1/4 throttle on land and gave it more on the water and so on.

In the end I could stand 1.5 feet from the water and still go as far as I wanted on the water, the tricky thing is to make the truck not flip on itīs lid like I said before.

If you have a wheeliebar, use it! Lower the wheeliebar as much as you can, then you can just nail it all over the place and not have to be worried about flipping over. Maybe you should make a small plate of a old icecream package and mount on the wheeliebar wheels as a skii?

Good luck, and remember to re lube the motor bearings since they are hard to change

So, if your body of water is large enough, can you just drive all around it at speed, as long as you don't flip? Turning (wide sweeping turns of course) and going different directions and everything?

RC Qualifier
    I would say no.. Have you ever driven a snowmobile on water? , If you have you will know what I mean.

When you turn on the water with a snowmobile you lean the snowmobile down at one side and turn the skies to the other side like a motorcycle and then give it some throttle, but with the truck you canīt lean so it would take a huge space to turn around with only turning the tires. Before you have turned the truck back running to you you will probably be out of range..

Oh, okay, I understand. Never actually seen a snowmobile, never snows here, so certainly haven't driven one on water lol. I understand what you're saying though. I need to start looking for a shallow body of water now with a very small entry angle...

Was it easier with the merv or the rustler? Or about the same once you figured out the technique. I'm imagining the merv would be better with 4wd, but I dunno. My rustler is not yet BL, so it'd take some money to get it ready, but the merv is vxl and 3s lipo.

RC Qualifier
    Aha I see. Yeah the angel needs to be nice

The rustler is bigger/longer which means less flipping... Do you have a wheeliebar for the rusty? Iīd say go for the rusty since itīs a bigger car/truck .

I don't have a wheelie bar for either one, but the merv definitely needs one, and as cheap as a wheelie bar is, while I'm purchasing paddles and stuff to try this with, I could add one to the list.

RC Qualifier
    Update!:

Mhm?

Grinded?

And this one?

hm??

Isnīt that a bit beefy?

And there we have rustler shafts attatched to the Merv stubs.

Mounted:

I discovered after tho that all the grinding is unnessesary I just bought a set of: TRA1951 for the rustler and whola all set

I have a few hours on them now and they are doing really good. Iīm running big fat paddles so Iīm putting alot of strain on them, running 3s.

RC Qualifier
    I rebuilt the rear end with the newstyle bulks for the winter:

I also added the mamba max and rpmīs in the front.

RC Qualifier
    And now some weight:

1044Grams, 36oz without tires:

1357Grams, 47oz With dirthawgs/rpm tires/wheels.

And finaly, I bent the crap out of one of the aluminium Newera arms in the rear. They held up good for a longg while tho! I changed to rpm, have worked good so for, no bent cvdīs or cvd poppouts

I also found a really easy mod ( If you even can call it a mod ) put a ziptie around the wingmount to help the rear body mount from cracking and snapping.

I will post pics of the bent alu-arm later on. They were well worth their money, I will buy some new If the rpmīs canīt take the cold.

It got bent from a 25 - 30 feet high jump...Very understandable.

Ofcourse the whole truck is still waterproof Love the plastidip
    Last edited by Manne; 11-04-2010 at 01:46 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Hey Manne, a few questions for you:
    - how do you judge the new bulkheads?
    - what are those two white wires which go from battery connector to the battery tray behind the servo?

RC Qualifier
    . I like the new style bulks, they make the whole thing more beefy, less shims needed in the diff and less posibility to stripp the diff, wich is always a welcome upgrade.
    Haha the wite wires are extenders to my external bec...I didnīs have any silicone wire that thin and 10awg seemed a bit thick

Howīs things going with you and your ride there in Italy?

We have snow here.....

RC Qualifier
    Wow, snow already? Time for paddles then

Didn't have too much free time since last update on my thread, but now I'm starting a small mod. I'm trying to make the merv wider, infact I was really hoping to use some parts from the new SummitVxl, but the a-arms are the same

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, already started with the waterskipping again also

Aha I see, itīs hard to find the perfect line between being unemployed and to have to much to do.

I among with most of my friends are unemployed and have been that since we finished school in June... Iīt kinda bad, itīs hard to finance a Erbe, a Merv and having a snowmobile and car at the same time without a job

Aha I see. offsetwheels isnīt enough for you? Maybe you could try this:

http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...893&cat_name=#

Or this:

http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...3246&cat_name=

I would go for the thetoyz own one.

Iīm thinking of getting some summit tires on dish wheels for the summer

RC Qualifier
    You're right, too much or nothing.
    I wish the best of luck to you finding a good job.

By the way, I already have something similar (take a look here) and I must admit they are quite good, but they definitely add a weak point to the car.
    I was wondering if someone makes longer a-arms, but it seems not .

RC Qualifier
    Really nice rig you go there!

RC Qualifier
    Psimem:
    Thanks! I have already been out to thriteen places and asked/leaving personal papers etc....

Oh, you have axel extenders!, well, slap em on and bash the snot out of it and check if it holds up

TmaxxKidDuDe:
    Thanks! And congrats to post # 100!
    Last edited by Manne; 11-24-2010 at 02:13 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Well, I finally got a job! So I will be rebuilding this baby soon enough, I havenīt come up with a descent setup yet tho,

I have started to Think that 3s is a tad slow... My problem is That The chassis isnīt accepting some descent lipos with a esc that can handle 4,5,or 6s with a nice layout... I remember licrsicc ( speeellliiinggg ) had a nice setup on 6s. Maybe I can get some imagination from his build.

And Jimbo, here is the thread.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have about the bigscale servo install..

RC Qualifier
    Well Finally! Update!

I have placed an order on the following:

Traxxas Mini 1/16 Revo Slash Steel Machined Hollow Balls (item #TRA7028X)
    Traxxas Mini 1/16 Revo Slipstream Clear Body w/ Decals (item #PRO331230)
    Traxxas Mini Slash Aluminum Bulkhead Tie Bars (item #TRA7023)
    Traxxas Mini E Revo Slash F or R Suspension Pin Set (item #TRA7021)
    Traxxas Mini Revo Slash Silver Aluminum Rear Bulkhead Gearbox (item #ERV013 SILVER)
    Traxxas Mini Revo Slash Silver Aluminum Front Bulkhead Gearbox (item #ERV012 SILVER)
    Traxxas Mini E Revo VXL Main Chassis (item #TRA7022)
    Traxxas Mini 1/16 Summit Canyon AT 2.2 Tire Set (item #TRA7270)
    Traxxas Mini 1/16 Revo Slash Steel Heavy Duty Center Drive Shaft (item #T3409)
    Traxxas Mini Revo Slash Front & Rear Body Mounts (item #TRA7015) $5.29 x
    Traxxas Mini 1/16 Revo Wing Mount (item #TRA7121)
    Traxxas Mini E Revo High Downforce Black Wing (item #TRA7122)
    Traxxas Mini 1/16 Revo Slash Front - Mid Silver Aluminum Skid Plate (item #ST7037FMS)
    Traxxas Mini 1/16 Revo Slash Gear Cover (item #TRA7077)
    Traxxas 1/16 Mini Revo Slash Silver Aluminum Rear Shock Damper Tower (item #TOYZ 216 SIlver)
    Traxxas 1/16 Mini Revo Slash Black Aluminum Knuckle Hubs (item #ERV021 BLACK)
    Traxxas Mini 1/16 Revo Slash 12mm Wheel Hex (item #TRA7154)
    Traxxas Mini Revo Slash Blue Rubber Bearing (8x12x3.5mm) (item #TRA7020)
    Traxxas Mini Revo Slash Blue Rubber Bearing (4x8x3mm) (item #TRA7019)
    Traxxas Mini 1/16 Revo Push Rod & Hollow Balls (item #TRA7118)
    Traxxas Mini 1/16 Summit GTR Shock Spring Blue 2.92 Rate (item #TRA7245)
    Traxxas Mini 1/16 Revo Slash GTR Shock Rebuild Kit (item #TRA7062)

And a 4s 100A Esc ( I have one since before so I know that it works good).

I will later on remove the wing mount, get rid of the shell and get a ford raptor body for it, I want it to be a MT .

Keep on bashing

Edited for language abuse. If you see starred out words/names of manufacturers in your post, please edit them out.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-31-2011 at 08:56 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Update!

So I finally got time to rebuild the truck!

It has traxxas cvdīs in the rear,
    rustler shafts in the front ( going to change to cvds when they get in stock somwere...),
    traxxas cvd in the rear Center,
    integy cvd in the front center with the bearingmod,
    gpm alubulks front and rear
    bigboreshocks

and tons of other stuff to it. The only thing that still is stock from the box when I bought the truck is the centerskid and the gearbox housing.

I think the only stock parts on it is the parts above, the hexes, chassis, body and wingmount front and rear, the toelinks in the front and all the pushrods, the rest is swapped out for aftermarket stuff.

The truck is almost as I want it, the following things are needed to make it just the way I want it:

Raptor body and removing the wing
    Small scale steering servo with metal gears ( Iīm not going to submerge the truck anymore )
    New servo saver ( the current one is worn out )
    New motor, Neu xxxx
    New toe links in the front
    Cvds in the front
    Waterproofing the reciever with plastidipp.

Itīs pretty neat as it sits right now too tho.

Some pics:

I modified the stock motorplate to use dual plates, it worked and I used it for a while, but then remowed it.

Some parts:

The esc, it handels 4s excellent with the built in bec, and it has a o-ring around the case for the "board", wich makes it maybe not submergewaterproof but it can handle snow and rain, wich I like alot.

RC Qualifier
    Alubulks front and rear with custom braces, alu skids etc etc:

Some tire comparission, Dirthawgs on rpm wheels, paddles on rpm wheels and summit tires on Traxxas dishes:

And one with the body on

And that is all for now, canīt wait to hit those jumps!

RC Racer
    Nice build. Great to see some inovative and homemade solutions.

RC Champion
    Sweet MERV!!
    Just accelerate, and only good will come.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks to both of you! .

Got some time to try it out yesterday, geared 19/55 on 3s ( going to order lipos to run 4s soon ), What a BLAST! The handling was absolutley perfect, I couldnīt be happier.
    Itīs so controllable, even in the fact that my servo saver have tons and tons of slope! Straight forward like an arrow.

With some new lipos on 4s it will be absolutley perfect, itīs a bit slow as it is right now, but itīs okay. Canīt wait to give it a proper bash session with new lipos!

Also did some major modifications to the bulkheads last morning to get the shimming as I wanted it ( yes I took it apart again before I even had I chance to testdrive it) And now the mesh in the diffs are absolutley fine and overshimmed just like I like them.

See you soon.

RC Competitor
    Hi Manne

I am very interested with your DIY anti sway bar.
    Can you be able to take some close up photos of it?
    If possible can you share with us how it is being made?

RC poster
    I'm going to resurrect this older thread. Very cool build. What's your feedback on the Aluminum bulkheads?

RC poster
    I'm going to resurrect this older thread. Very cool build. What's your feedback on the Aluminum bulkheads?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123