Thread: \Backslash 4x4

RC Champion

\Backslash 4x4

A few things to get out of the way:
    1. I had actually zero intention of doing this until about 2 hours before it was done, when I said to myself, "Ah, what the heck."
    2. I do not consider this a "project" in any way, shape, or form. Anything this simple, and that can be done in 2 hours does not count as a project to me. I will not be putting up a project page.
    3. I won't be detaching either bumper, because they capture the hinge pins. To remove the bumper you'd have to cut it off, and I wanted to keep my bumpers for when I converted back to truck form.
    4. A \Backslash 4x4 conversion will not make good competition for a 1/8th scale buggy. I repeat. It will not! CoG is too high.

Photo: Backslash 4x4

As for the details:
    1. The body is an Ofna Ravager / 9.5 shell that's been beat to the ends of the earth and I won't be doing a better body because, as I mentioned, it's only going to stay in this form for a couple days. It may look like it's too short, but actually I just mounted it an inch to the rear because there was no material left back there to connect it to the shock tower. In retrospect, I should have simply extended the rear of the body with some scrap lexan instead. Oh, well. "Regular" 2wd \Backslash conversion bodies should work fine, but need to be cut differently for the 4x4.
    2. No idea what kind of wheels or tires they are -- they're generic, and not Pro-Line.
    3. The wing is from the Ravager too.
    4. Wing mount is something HPI or Hot Bodies. Honestly don't recall. Got it awhile back and it was in my parts bin. It's just a plain 90 degree wing mount with no modifications whatsoever. It's attached to two G10 plates I cut & drilled to sandwich the shock tower. It's as firm & secure as a mount can get and has no room to move. I may post pics of this in reference to the truggy conversion if it lasts long enough, but it's not high on the priority list, sorry.

Sorry I can't provide much support on this because I left it in this form for only about an hour or so before growing tired of it & moving on to the next thing. I just wanted to show that it can be done with ease.
    The #1 Traxxas RC fan, 12 years & counting!

RC Qualifier
    I knew you would do it. Looks good. LIke you said not a good buggy but I have lots of paddles and will make a good sand rig without having to build a overtray
    Last edited by radicalray; 01-10-2010 at 09:48 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Looks like the start of good things to come!
    JESUS says: "Fix it B4 it Breaks!"

RC Qualifier
    TAG.... gotta watch this build...
    The Bashing Grounds
    Ross M.
    5-Pointer!

RC Qualifier
    "as I mentioned, it's only going to stay in this form for a couple days"

Thats how it ALL starts...LOL

Nice choice of tires this time around
    The Bashing Grounds
    Ross M.
    5-Pointer!

RC Qualifier
    The body sitting on the shock towers doesn't look good. Couldn't you just mount in on the chassis?

RC Champion
    I've been asked about body fitment a couple of times by PM, so I thought I'd post my latest reply for everyone's benefit:

I actually have tried my 777 Crowd Pleazer body and my stock Mugen MBX5 shells (not Pro-Line) that I picked out for the original 2WD and both should work very well. They do need to be cut slightly differently, and mounted probably 1/4" to 1/2" farther rearward, but I don't see any other issues.

Another one that looks like it should work is the stock Associated RC8 body. The only issues with that one is that the rear pinches in a bit early, so you may need to cut out just a bit extra to clear the rearmost slants of the chassis.

Also, here are photos of the very hastily-assembled wing mount:

http://www.ultimaterc.com/i/traxxas-...-mount-002.jpg
    http://www.ultimaterc.com/i/traxxas-...-mount-009.jpg
    http://www.ultimaterc.com/i/traxxas-...-mount-004.jpg
    http://www.ultimaterc.com/i/traxxas-...-mount-003.jpg

Like I said, it's secure as it can get. You can swing the truck around by the wing all day. The upper bolts are actually captured in nooks in the tower. I had to slightly trim back the thicker parts where the stock body mount unit bolts in. Nothing that would affect strength at all, though.

Hope this is useful.
    The #1 Traxxas RC fan, 12 years & counting!

RC Racer
    Looks very nice! I think that would be even more fun. Less drag plus more down force. I'll have to consider this for sure. Though I would like to keep in stock form in case I still wish to race it.

You should let us know how it performs. Though it may not be as low as an actual buggy it does have more travel so it can take the jumps a little better. I wouldn't be surprised if you gave some of the buggies a run for their money.

RC Champion
    Update! Found what wing mount I used! It's for the Hot Bodies D8.

RC Competitor
    [QUOTE=TheJANG][*]A \Backslash 4x4 conversion will not make good competition for a 1/8th scale buggy. I repeat. It will not! CoG is too high.

what is CoG mean.

^ Center of Gravity ^
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Qualifier
    I just found out this week at my local track that I'll be able to run my 4x4 /SLASH in the MOD class. I'm excited about that and this doesn't mean I'm calling my conversion a buggy.
    JESUS says: "Fix it B4 it Breaks!"