RC Racer

difference between slash vs. rustler

i'm sure this has been asked BUT i did a search on here as well as google. after going through countless threads on various sites, here included, and i couldn't find any definitive answers.

besides the obvious body, tires, and chassis differences, here's what i've gathered as differences........please correct me if i'm wrong and please add to this. i'm trying to decide on whether to add a rusty or to just convert my slash. i'm not looking to race or do speed runs. just mainly front, back yard, park, bashing. i think for what i'm looking to do, a rusty would fit the bill better. only questions is whether to get a rusty or convert my slash. so i'm not looking for input on which to go with, more hoping to learn/find out the differences between the two so i can decide if it makes more sense to financially to go one route vs. the other.

- everybody says the rusty is lighter and faster, but nobody says why or how? if they have the same drive shafts, tranny, spur, pinion, and motor.........how can one be faster then the other? is it just because the tires on the rusty are bigger vs. the smaller ones on the slash???

- rusty has a shorter wheelbase. about 1-2" shorter vs. the slash.

- people also say the rusty is lighter? is this because of the chassis and tires, or where else does the weight savings come from?

- they both share the same front a-arms, but what about the back, are they the same?

- i've seen some mention that the rear bearing carriers on the back of a slash has some toe-in vs the ones on the rusty does not? is this true?

- are the shocks the same?

- i have the rpm compensating offset front a-arms, will the 2.8" tires from a rusty fit on a slash without any mods?

i can't be the only one looking for this info.......looking forward to everybody's response!
    Last edited by snowbunnie; 03-06-2017 at 12:24 AM.

RC Racer
    wasn't able to edit the title of this thread, but wanted to clarify.........this is in regards to the differences between a 2wd slash vs. rustler.

RC Racer
    bump...

nobody has a slash and rustler out there?

or any input on this?

RC Enthusiast
    I assume you are talking about the 2wd version of the slash?

Edit: sorry didn't read your second post!

RC Competitor
    If you look at them side to side you will see why the slash is heavier. The slash has a bigger and taller chassis, large front and rear bumpers, and a much larger body. It's also a lot less aerodynamic due to its size, and therefore slower. Similar to the slash, the rustler uses wider offset wheels in front, than it does in the rear. You can use your offset compensating arms, the from track width will just be 6mm greater than stock.

RC Competitor
    The Rustler has very little ground clearance and mot great for all around bashing. Better suited for pavement.
    The Rustler come geared higher for higher top speed out of the box, but both can have stupid fast gearing.
    Rustlers are a little lighter as the chassis is smaller. Slash has narrower rear A arms, and tend to flip more.
    The shocks are the same and are interchangeable, as are most parts. 2.8" tires will likely rub on the Slash body.

RC Racer
    I think the rustler is better for street bashing, but the slash is better for all around bashing
    Slash Vxl
    Vintage Rustler

RC Racer
    I had a Rustler VXL before I traded it for Slash 4x4. With Proline Trenchers it was actually heavier than my Stock Brushed Slash.

RC Racer
    Go with a slash

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk
    Slash Vxl
    Vintage Rustler

The big body of the slash will protect the truck better. I'd go slash.

Also: Look at Jang from UltimateRC's reviews of these models. Then see which appeals to you. You can't go wrong! I have had them both to some extent and they are both super reliable.

Rustler
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WgsY3AY8v1A

Slash
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3gOS3SfX8bk
    and RC pilots say RC cars can't fly!

Having both the slash and rustler its purely looks. The platforms are basically identical except wider chassis and body on slash and higher cog. I really enjoyed my rustler when i first built it and was ripping across the soccer field (250' long) 2/3rds of the way on 2 wheels doing a wheelie. Now it had a 2200kv motor in it on 3s and was geared right but was stock besides esc and motor, basically just bashed with it til I decided to go full speed runner with it. The slash isnt really as much fun. Its soft suspension and higher cog makes it flip easily and wife and I (its her force edition slash) just seem to be always walking to flip it back over. Ive tried so many different suspension settings and only improved it slightly. Just not as impressed with it bashing in the grass as i was with the rustler. I have the velineon sys in slash on 3s as well with stampede gearing on it. 11/54. You could always lower the slash to sit like the rustler but then your loosing the race truck look and be better to just go with rustler unless like i said... you really like the slash look and want the stability... Just my .02 on it...

92.5 mph Rustler (Rusty 1.0 R.I.P.)
    78 mph on 4s/93 on 6s(Rusty 2.0)
    86.9 mph Stampede 4x4
    Last edited by Briber; 04-29-2017 at 10:20 AM.
    86.9 mph Stampede 4x4 & 92.5 mph Rustler (R.I.P.)