Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    50

    Guys,help noobie please!

    I am thinking of buying my first rc car...read fullfilling childhood dream!

    Slash 4wd looks very interesting to me.
    Few questions i need your help with?:

    Does Pe parts make the truck so much better that it is worth of buying radio/receiver separately? better handling,better durability etc?

    If you guys think PE,then what radio/seceiver combo? How you guys like traxxas version?

    Help me out with knowledge.

    Thank you in advance guys!

    J

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stockton, Ca.
    Posts
    928
    Does Pe parts make the truck so much better that it is worth of buying radio/receiver separately? better handling,better durability etc?
    I have the PE but for your 1st RC car get the RTR its not going to make much of a difference. I bought the PE because I have lots of radios. If you get the PE Your going to have to learn about radios, receivers, preping bodies painting bodies,batteries, chargers. Buying transmitter and receiver, paint, battery, charger not thats bad or hard. If you get the RTR everthing is in the box charger, battery and radio. Charge and go the same day you pick up your truck. Smiling as you pull the trigger. Then you can learn about the hobby at a more relaxed pace. I like the radio that comes with the RTR
    Last edited by radicalray; 01-13-2010 at 12:46 AM.

  3. #3
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,242
    If you want to bash rather than race, I'd also suggest the RTR. Less hassle and the upgrades on the PE are mainly aimed at racers. Get the RTR, open the box, charge the battery, and rip!
    Traxxas racing!

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. RC-Crazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, WA.
    Posts
    3,852
    if this is your first RC, go for RTR.
    Slash PE & Ja-two.

  5. #5
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    50

    Thanks a lot guys!

    Thank you so much guys for your opinions

    Pe parts make car more durable? They include something i will eventually get?(upgades)
    They make car better handling? is there a mistake in my way of reasoning here?

    I will need more batteries to car,read lipos.. soon anyway, i need better charger anyway?

    So my noobish way of thinking tells me i only pay radio/receiver more than RTR?

    Btw is that receiver hard to install?

    Make me think right guys

    dont get me wrong, i appreciate your HELP a lot...

  6. #6
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,242
    The PE has some aluminum parts that are mostly appearances. If you make one part stronger, it just moves the break point on down the line, so I don't really think it's a durability upgrade. The bulk of the money in the PE difference is the center diff, which you probably won't notice. The slipper is probably preferred for bashing because it doesn't require maintenance like a diff and can't really break.

    I don't think you'll ever "need" the upgrades of the PE unless you start to race, and even then not until you get some degree of ability, which takes time. The RTR radio looks to be a pretty decent unit, being 2.4ghz eliminates frequency conflicts and glitching, which is 80% of the reason to upgrade a radio. The other features of advanced radios will again only be useful for racing when you've developed enough ability to need it.

    A receiver is a basic install, getting into the waterproof box and routing the wires is really all it requires. Takes 20 minutes if you've never done it before, less than 5 if you have.

    Lipos and a good lipo charger is something you will appreciate no matter how you run the truck in my opinion. If you're looking for the first upgrade path, that is it. There are many threads on here about different battery and charger setups so I won't go back over the same ground, but I'd suggest looking at *********.com ******* 2s 5000 mAh packs and one of their charger/powersupply combos. You'll get more performance and better runtime from lipos, although the initial expense of batteries and a charger will be a bit steep.
    Traxxas racing!

  7. #7
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathchild
    The PE has some aluminum parts that are mostly appearances. If you make one part stronger, it just moves the break point on down the line, so I don't really think it's a durability upgrade. The bulk of the money in the PE difference is the center diff, which you probably won't notice. The slipper is probably preferred for bashing because it doesn't require maintenance like a diff and can't really break.

    I don't think you'll ever "need" the upgrades of the PE unless you start to race, and even then not until you get some degree of ability, which takes time. The RTR radio looks to be a pretty decent unit, being 2.4ghz eliminates frequency conflicts and glitching, which is 80% of the reason to upgrade a radio. The other features of advanced radios will again only be useful for racing when you've developed enough ability to need it.

    A receiver is a basic install, getting into the waterproof box and routing the wires is really all it requires. Takes 20 minutes if you've never done it before, less than 5 if you have.

    Lipos and a good lipo charger is something you will appreciate no matter how you run the truck in my opinion. If you're looking for the first upgrade path, that is it. There are many threads on here about different battery and charger setups so I won't go back over the same ground, but I'd suggest looking at *********.com ******* 2s 5000 mAh packs and one of their charger/powersupply combos. You'll get more performance and better runtime from lipos, although the initial expense of batteries and a charger will be a bit steep.
    i agree with every thing except that you don't need the upgrades unless you start to race
    so i have to disagree with you in that part.

    i think the PE is also good for bashers (if thy have a 2.4 ghz radio and receiver)

    first it will be more durable especially in winter

    second basher like to paint body's too

    third you can sell the center diff and the sway bars and get money.

    and i could go on and on

    so if you bash and have a 2.4 ghz radio and receiver get the PE

    but if you don't have 2.4 ghz radio and receiver and if it is your first car get the rtr
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by jhaas
    I am thinking of buying my first rc car...read fullfilling childhood dream!

    Slash 4wd looks very interesting to me.
    Few questions i need your help with?:

    Does Pe parts make the truck so much better that it is worth of buying radio/receiver separately? better handling,better durability etc?

    If you guys think PE,then what radio/seceiver combo? How you guys like traxxas version?

