RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Good suspension setup?

Hey,
    My friend recently got a blitz, and i need to do some suspension tuning to keep up. Offroad, i can easily keep up with him on handling, but onroad, i flip ALOT more than he does.

Setup:

Rear:
    50wt oil
    big bores
    Shafts a tiny bit over center line

Front:
    45wt oil
    Big bores
    Inner holer hole
    arms right on the center line

Also, his car doesnt botom out easier than mine. Mine does alot easier. WHat should i do? will unprogressive springs fix all of this?
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Qualifier
    for the bottoming out issue, i am assuming that you are jumping, the slash is a heavier truck so that will happen alot more.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

RC Competitor
    try adding a sway bar, i got the dynamite one for the front of my slash and its made it more stable on the road.

RC Enthusiast
    For running on pavement so you don't flip so much, lower the suspension all the way in the rear. I have yet to flip it once since I have done this and done tons of broadies and this is at full speed and making a hard turn...granted it was usually wet...not so sure on dry. Just trying to help, good luck!

RC Racer
    To prevent bottoming out slide a piece of fuel tube or something similar over the shock shaft.

RC Qualifier
    The blitz has a lower COG and I have heard it is lighter. Fuel tubing can help abit with bottoming out, and swaybars can help abit with handling, but there is not much you can do.
    Last edited by Vinny_Sabatini; 12-26-2009 at 01:07 PM.

RC Qualifier
    lower it on the street and get some sway bars, possibly a low CoG chassis
    SLASH IS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    For my slash I used 45wt in the front shocks, 55wt in the rear shocks. Front shocks on outter hole on a arm, and on the rear shocks I cant remember which arm they are on but my cv's are level. It handled great with the stock chassis and now with my outlaw chassis It will eat up sc10's in the twisties

RC Qualifier
    There are limiters you can use that will help but the Slash is rear heavy.

I've set mine up with these components and found that I only bottom out if I hit a very high jump...hope it helps.

SUSPENSION:
    Front: TRX Big Bores with Titanium Shock Shafts, Losi 45W oil, Hot Racing Black Springs
    Rear: TRX Big Bores with Titanium Shock Shafts, Losi 50w oil, RC Raven T-Maxx and E-Maxx Black Powder Coated Dual Rate Shock Springs
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

RC Champion
    Set the shocks on the outtermost mounting holes on both F/R arms, cut a about 1/4 inch of fuel tubing and insert it inside the shock (beneath the piston), this make the shock 'shorter' by limiting its down travel, and increasing the spring rate as it's squeezed more.
    Myth busted: Blitz is not faster on the track.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ^^^if i do that, then i will bottom out easy.
    If i put unprogressive springs on the rear and the front, will that heal everthing? As my rear doesnt even bounce back once compressed (until fully compressed down, then it bounces a bit).
    If i get a Thunder tech chasis, that will help my flipping problems right? But then there still is the bottoming out.
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro792
    lower it on the street and get some sway bars, possibly a low CoG chassis

exactly

i keep 2 different preload setups depending on bashing vs. street

bashing is one large preload spacer up front and about 2 or 2.5 spacers in the rear... front shocks mounted on the inner holes on the A-arms...

street, however, you want it sitting as low as possible in the front and slightly higher in the rear. also the type of surface traction is gonna matter how much tendency to flip.

OR you could get a stadium truck, put it on proline road rage tires and run circles around the blitz all day long, with no flipping...

RC Champion
    If your running on road then it's ok to put fuel tubing in the shock to make it shorter but you don't want to do this for offroad running. Either way move the shocks to the outside hole on the arms.

I own both trucks and the blitz is a great truck but they the two trucks are not that different in performance. My slash can easily run with my blitz.
    My mother
    Reba Collins 6/30/52 - 3/1/10 1:13pm

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by arvint
    ^^^if i do that, then i will bottom out easy.
    If i put unprogressive springs on the rear and the front, will that heal everthing? As my rear doesnt even bounce back once compressed (until fully compressed down, then it bounces a bit).
    If i get a Thunder tech chasis, that will help my flipping problems right? But then there still is the bottoming out.
    Well, since this is for onroad setup, I guess you won't have to worry about big jumps and bottoming out..except if you jump it off a skate ramps as well ..there's a trade-off between plush suspension/ride height and handling. It's your choice really. For high grip asphalt, I would lean toward handling. You can prevent bottoming out by using a very hard and short springs, but it will handle like a gokart. Although they might make the slash more stable..on smooth surfaces only.
    Last edited by Out of Sight; 12-31-2009 at 05:05 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    This isnt for a onroad setup. its for both. Me and my friend walk to our offroad place, and the trucks handle evenly (well..with my brushless..mine zooms away). But when we walk back home, driving on road, he never flips, but i flip EVERY turn, unless i slow down to a walking pace. I want to retain good offroad jump/handling performance, while preventing flips. Is that possible with the stock chasis/springs? I just want to be able to keep up with him onroad, without lowering my car to much (and it is pretty low atm, which is why im getting rear bottoming out), so i wont flip. A long time ago, i did find a good setup, where i wont flip, but i kind of glide..but i totally lost that. :/
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Qualifier
    When I run on the road, I sometimes take my old stock shocks and ut the fronts on the rear, and get it to sit as far down as possible, then load each one with 2 and a half or 3 big preload spacers. (btw, this takes up basiclly 100% of the avalible space on the shock body, and it doesnt work with big bore fronts...)
    It works quite well as long as you are not jumping, or on uneven surfaces.
    I havnt figured out how to bring the front back down though, so it sits at an angle...
    Last edited by CoolestDinosoar; 12-31-2009 at 12:59 PM.
    I am lucky I don't have any money.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ah..i still dont know why the rear doesnt bounce back when compressed. Without shocks/tires, the arms fall down by them selves..is it becuase the shocks are the soft, combined with stiff shock oil?
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Qualifier
    What preload are you using?

