RC Qualifier

Aluminums parts making Slash so much better??...

just trying to choose between PE and RTR. i only bash not race. the extra stuff that PE comes with, are they really making the truck so much better??

1. aluminum c-hubs, steering blocks, axial carriers - not sure about these, any comments??

2. sway bars - i have them installed on my brushless e-revo, i can honestly tell you that i cannot really tell the differences they make...

3. aluminum shocks - i did that upgrade on my mini e-revo, again, i cannot tell the differences...

this is just my opinion, if i was to upgrade my truck, i would probably start with skid plates and a-arms first as you can see the differences right away coz the plastic ones get worn out...

can someone help me out on this please.

RC Champion
    If you bash, the c hubs and knuckles are about all you need. Sway bars are a race only item, for really fine tuning for a particular track. Bashers typically dont care how a truck handles, they just wanna run em up and down the street and crash them into stuff...so the durability items help a little. You could just boil the stock parts and get a lil more durability also. Most bashers dont need the aluminum shocks, because they probably arent gunna have oil in them anyway, lol. The standard 4x4 should be plenty good for what ya want.

RC Qualifier
    If you don't have a good radio get the RTR if you do get the PE. For Bashing the part you will see the most improvment with is the center diff, less so much on the other stuff depending on where you bash. Just add a center diff to the RTR and call it good. I did order the PE because I have lots of radios and receivers the aluminium to me is mostly bling I'm a plastic guy as long as the tolerences are good. Either way is going to work. Just my opinion. Have fun

RC Champion
    What the heck would a basher want with a center diff? LOL
    Bashers dont care how fast they can get around a track, they wanna do donuts and pop wheelies....

RC Champion
    edit* i'm disagreeing with the first reply

i'll disagree on that last shock statement. bashers will probably be flying off big ramps or bashing at the skate park, so the durability of aluminium shocks are a big +. the other aluminium parts are good for durability too.

i'll also disagree with the "bashers don't care how it handles" even though runs aren't timed, it really sucks to have to follow your truck around, flipping it back on its wheels every 30 sec.

my advice: if you already got a 2.4ghz radio (futaba, spektrum, traxxas 2.4ghz etc), buy an extra receiver and get the PE. if you don't have a 2.4ghz radio, go RTR.

RC Qualifier
    I am technically a basher and went with the PE. I say technically because I don't race in organized races but do "bash" on more homeade track type areas. I personally set my trucks up to almost track standards minus the ride height for more ground clearance. I don't do speed runs, jump off roofs, 50 foot ramps etc.. I guess I drive and maintain my trucks just as a racer would but I just don't know of any local tracks to get into racing at. Anyhow, if you have a radio I suggest the PE. If you don't like the sway bars take them off. The big bores alone are needed for bashing I say.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    The beauty of the center diff is the range of adjustment for the way the power comes on. Tune to take the edge off on hole shots, while still being able to yank the tires with full throttle. The f/c/r diff tuning abilities can help so much with high power driveability, something every basher needs.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by outkast187
    If you bash, the c hubs and knuckles are about all you need. Sway bars are a race only item, for really fine tuning for a particular track. Bashers typically dont care how a truck handles, they just wanna run em up and down the street and crash them into stuff...so the durability items help a little. You could just boil the stock parts and get a lil more durability also. Most bashers dont need the aluminum shocks, because they probably arent gunna have oil in them anyway, lol. The standard 4x4 should be plenty good for what ya want.
    Explain this boilng thing for durability, Please.
    JESUS says: "Fix it B4 it Breaks!"

RC Racer
    I think the only thing you would need is the Big Bore shocks. If you are going to go off big jumps, the shocks will start to leak. But I haven't really tested the 4x4 shocks yet.
    4x4 Slash
    3 2wd Slash
    3.3 T-max
    3.3 Revo

