RC poster

Ok, so I never should have gone XL in the first place...........

Hi all,

Happy Holidays etc! The time has come to spend some money on me once again and I am looking to get brushless power into my E Revo XL. I am keeping with Traxxas for now so will be getting the Traxxas Velineon VXL-3m Brushless Power System. I also have plenty of NiMh Power Cells and both series and parallel connectors. My question is with regard to gearing and I have read different opinions on this so thought I would throw it out again!

I mainly bash over typical park quality grass with both 'fairly' smooth areas combined with many a bump and natural jump! If I was to go for it and run in series for top speed, do you folks think I need to change gearing? (please bear in mind that my XL didn't come with the hi speed pinion gear). Obviously I am all about the thrashing of the wee beastie but I don't want anything to go bang or have a shorter life than normal. Thanks all and excuse my ignorance!

Cheers
    If it makes me smile, it's worth the money

RC Racer
    I actually don't agree. I wish I would have gone XL and simply upgraded to what everyone here upgrades to. Mamba Max Pro (MMP) for 1/10. Simple as that. The stock ESC gets horribly hot. Plenty of people have burnt them up. I would never ever buy the stock ESC. It's WAY too expensive for what you are getting. Get a MMP setup.

I actually look forward to when mine burns up so that I am forced to get a really good one.

t

RC Qualifier
    MMP is way overkill, all you really need is the 1/10 sidewinder, maybe the regular Mamba Max.

RC Qualifier
    if you want i will sell you my velineon esc and motor for a good price send me a pm if you are interested. i am taking my ezrun out of my rustler and putting it in my merv.

i've had it for a few months, never had any issues with the esc and motor, never slammed it into full throttle, took good care of it. i run 2 of the nimh batteries in series. the esc has never shutdown due to over heating and i have never had the motor go over 170*. and i have the "speed" pinion installed as instructed my the owners manual.
    Last edited by chuckmnnorris; 12-29-2009 at 04:28 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckmnnorris
    never slammed it into full throttle, .
    Really?? Just kidding I believe you it runs pretty good with 2 stock batteries in parallel mine never gets hot either

RC poster

Brushless virgin!

Thanks all for your thoughts.............

Brushless is quite a world when you look into it, he says rocking in his chair muttering 'change is bad'..................

RC Competitor
    Who never runs full throttle...

RC Qualifier
    i've run it at full throttle but never gunned it to full throttle when it is stopped.

RC poster
    I'm sorry but I get the feeling that there is such a thing as NOT full throttle. Surely this is not acceptable? After all, this is what end stops are for

RC Qualifier
    just wondering how people's esc's burn out - when it overheats, isn't it supposed to half the full throttle speed?