RC Qualifier

Robinson Racing Gen3 Slipper

Anybody tried one of these? Is it worth the money?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFATZ

Smoked the clutch in mine the other day.... Pretty sure but not positive I had it tight enough. Might have forgotten to re-tighten after the tare down. Anyway the stock one went up in a puff of smoke, another stocker on the way. But if that Robinson clutch is that much better will likely get one on the way.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it

RC Champion
    No, haven't tried that. This is what I use, and it works really good.

Yes, girls dig me. It's the cross I must bare.

RC Qualifier
    I've been running one since my build and like it. But I've never had the stock clutch

RC Qualifier
    What is that a HR double up?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BuGgYbAsHeR.28 View Post
    I've been running one since my build and like it. But I've never had the stock clutch
    Which one BB, the robnson or the one like RG is running?

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug85603 View Post
    What is that a HR double up?
    It's the Hot Racing "Double Up" slipper plate, it doubles the number of pads over the stock plate.

Its machined aluminum instead of the cast pot metal like the stock one is.

Looks like this.

Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    Yup was looking at those, think the HR is the way to go. Just noticed Mattsger has a thread up about RR GenIII.... Sounds like it could be a pain and noisy too.... So you're running the aluminum pads? They better than the graphite or Traxxas pads?

RC Competitor
    Not a pain at all, just noisy, (IMO) since I have been running stock slipper the whole time...Immense increase in no-slip. Truck just goes now, standing front flips on gravel (4S). But I only have about 10 min on it, been raining for a few here in WI...So will be able to give a better update this weekend. Was very easy to set up, I just questioned the gear mesh because of the noise.
    Why nitro, have you seen a lipo go?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattsger View Post
    Not a pain at all, just noisy, (IMO) since I have been running stock slipper the whole time...Immense increase in no-slip. Truck just goes now, standing front flips on gravel (4S). But I only have about 10 min on it, been raining for a few here in WI...So will be able to give a better update this weekend. Was very easy to set up, I just questioned the gear mesh because of the noise.
    Ok, Thanks will keep it in mind gonna try the HR double up....If that doesn't work, then Bigger, Better, Stronger

RC Competitor
    Both me and my buddy who runs a stampede have them. He loves it, makes the stampede noisy also (he's been running for some time and he drives as hard as Ive ever seen. all I can say is skate park half pipe and stampede 25ft in air...), but kinda sounds like a broken turbine when it winds up....Pretty cool....But he has had no problem whatsoever for over 6 months..

RC Qualifier
    I'm running the gen 3 and ya its noisy but doesn't seem to bother me lol. I guess I'm used to it as I haven't ran the stock clutch before. The gen 3 isn't a "pain" in my opinion, seems like a slick setup. Sometimes I lock it down and can do the standing back flips on 4s, but now I ran 5s and have it set properly. Thought about buying one for the slash 4x4 I just got.

RC Qualifier
    Maybe "a pain" wasn't good words to use....

RC Competitor
    No harm done, just letting you know our experience and at first when I installed it was a little of a learning curve. I thought it was tight, only to find out I got quite a few more turns after a quick run. And yes I did check the gear mesh twice cause it was loud. But so far so good and when your ready you won't be disappointed.

RC Qualifier
    The gen 3 uses a hexagon pad, I have tot think b.c of the more contact surface with the clutch that it creates a better use for a clutch if that makes sense lol.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BuGgYbAsHeR.28 View Post
    The gen 3 uses a hexagon pad, I have tot think b.c of the more contact surface with the clutch that it creates a better use for a clutch if that makes sense lol.
    Makes all the sense in the world to me..... That's why I was asking about it...... The more contact surface, The more friction = less slippage.... and it's a bummer when you see smoke coming out from your truck as it sits there motionless with the motor running

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by mudbug85603 View Post
    Makes all the sense in the world to me..... That's why I was asking about it...... The more contact surface, The more friction = less slippage.... and it's a bummer when you see smoke coming out from your truck as it sits there motionless with the motor running
    I would have to agree. X2

RC Qualifier
    LoL...... Yeah, just to confim that I'm not an idiot...... Threw the new stock clutch in that thing tonight.....Slips just as bad tried to way over tighten it all that did was bend the flywheel. Guess no maxx fun this weekend HR double up won't be here till Tuesday..... Sure do hope that thing is as good as they claim

You gonna use the HR Double Up with the stock slipper pads or are you gonna use the #4964 brake disk?
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FQiQaQodyqIAPQ
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    The brake disk is what I use. It works great, and is a whole lot cheaper than getting the aluminum disk pads.

Fabulously awarded for good language useage.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-09-2015 at 04:01 AM.
    Yes, girls dig me. It's the cross I must bare.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    Didn't know about those, ordered the graphite pads. Do believe I'm gonna get one of those on the way too
    Last edited by mudbug85603; 05-09-2015 at 06:14 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Sure do like the Traxxas Heavy Duty Slipper Clutch 5352R, aluminum pads seems to be a thicker plate too. Bought it for the Maxx and decided to go a different way. Dropped it into the Summit with the KD 700 conversion. Works great, plenty of grab even when it's slipping it's still grabbing hard.

RC Competitor
    Update on the Robinson racing slipper, all I can say is holy moly! I thought upgrading to the mm2 was a huge improvement, but this slipper unlocks the real power of the motor. I only used my 35c lipo batteries and it goes like my 65c lipos with stock slipper. So I have no idea what to expect with the big boys juicing that setup. Still getting used to the noise, but worth it for the absolute go factor. Would buy again.

I am using the robisons 60t on my erebe set up and like wise, wow its something, I am planning to get for the rest of my rigs, normally I would have stuck to plastic but went this route after all the hype, and yes it does make the difference.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Qualifier
    Will definitely keep the RR GENIII clutch on the list. Have the HR Double up on order along with an assortment of pads. Between the HR Graphite pads, the Traxxas 4964 brake disk, and the Traxxas 5352R aluminum pads I just ordered I'll find something that works. Put the 3 of the aluminum pads in the Summit today it grabs stronger than could even imagine so with 6, do believe it will hook up hard.

RC Champion
    For what its worth i ran a rr gen 3 on my savage. I ran the truck for an entire summer on 6s doing standing backflips and motor cross style jumps. The truck and slipper held up great.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Qualifier
    Put the HR Double Up on it today with 6 HR Graphite pads used the conical springs that came with the Traxxas 5352R. Tightened the nut just so it would grab rolling it on the floor by hand gave it another 1/4 turn and put the juice to it.
    Hooked up pretty good....ran it for about 5 minutes and checked for heat at the input shaft. Was a little warm, so gave it maybe a 1/16 -1/8 of a turn, let it cool off a bit and put the juice to it again...... WOW ..... Had to put the body on it, wheelies on demand, standing back flips by accident and the clutch is running cool, no more slippage. Still have the Hexagon brake pad and the aluminum pads on the way. Don't think they will be needed right now......Spares, always need spares!!!!

RC Competitor
    Glad to hear. It can be an eye opening experience when one installs a new "slipper". I'm just excited that they don't slip. Nothing but GO!