Thread: 2s gearing

RC poster

2s gearing

Hey everyone. Just yesterday I received my first Lipo. I got a 2s 5800mah pack and decided to throw in the optional 19t pinion gear. This thing flys!!! Quite literally. As a noob to the RC world, i must say I had a hard time controlling my childish grin. And now for the question! After the first pack I noticed the motor to be quite a bit hotter than with the stock battery. Just wondering (as I have yet to pick up a temp gun) if anyone has had any overheating issues on 2s with 19t/54 gearing. FYI, I'm mostly light bashing/short course and haven't noticed any binding of any parts other than a small stone getting wedged in my spur gear and sounding like I had stripped something. Thanks for reading!

RC Qualifier
    19/54 is intended for short periods of time, on perfect conditions for speed runs only. This will over heat your motor and ultimately burn it out. It is definitely not intended for bashing.
    Slash HCG & SW8 2200 kv Slash LCG Platinum

RC poster
    Right on. My main reason for increasing the pinion was I was worried that the 7.4v 2s would be slower than my 8.4v nimh battery with stock gearing. Is there even a point to increasing the pinion even if only by a few teeth for bashing? Or do you think I will be fine with the 13t?

A 2s lipo will be about the same speed as your nimh battery. The lipo will have more punch and the power will more consistent.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S 2400 MIP King Headz RPM 3PL

RC poster
    I guess this boils down to 'I should have tried it first' haha. Thanks guys, I'll be sure to change it back. That being said, what's the highest gear ratio that the VXL system can handle for bashing and track? I know it's kind of a vague question, just wondering if anyone's found something they're happy with.

RC Qualifier
    I was able to get away with a 15t at the track, but I only ran 6 minutes at a time/per battery.

RC Qualifier
    I've found that, barring a seized bearing somewhere, I can run 14/54 all day long without any heat issues. However, if I switch over to the 2.8" Talon tires and bash hard, I can run into heat problems so I think 14/54 is probably just about the limit for a stock setup on 2s if you want a reasonable expectation of keeping temps in check.

All that said, there are so many variables from truck to truck, driver to driver, and location to location, so your best bet is to start at 12 or 13/54 and use a temp gun to find your own sweet spot.

No such thing as a definite answer to your question. Too many variables.
    Best advise is to purchase an IR Temp Gun, several pinions, and drive it where and how you want.
    Stop and take temps many times while running until you get it to where you want.

Have fun!
    Slash 4X4 Platinum / Mini E-Revo VXL

RC poster
    Thanks a lot everyone. I know it's a difficult question, but there's a lot of useful stuff being suggested nonetheless. I was originally thinking of getting a 16 or 17t pinion, but I think I'll grab a 14 and maybe a 15 along with a temp gun. To be honest, I thought I would be able to get away with a higher gear ratio.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck07 View Post
    I thought I would be able to get away with a higher gear ratio.
    Put a 2400kv in it and that 19t pinion will be right at home!!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    Put a 2400kv in it and that 19t pinion will be right at home!!
    All in good time haha. It's my first RC and I've only had it a few months now, and yet I've already accumulated quite the mod list. Just want to get the most out of my VXL before I even consider something more powerful. I'm still in drivers Ed so to speak.

RC Qualifier
    I would also highly recommend getting some upgrades to assist in keeping temperatures under control. I few really easy ones would be:

Heatsink!

Heatsink with fan!

Motorplate!

There are plenty of options out there to assist in keeping the temps down. As already stated, which ever way you head on this, it is very important to monitor your temps and prevent overheating. If you absolutely must go faster and push that temp gauge to the max, you will most likely be better off getting a motor upgrade to something a bit more powerful.
    Last edited by newtonsapple; 05-18-2015 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Letters far too big

My neighbor's basically Stock Slash 4x4 (no additional cooling) hit 200F on 15/54 on a freshly cut lawn after about 12 minutes.

P.S. A fully charged LiPo is really 8.4 volts. 4.2 volts per cell.
    Slash 4x4 LCG. ET-3S/2400, Tekno, Savox, RPM, GTRs

RC Competitor
    I've run 2s with 18/50 gears with a fan/heat sink on the motor and no issues. I also cut a few vent holes in the body to help with air flow. ran it in both grass and loose dirt using a 5000mah 50c battery. Motor temps were under 150 and ESC was under 125.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck07 View Post
    All in good time haha. It's my first RC and I've only had it a few months now, and yet I've already accumulated quite the mod list. Just want to get the most out of my VXL before I even consider something more powerful. I'm still in drivers Ed so to speak.
    To bad more people dont follow your lead, you run 2s and for months have had no problems, just fun
    Nearly everyone who buys a new rig and has to have that 3s, next thing you know its a fried system.
    Keep running 2s with the stock system and it will run a long time, you may need to put bearings in it once in a while but thats it.
    One day you'll decide to upgrade and still have a good backup system.
    I'll bet theres 10 or more fairly resent post on I was running my slash on 3s and now it wont go.
    This wont be an issue on 2s and sensible gearing.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC poster
    Thanks Billy! I've swapped out my 19 for the 13 and it's definitely running cooler then before (no surprise there). I think I should grab some new tires (currently running my totally bald stock rally tires) I'm sure more grip will help with the top speed. On another note, I got my MIP x-duty's today, woohoo!!! Now just have to wait for my Protrac kit and I'll actually be able to install them lol.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    To bad more people dont follow your lead, you run 2s and for months have had no problems, just fun
    Nearly everyone who buys a new rig and has to have that 3s, next thing you know its a fried system.
    Keep running 2s with the stock system and it will run a long time, you may need to put bearings in it once in a while but thats it.
    I'll bet theres 10 or more fairly resent post on I was running my slash on 3s and now it wont go.
    I am a culprit and a supporter of this comment! I got a 3S for a gift and LOVED it. Was stupid crazy fast. But then I realized how crazy it is. So I bought 2S lipos after that for my HCG truck. It is more ideal for bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I do agree with you. I personally have never run 2s in my trucks. I also knew that I had to be very aware of my motor temperature. For me I realized that driving smooth keeps motor temperature at bay. It is hard to have the power and not abuse it. A heatsink with a fan for me is an absolute necessity.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S 2400 MIP King Headz RPM 3PL

RC poster
    what size pinion comes on the slash stock? I also have an extra one that came with it but its not marked?

Comes with 13/54 installed and an optional 18t pinion.
    Slash 4X4 Platinum / Mini E-Revo VXL

Quote Originally Posted by photocycler View Post
    what size pinion comes on the slash stock? I also have an extra one that came with it but its not marked?
    Be careful with that "extra" one though. It is only meant for short term use and only on pavement.
    Slash 4x4 LCG. ET-3S/2400, Tekno, Savox, RPM, GTRs

RC poster
    My rally came with a 13t installed and an optional 19t. Seems odd that all the included paper work refers to the 18t. Was there a change made after too many fried VXL's? Hahaha.

RC Champion
    I run almost exclusively on grass on 2S. With trenchers I could run 15/54 and sometimes 17/54 depending on the length of the grass (longer grass lower gear) and if it was wet (wheels spin in the wet - can gear higher) BUT since I swapped to Badlands I ONLY rum 13-14/54 - so much grip = higher temps

In short, gearing depends on many things both on the truck (weight, tyres, drivetrain resistance, gear mesh, lubrication, etc etc) and off the truck (ambient temp, surface, gradient etc) AND, finally your driving style.

Most important is to keep using the temp gun and try to keep the temps below 180F

I messed up the other day and hit temps of 225F and managed to melt my outerwears. Luckily motor "seems" ok
    Time I enjoy wasting is not time wasted