RC poster

T Maxx 2.5 to Brushless... Need Some advice!

I'm converting a 2.5 into a brushless beast. I've had a 1/8 Mamba monster sitting, not knowing what to do with it. Then I looked at my Tmaxx that I got it some rc lot. I decided to convert it, and bought a how2rc motor mount. Things got busy with kart racing, and it sat for a while. I'm not planning on running 6s through this beast, I want it to stay in one piece. I'll probably stick with 4s. Maybe even 3. Just kinda wondering what all it is going to need...

1: Can the stock 2.5 tranny take it once I do a forward only and one gear conversion? I would have no problem making an adapter plate to mount an Emaxx or Revo tranny in it if needed.
    2: I've considered making up a new chassis plate that would sit at least an inch lower than stock to lower the cg. I have everything I need to make it, and I program and operate a CNC, so anything that needs to be made can easily be made. Would this help a lot? A friend of mine did an lcg conversion on his slash and it made a world of a difference.

Basically, I just want to make an awesome brushless beast. Never messed with nitro and don't plan on it. Any suggestions are appreciated. I'd also like to get an idea of what weak points I can expect so that I can go ahead and get upgrade parts. Thanks!

RC poster
    I just posted on an upgrade I am working on. It was titled 3906 brushless upgrade. See if any of that helps. I am learning as I go along also.

I would suggest getting a 3908 tranny and chassis and bolting on your front and rear ends. Tranny and chassis can both be found preassembled on ebay for pretty cheap.

Your diffs may or may not hold up to 4s brushless power. Mine didn't but I had the old 2 screw diffs. Once I upgraded to the newer style 3908 diffs, I havn't had any issues and I've been running solely on 4s.
    Brushless Everything

RC poster
    I'd like to go that route, but I already have the motor mount and don't really want to put a bunch of money into it. Will the 2.5 tranny hold up after the forward only and one gear? If so, I'll just stick with it.

I think it will hold. I havnt tried it yet though so maybe someone else can chime in who has done it. Maybe it would be a good idea to have some extra gears and a 1/16" (I think that was the size?) drill bit ready if your tranny doesn't tolerate the powa.

It's been a while since I've messed with my T-Maxx but if I recall correctly, it was the idler gear (maybe I'm thinking E-Maxx here) and the drive pin that are the weakest points in your tranny. A quick google search will verify though.

Then outside of your tranny, you have other weak points to worry about...

If you have the old 2 screw style diffs they probably wont hold up. Mine didnt.

If your driveshafts aren't newer spec (blue boots) they might twist and snap. Mine did.

If your slipper is the old friction peg style, it will slip no matter how you try and rig it. Mine did.
    Brushless Everything