Run 4mm on the street then switch to 8mm when you get to your track.
    Last edited by gientsosage; 12-31-2009 at 01:21 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I just upgraded my springs to non-progressive. It made a huge difference. I started with green and a 8mm spacer but might go up to pink.

I left the progressive on the front because they were out of fronts at the LHS, but still...

I can't remember the brand of springs, but it was the five color one.
    green/pink/blue/something/black

RC Racer
    I tried Big Squid's Slash setup and it works great. I don't play nice with it, 3 chassis's in about a month and a half. The last one got ran over by a car yesterday. OOPS!!!
    Last edited by slopok; 12-31-2009 at 06:53 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Where is that?^^^
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Qualifier

Slash shock problems

I got my slash about a week ago and the suspension is replying as it was? When it lands form a jumps or hits a bump the rear suspension doesnt come back up! Any body know whats wrong with it?

RC Qualifier
    this guy used 70 weight and it was really nice. but i use 45 weight but i use zipties so it doesnt really matter
    Slash 1/10/VXL
    Slash 1/16/VXL/2S
    for sale.

RC Qualifier
    ok well im new to the R/C thing and i dont know much?
    2nd place is 1st loser......

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ^^^try taking off the wheels and shocks. Bring up the arms, and they should drop by them selves.
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Qualifier
    ^^^try taking off the wheels and shocks. Bring up the arms, and they should drop by them selves.
    ok thnk you but i have it all figured out. I was trying to say if i push down on the suspension when its on the truck it wont raise all the way back up!
    2nd place is 1st loser......

RC Champion
    This isnt for a onroad setup. its for both. Me and my friend walk to our offroad place, and the trucks handle evenly (well..with my brushless..mine zooms away). But when we walk back home, driving on road, he never flips, but i flip EVERY turn, unless i slow down to a walking pace. I want to retain good offroad jump/handling performance, while preventing flips. Is that possible with the stock chasis/springs? I just want to be able to keep up with him onroad, without lowering my car to much (and it is pretty low atm, which is why im getting rear bottoming out), so i wont flip. A long time ago, i did find a good setup, where i wont flip, but i kind of glide..but i totally lost that. :/

Ah..i still dont know why the rear doesnt bounce back when compressed. Without shocks/tires, the arms fall down by them selves..is it becuase the shocks are the soft, combined with stiff shock oil?
    There's not much you can do with the stock chassis..the CG is the culprits of all those flippings..however there just might be a way. See if you can find a certain 2.2 offroad tires which do well offroad, but are totally slippery on hard surfaces. This will allow the tires to slide on asphalt and prevent them from hooking up and flipping the truck.

Yes, one of the reason the suspension wont bounce back (assuming the shock is in good condition, no bent shaft etc) is the weight of the oil..too light, the spring will bounce back too quickly, too heavy,the spring can't overcome the weight of the truck and the resistance of the oil.

Adding preloads will increase the spring rate which solves the problem, but it also lifts the truck's ride height and increase the CG..which we don't want. That's why I suggest a fuel tube inside the shock to limit and 'preset' its ride height, regardless of what spring rate we use

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I just got a front sway bar and it helped the problem a bit. Harder to flip now. A little less in low speed handling though. Me and my neighbor have our own small onroad track, and before the swaybar, my lowest time was 18seconds. Its 16 seconds now (I also changed the shock oil from 50 rear, 45 front. To 50/50, (and refilled the rear).

Had a problem today..turned on my slash..and my dx3s, went to use the throttle..but nothing moved..no steering either. Everything was fine, so i rebinded the reciever to the transmitter..and it worked again. Is the dx3s supposed to lose binding? (i got it and binded it only 1 month ago).

Also, my servo saver cracked off. And i found this in my spare parts (Kimbrough saver 121. "heavy duty X-Lar"). Is this ok to use on the slash?

i might pickup a rustler unprog. rate springs tommorow too.
    Last edited by arvint; 01-01-2010 at 10:44 PM.
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well..i just found out i actually have 2 unprog. rear rustler springs. Is it worth it to switch those out in the rear? If so..i have to go down in wt. oil right? Or should i stay at 50?
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My front sway bar broke..so im taking it off. I put unprg. rustler rear spings on the back though and took off the prog. ones. Should i change the rear wt oil (50atm). Will this prevent flips a bit?

Anyone...^^^^? I put the rear unprog. springs on..and it made my flipping problem worse.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-05-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: merge
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e