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdomracer
    Explain this boilng thing for durability, Please.
    It makes the plastic a little more flexable, it makes it a little closer to RPM style plastic. Its a trick we always had to do when racing the AE vehicles, mostly the t4. It was a brittle truck, but we could boil the parts and make a night and day difference. We would even boil the chassis to get a little flex in them for better handling. Im sure you could google it and find alot of info on it, or ask someone who races an AE vehicle on a regular basis.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.bjm
    I am technically a basher and went with the PE. I say technically because I don't race in organized races but do "bash" on more homeade track type areas. I personally set my trucks up to almost track standards minus the ride height for more ground clearance. I don't do speed runs, jump off roofs, 50 foot ramps etc.. I guess I drive and maintain my trucks just as a racer would but I just don't know of any local tracks to get into racing at. Anyhow, if you have a radio I suggest the PE. If you don't like the sway bars take them off. The big bores alone are needed for bashing I say.
    honestly i dont have a spare radio and the new 2.4 GHz could be good if its like how traxxas claims it to be - lighter, faster and with model memory.

i have heard from people that using aluminum parts doesnt necessary mean less breakage and better performance, that is the reason i am asking for others' opinions.

if the big bore shocks is the must have. i can purchase it separately.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by outkast187
    It makes the plastic a little more flexable, it makes it a little closer to RPM style plastic. Its a trick we always had to do when racing the AE vehicles, mostly the t4. It was a brittle truck, but we could boil the parts and make a night and day difference. We would even boil the chassis to get a little flex in them for better handling. Im sure you could google it and find alot of info on it, or ask someone who races an AE vehicle on a regular basis.
    Thanks for the reply, definitely doing a search because now I'm interested.
    JESUS says: "Fix it B4 it Breaks!"

RC Qualifier
    Then I say go with the RTR and get the radio then save a bit and get the shocks. You can most likely get by with just the aluminum shock caps and be ready to go.

RC Qualifier
    it seems lots of people have broken parts on their spanking new Slash ALREADY, this is freaking me out!!!

RC Champion
    I would go for PE, buy a radio separately and you will save money vs. buying the truck and upgrading.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by brushlessbandit
    I would go for PE, buy a radio separately and you will save money vs. buying the truck and upgrading.
    i hear you. dont get me wrong, i like putting new upgrades on my trucks (i have e-revo brushless and mini-e-revo). the big e-revo is pretty much still stock with the add-ons of sway bars and wheelie bar and luckily i have not yet broken a part since i bought it earlier this year!

i honestly dont know if all those extra parts on PE will make a huge difference to me based on the why i drive (no crazy jumps)... i mean its nice to have, but is it necessary? i dont know...

if i order the PE and the radio separately, that is extra $100 i have to spend NOW instead of just ordering RTR and MAY or MAY NOT do upgrades later on. you see the dilemma i am in?...

RC Enthusiast
    i have the rtr already and buying a pe tomorrow and got a used traxxas 2.4link radio for $75 cdn at lhs some one didnt need the stock radio w rtr so sold it to lhs. the pe will be for racing and not for bad weather. and the rtr will be for bashing or snow rain type of days. and can use for backup parts until they become available so if something breaks i can still run. not that anything has broken yet on the rtr, cause it has been a tank but the body is getting breaks in it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dude
    edit* i'm disagreeing with the first reply

i'll disagree on that last shock statement. bashers will probably be flying off big ramps or bashing at the skate park, so the durability of aluminium shocks are a big +. the other aluminium parts are good for durability too.

i'll also disagree with the "bashers don't care how it handles" even though runs aren't timed, it really sucks to have to follow your truck around, flipping it back on its wheels every 30 sec.

my advice: if you already got a 2.4ghz radio (futaba, spektrum, traxxas 2.4ghz etc), buy an extra receiver and get the PE. if you don't have a 2.4ghz radio, go RTR.
    +1 the reply saying a basher would not benefit from certain items is foolish. The shock caps popping off has been a HUGE problem for some time now. The Big Bores will stop that when bashers are doing their thing.

Plus bashers do care how cars handle, if they didnt they would all be running lunchboxes.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

RC Qualifier
    I went with a PE... I don't race yet... Mostly because I don't have any tracks local. McHenry IL. But I would like to get into it. Otherwise I mostly bash in the parking lot at work on lunch or after hours. Or up and down streets and I do use my skate ramps from time to time... But I care very much about how it handles, looks, and performs. But I'm a gear head through and through. LOL

So I think if it's something you enjoy and you have a radio go with the PE.
    Slash 4X4 PLATINUM EDITION, Revo 3.3 Crawler