    Help me out with knowledge.

    Thank you in advance guys!

    J
    In a word: YES

    My PE is like my 7th or 8th RC and I love it more then the others!

    I had a bunch of radio's so I was going to use a TQ3 in it but ended up getting the 2.4ghz Traxxas TX and RX very happy with it. But you don't have to use a 2.4ghz radio you can use any TX and RX you want.

    I don't race well at least not at a track!
    So I'd say I'm a basher but I still care very much about how a RC handles, holds uo, etc...

    So racer or basher the PE is the better choice either way IMO...

    The upgrades that come on the PE are worth well more then a TX and RX.
    Last edited by Mr. eXtreme; 01-13-2010 at 12:54 PM.
    Slash 4X4 PLATINUM EDITION, Revo 3.3 Crawler

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    653
    get the RTR. sounds like a good fit.
    Check out *********. com for lipos, look at the ***** 4000 25c 2s hardcase.
    you can find a thunder charger online for like 60 bucks
    Paul
    Slash 4x4

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleSlasher
    get the RTR. sounds like a good fit.
    Check out *********. com for lipos, look at the ***** 4000 25c 2s hardcase.
    you can find a thunder charger online for like 60 bucks
    IMO... If your going to get better batteries and a better charger anyway you should just go with the PE.

    The batt and charger that come with the truck are worth like 30 bucks and just ok. You'll only get like 15 min run time.

    Running LIPO I'm getting 45min run time...

    I still say the PE is a better way to go.
    Slash 4X4 PLATINUM EDITION, Revo 3.3 Crawler

  11. #11
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,242
    This would be his first RC car - therefore he won't have any radio equipment, batteries, chargers, etc. That's why I suggested the RTR is a better option for him, it has everything to get running as quickly and easily as possible.

    He would need quite a bit more investment to get running if he chose the PE, plus he's going to have to make decisions about what to get, and he most likely doesn't know A from B in any of those areas.

    I used to be into RC as a kid too, and when I decided to get back into it as a 30-something I bought a Rustler RTR. Compared to what I have now, years later, it's pretty tame, but I had a great time with it and it got me back into the hobby without having to overload my brain with choices. The Slash 4x4 is going to be much more to handle than that Rustler XL5 was, so I honestly don't think he's going to miss anything that the PE comes with.
    Traxxas racing!

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    299
    something nobody seems to mention... so it may just be me... but the aluminium makes the linkage feel tighter, both in hand and more so on the ground. i havn't ran the 4x4 rtr, but my experience with 2wd and other models this is the case.

    and i think the swaybars are worthwile for bashers... this thing is fast, really fast, and anything that helps keep it on all 4 is welcome...

  13. #13
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    50

    Thanks guys!

    You well based opinions have been really helping me alot guys and now i need to put my head together and do some decisions on my own . I am sure that i will be happy whatever i decide


    J

  14. #14
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    2,345
    As for the alumn parts, you will benefit from those no matter if you race or bash. Most people with the regular Slash end up upgrading them anyway because the plastic ones break quite often.

  15. #15
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    50

    Lets make it harder than it is:LOL

    Ok guys, if i decide to go with PE, what would be your recommendation for radio/receiver that would be good?
    I might as well buy decent stuff cause life is too short buy BAD stuff
    Lets say something between 100-200 bucks?


    all the best


    jussi


    This type of Language is not permitted here.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-14-2010 at 04:18 PM.

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    495
    If this is your first RC Truck/Car, Get the RTR, that way you have a Radio and everything and see if you like it, then if youdo, then you can add upgrades , get a better radio, but definately BUY THE RTR for your first RC. There is a buch of us that this is about our 5-20th RC vehicle. After having 6-revo 3.3's, 5-Jato 3.3's, 2-Rustler VXL's, 2-2WD Slashes, 2-T-Maxx 3.3's, 2-Boats and a Helicopter. This is my 21 RC Vehicle, so Just That's why I say get the RTR and get in slowly, then the bug will bite and $20,000.00 later you will wonder what happened.

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    291
    Get the RTR you can always turn it into a PE, you just need 6 aluminum parts a clear body and center diff and sway bars you can choose the parts you want not just be stuck with blue aluminum when soon red and silver will be available.
    You're not too old if you're still having fun!

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. eXtreme
    IMO... If your going to get better batteries and a better charger anyway you should just go with the PE.

    The batt and charger that come with the truck are worth like 30 bucks and just ok. You'll only get like 15 min run time.

    Running LIPO I'm getting 45min run time...

    I still say the PE is a better way to go.
    no crap dude... i havent touched either the battery or charger
    he needs the 2.4
    and hes a beginner
    Paul
    Slash 4x4

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by jhaas
    Ok guys, if i decide to go with PE, what would be your recommendation for radio/receiver that would be good?
    I might as well buy decent stuff cause life is too short buy BAD stuff
    Lets say something between 100-200 bucks?


    all the best


    jussi

    for 300, get the DX3r lol. its that much better...
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-14-2010 at 04:18 PM.
    Paul
    Slash 4x4

  20. #20
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    98
    I THINK SOME1 (veteran that he is) LIKES TO HEAR HIMSELF TALK.

  21. #21
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by peeweedogue
    I THINK SOME1 (veteran that he is) LIKES TO HEAR HIMSELF TALK.
    and who is that
    Paul
    Slash 4x4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •