RC poster

Question 4 Channel receiver with 2nd motor

Hi,

I'm purchasing a slash truck (58034-1) which comes with a 2 channel radio system. I'm using this as a base for a school engineering project but I need a 4-channel radio system. I called Traxxas and they said I can't buy the truck without a radio system so I'm going to have to buy a second radio set. If I buy the 4 channel controller (6530), or mod the included 2 channel radio to make it a 4 channel, and then purchase the 5ch receiver (6518) can I use those extra two channels for anything and are they adjustable?

My plan is to buy duplicates of the following items that come with the truck kit: XL-5 ESC (3018R), 550 Motor (3785), & Servo (2056). I then want to install the second ESC and second motor on the 3rd channel to have a variable speed output to turn a rotating hub. On the 4th channel I want to install the extra servo to control a 3d-printed latch mechanism.

Does this sound possible with these items?

Thanks!
    Brent

The TQI doesn't seem to match your requirements since you require an additional proportional channel and the TQI 4 channel only has switching outputs on Channel 3,4 and 5. In stock form channel 3 (the red rocker switch) is only full left and right but it can be modified for full left, center, full right . The top chrome 3 position switch is a special config on the TQI: center to one side gives Channel 4 full right to full left servo, switch center to other position gives channel 5 full servo right to full left only if channel 4 is active.

RC poster
    Thanks for the info! If I plugged in a second XL5 ESC to channel 3, 4 or 5, would it power a 550 motor to full speed? While I'd prefer an adjustable channel I could work with just on/off channels also.

Brent

it would go full forward to full reverse unless you modify channel 3 for 3 position which would give you full forward, stop, full reverse

RC poster
    So I received the truck kit (58034-1) and a 4-channel transmitter/receiver (6507R) but I'm having a problem getting the second XL5 ESC to function on channel 3, 4, or 5. Whenever I press the EZ-Set button the turn on the ESC, it does a fast green flash continuously. I read that this means the Neutral Safety is enable and it will not allow the ESC to power the motor until throttle neutral is met. Unfortunately, it appears that the 4-channel transmitter does not offer any programming, besides servo reversal, for channels 3, 4, or 5. Therefore, I cannot change channel 3, 4, or 5 neutral location and use the second motor while Neutral Safety is enabled.

Can I somehow override the ESC neutral safety feature? I'm ok with soldering or completing any other advanced modification. I'm also ok if the motor immediately starts operating when the ESC is powered on.

The other option I'm considering is to remove the throttle trigger assembly from the 2-channel transmitter and to solder the wires to the 4-channel transmitter's channel 3, 4, or 5 circuitry. This would allow me to have a variable control for channel 3, instead of just an ON/OFF switch.

Weird observation - when I connected the second ESC/motor to the SECOND channel 1 port on the receiver, I could enable the variable speed of the second motor but it wasn't in a useful manner. Meaning, if I turned the steering wheel left, the wheels turned left, if I turned the steering wheel right, the wheels AND SECOND MOTOR advanced simultaneously. Any idea what the purpose of the second channel 1 port is used for?

Any advise is welcome that would allow a second ESC/motor to function on channel 3, 4, or 5 (it's ok if the motor is either off or at 100% rpm, I don't need variable motor rpm output but I wouldn't mind it either).

Thanks again!
    Brent

As far as I know can channel 3,4&5 not be made variable and only channel 3 can be modified for 3 position function (Full R, center, Full L) so you should try that since it will give the ESC the center, full fwd, full rev signal it needs to calibrate.

RC Qualifier
    How about two 3ch Rx in the car for two Tx operators. Fly-sky Tx can transmit to multiple RX simultaneously for mirrored operation.

I think you're looking for a 4ch radio with mixing capabilities?

A 6ch stick radio probably has three proportional channels.