RC Enthusiast

Help with choosing 2nd RC truck

Guys I have a Slash 4x4 which is my 1st real RC car and thinking about getting a second. I got a couple of my buddies hooked and they had to go and get them one, so one got a nitro 3.3 T maxx and the other got a 3.3 Revo. I like the Revo best of the two. I like my slash and only use it to bash with, running 3s on mine.
    Here is what i need opinions on. My slash is faster than the nitros on clean surfaces but we are usually running in a lot of gravel, tall grass, steep levees and rough terrain. I can either put a mmm combo in it and turn it into a moster truck and deal with trying to keep two batteries charged up to keep up with my nitro buddies, which is hard to do cause they can just put fuel in and go again or I could just get a nitro, and keep the slash basically stock and still be able to race it if I get near a track, which isnt often but could happen and still be able to bash at home in the streets and parking lots with it. Also keep my fun time longer by having two if I tear one up and dont have parts to get it going right away.
    So to those of you who have 2nd RC's what route would you go. Also like the E-Revo brushless and could still stomp their tale but have to buy more batteries and keep having to deal with charging them too!

Also, if I went the 3.3 Revo, nitro route, what upgrades could I do to the 3.3 motor to give me a little more performance than my buddies stock ones(question for those that may have a 3.3)

P.S. Notice, I stress having a slight edge over my buddies, Lol! We are all new to RC but i have had mine a little longer and have a slight driving advantage over them but that could change soon! Any other suggestions on different vehicles are welcome to!

RC Qualifier
    Honestly, the E-Revo would smoke them, but since you would just be bashing around with it, I am not sure you would want to get into the cost of the batteries. I would go with a 3.3 Revo (or a Platinum Edition Revo, if you can find one). Replace the stock motor with a OS .18 TZ.......that should help you with a little advantage.....lol
    momomotorsports - Slash - PE Slash 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Momo,
    My lhs has the platinum revo on the shelf, it doesnt have reverse and I really like the reverse for bashing, buddy with the T-maxx wishes his had reverse now. I just dont know what kind of run time I would get out of the ERBE with two batteries. Might be more than I think, guess that might be a good thing to find out. I did notice the ERBE sits a lot lower than the 3.3 and has less ground clearance but dont now if that is enough to matter or not.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by momo.75
    Honestly, the E-Revo would smoke them, but since you would just be bashing around with it, I am not sure you would want to get into the cost of the batteries. I would go with a 3.3 Revo (or a Platinum Edition Revo, if you can find one). Replace the stock motor with a OS .18 TZ.......that should help you with a little advantage.....lol
    I'm new to this but isnt the .18 smaller than the 3.3? I was thinking the 3.3 was .20 but not positive. Or does it just run that much better that it makes up the difference for less cc. I here you can mod a 3.3 but didnt say what the mods was or how much $

Quote Originally Posted by momo.75
    Except for the fact that you can run the same batteries in both the 4x4 and an E-Revo Brushless Edition. You already have the charging equipment, so there is some economy of scale. Do you like / are you comfortable breaking in / tuning nitro? Not that it's all that hard, but some people would prefer not to.
    What's the cost of a Revo 3.3 + OS + fuel vs. an ERBE + a couple sets of batteries?
    I run my electrics in places where fellow citizens would be less than enthused to have the noise, smell, and smoke of a nitro vehicle. This may or may not be an issue for you.

RC poster
    I have a revo 3.3 and a slash 4x4. Both are great, but the revo will stand up to almost anything.
    Learn how to tune it right, maybe add a roll cage and get it set up right and you will be ahead.
    I got a second revo with a OS .30 and trx 3.3, spektrum, tons of extras on ebay for $425 in GREAT shape. Check around.

RC poster
    Check the marketplace
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=512066
    Looks pretty nice! (not mine).

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl
    Except for the fact that you can run the same batteries in both the 4x4 and an E-Revo Brushless Edition. You already have the charging equipment, so there is some economy of scale. Do you like / are you comfortable breaking in / tuning nitro? Not that it's all that hard, but some people would prefer not to.
    What's the cost of a Revo 3.3 + OS + fuel vs. an ERBE + a couple sets of batteries?
    I run my electrics in places where fellow citizens would be less than enthused to have the noise, smell, and smoke of a nitro vehicle. This may or may not be an issue for you.
    I'm a gear head, I could probably catch on pretty quick with the nitro tuning so that is not that big of an issue but I see your point and I also like the fact that I can run my electric in sub 40 degree temps without any tuning issues if I would want to. I would have to upgrade batteries to do the ERBE cause the 2-3s that i have now are miss match and all they had at the time, wish I would have know as much about it then as I do now when I got my truck and batteries, could have a little more run time but all I knew is that 3s was the bomb and all they had was a 3200 mah and a 4000 mah (both venom) and thats what I got!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dave blackburn
    Check the marketplace
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=512066
    Looks pretty nice! (not mine).
    Thanks Dave, Guess I will shop around a little after I make my mind up on what exactly I want. It does look like a deal!

RC Racer
    If I had to settle for two cars, it would be the 4x4 slash and my ERBE.
    With the right batteries (above 5000mah) you can run for 40 to 45 minutes. And with ********* batteries at such good prices you can get more.

I have had Tmaxx's and got tired of all the maintenance. Plus the wife runs with me and with two cars to tune and run it got to be a headache. Now she knows what batteries are for her ERBE and it is definately her favorite RC. We still break out the T's once in a while, but very rare.
    The ERBE's are beasts and she loves to bash hers up hard...lol
    Its all good and we have fun!!!
    CasGar Bashers UnInc.
    Est. '02
    a.k.a garcol

RC Enthusiast
    great thread. I was wanting to know what vehicles are the favorites of people who own multiple traxxas vehicles. I own/have owned and Emaxx, Jato 3.3, Electric Rustler, and ERBE.

