RC Racer

RPM two-stage pistons......

I have a rustler, but I figure you guys might have more exp with RPM two stage pistons.

I read about them and they seem like they are the best of both worlds (handling and jumping...I olny bash, no racing). Instead of BB's I was thinking about just getting some aluminum caps and a set of the rpm pistons.

Any thoughts?

Also, has anyone tried the aluminum shock bodies and caps set from Dynamite?

They were made for the Slash so I suppose they would fit my rustler.

RC Qualifier
    All I use anymore are the rpm dual stage pistons I like em and have a friend that also prefers them. The handling gain is probably not very noticeable but it is there i believe. They will fit into rustler shocks as well.
    Lock, Stomp, and Steer. No Fear

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawl Or Fly???
    All I use anymore are the rpm dual stage pistons I like em and have a friend that also prefers them. The handling gain is probably not very noticeable but it is there i believe. They will fit into rustler shocks as well.

Do they seem to help with bottoming out for jumps? Im just a brasher, and would like to take my rustler off my front steps about 3-4 feet high onto grass and some stuff like that (not looking to get ridiculous). But I want to get some aluminum caps or all aluminum shocks first. I would be using stock springs with 30-40 weight oil like RPM's site recommends, and the medium to heavy pistons.

RC Enthusiast
    I've been using them and have been happy - if installed correctly, you can tell that compressing the shock is slower and rebound is quicker. They seemed to help the handling of my truck but I'm still trying to dial in and fine tune it for our track + some bashing. One note though, even though my shocks are the stock Slash (not BB), I still had to do a little filing of the e-clips and very fine sanding of the pistons to get them to fit and operate smoothly. No big deal at all, just an extra step or two - now they seem to work great.

FWIW, look at the instructions at the bottom of this link for a better explanation of what I'm talking about:

http://www.ultimaterc.com/reviews/rpm-2-stage-pistons/

Heck, if you don't like 'em, you're only out 8 bucks or so!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashDad
    I've been using them and have been happy - if installed correctly, you can tell that compressing the shock is slower and rebound is quicker. They seemed to help the handling of my truck but I'm still trying to dial in and fine tune it for our track + some bashing. One note though, even though my shocks are the stock Slash (not BB), I still had to do a little filing of the e-clips and very fine sanding of the pistons to get them to fit and operate smoothly. No big deal at all, just an extra step or two - now they seem to work great.

FWIW, look at the instructions at the bottom of this link for a better explanation of what I'm talking about:

http://www.ultimaterc.com/reviews/rpm-2-stage-pistons/

Heck, if you don't like 'em, you're only out 8 bucks or so!

Thanx for the link, great info, pics, and explanation. I figured I would start with the medium to heavy set, and 40 wt oil. Sound okay? Think I should do anything different?

RC Enthusiast
    Well, as I said, I'm pretty new at this and am experimenting myself so any advice I gave out would only be worth what you paid for it. The thing is, it really seems to depend on your track or bashing conditions, what you ultimately want your truck to do. I was looking for more control at speed and over hard-packed track conditions as well as for the truck to recover quickly over smaller bumps at speed which so far, is what I'm getting closer to. I'm running 40wt oil all around with stock springs but have run 50wt oil and stiffer springs too. Check RPM's website since they offer up advice on a good starting point, then I think it's trial-and-error based on what you like.

Part of why I've been messing around with it is because it gives me something to mess around with! Try 'em, tune and see what you think - you can always go back to the stock pistons.