The ERBE is my favorite by far. It can be spendy when you include the cost of batteries but worth every penny. I have not met a person yet that was not impressed with this vehicle.

I would recommend spending the money on an ERBE. you can always sell your older stuff to ofset some of the costs.

RC Enthusiast
    ......also the ease alone of running electric can give you an edge over your friends nitro.

and then to take it to the next level you can waterproof it.

RC Qualifier
    I have a Rustler VXL for speed but it's not so hot off road.
    I also have a Slash 4x4 PE which is GREAT all around!!

I've had Nitro's a Nitro Revo and a Nitro Savage...
    They where fun but Nitro's IMO are just not worth the time to keep them running right.
    I spent more time tuning etc then I did driving them.

I'd say the EBR, or a ERevo which you can hop up...
    Slash 4X4 PLATINUM EDITION, Revo 3.3 Crawler

RC Enthusiast
    Still cant make my mind up! The ERBE is going to be the pricey one out of the gate with batteries and you are limited on what batts to go with for long run times because of the size of the compartments.

The ERBE is a no brainer. Batteries are much cheaper then nitro. When I was running nitro MT's I was easily going through a gallon a month. A good pair of batteries should last over a year.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Qualifier
    I have a Slash 4x4 PE, Slash 2WD, ERBE, Savage Flux, Firestorm Flux, Mugen MBX5-T MMM, and a load of other 1:10 trucks... But if I had to pick only two it would almost certainly be the ERBE and a Slash ...

So +1 for the ERBE
    Time is an illusion, "9am sharp" doubly so.

RC Competitor
    Yes, nitros require some tuning, but it sure is nice to gas and go. With a good engine, your tubing is minimal. I picked up my Slash for those times that I only have enough time for one bash session and I didnt want to worry about tuning.
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Slash 4x4
    Losi MRC

RC Enthusiast
    My only delima with the ERBE is I would need to get two sets (4 total) just to be able to play for an hour or so after I get off in the evenings while my buddies just keep gassing and going until dark and im dead and trying to charge batts on my car battery on the river bank.
    I work on a dredge boat on the mississippi river and am out two weeks at a time and when our 12 hour day is over we catch a ride to the river bank and bash away and im toting batts and charger, back and forth from boat to land and charging batts in my small room every night on the boat and lipos at that! All my buddies do is gas and tune a little and go. If I could get a good hour and a half or two of run time out of a couple of sets of batts then I may go that route, guess im just looking for run time and with which batts should I go with for the long run time that will still fit in the stock chassis boxes.

RC Racer
    i dunno, i took a break from nitro because i had went brushless and lipo. but i do miss it. so i bought another one. once it s a little warmer ill get it broke in and have some fun this summer.
    What?

RC Enthusiast
    Well guys I ended up getting the Revo 3.3 and its was a very nice day so I spent two hours breaking it in as the manual instructed, so far, so good. I can control it a lot easier than the Slash 4x4 on 3s but its not near as fast.
    I like the sound of the nitro and like to gas and go. So far the Slash is still my favorite but I do like the new Revo. It is going to be a lot better off road and has some pretty wicked suspension.

RC Qualifier
    stampede is a affordable alternative, or nitro stampede. But you should probably get a T-maxx.
    MERV
    Stampede XL-5

RC Competitor
    Nice to hear you made the move to the 3.3, electric is fun, fast and simple, but nothing beats the smell of nitro and sound of nitro.

I own 2 emaxx trucks, revo 3.3, a stampede and unfortunately a strike. I love the revo 3.3.

Nitro is expensive, but you can always stock up on it for cheap.

learn to tune the 3.3 and have fun. then when you just want something to cruise around run the slash or in my case the maxx.

Good luck!!
    Revo 3.3
    Emaxx
    Slash
    Rustler

RC Racer
    good choice, i just sold mine no time i had a full race mod 3.3 in it blistering fast. way faster than stock 3.3. mine was from pspowerscrets but i believe he has retired from it after 15 years. but i hear good things about ABmods. if you want an "edge" that they wont notice. otherwise the truck never broke.
    its only money

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nogoslow
    Guys I have a Slash 4x4 which is my 1st real RC car and thinking about getting a second. I got a couple of my buddies hooked and they had to go and get them one, so one got a nitro 3.3 T maxx and the other got a 3.3 Revo. I like the Revo best of the two. I like my slash and only use it to bash with, running 3s on mine.
    Here is what i need opinions on. My slash is faster than the nitros on clean surfaces but we are usually running in a lot of gravel, tall grass, steep levees and rough terrain. I can either put a mmm combo in it and turn it into a moster truck and deal with trying to keep two batteries charged up to keep up with my nitro buddies, which is hard to do cause they can just put fuel in and go again or I could just get a nitro, and keep the slash basically stock and still be able to race it if I get near a track, which isnt often but could happen and still be able to bash at home in the streets and parking lots with it. Also keep my fun time longer by having two if I tear one up and dont have parts to get it going right away.
    So to those of you who have 2nd RC's what route would you go. Also like the E-Revo brushless and could still stomp their tale but have to buy more batteries and keep having to deal with charging them too!

Also, if I went the 3.3 Revo, nitro route, what upgrades could I do to the 3.3 motor to give me a little more performance than my buddies stock ones(question for those that may have a 3.3)

P.S. Notice, I stress having a slight edge over my buddies, Lol! We are all new to RC but i have had mine a little longer and have a slight driving advantage over them but that could change soon! Any other suggestions on different vehicles are welcome to!
    get a emaxx
    Stupid 50 character Limit!!!!!