RC Enthusiast

Need help on my slash build budget (first post so plz be patient) ;)

I got a older slash 4x4 1/10 from my friend. I had to replace the esc, so I got a brand new vxl-3s 4 pole with new plugs and the 2 pole ran fine so I kept it. I'm a basher and run on grass dirt and pavement. So it tends to run a little bit hot so I was wondering before I go and get a 3s lipo what can I do to get A. More power and B. Keep it as cool as possible.

RC Qualifier
    You'd be more than pleased on 3s and gear it low but temps will be warmer so fans and heat sinks don't really do much. Just have fun with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RC Enthusiast
    What gearing do u say I should use? I do use some older stampede tires for fun every once and a while.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gdude1057 View Post
    What gearing do u say I should use? I do use some older stampede tires for fun every once and a while.
    Whatever the stock gearing is would be fine. Bigger tires also mean the motor needs to work harder which increases temperature too. How old are we talking? The stock gearing on my slash 4x4 is 13t pinion and I ran 3s all day everyday without overhearing. Instead of the esc you bought you could've bought a castle motor and esc combo and ran 3s only and temps would be low.

RC Enthusiast
    Here's what I just finished:

https://youtu.be/gb91_onvMMk

Currently upgrade arms to RPM and drivelines to MIP

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Good job on the MIP's. They are great axles. I would watch the RPM arms though, they have a tendency to sag after time and abuse. Just make sure they stay straight so they don't put unwanted pressure on the X-Duties.
    "Gone racing"

RC Enthusiast
    I'm mine I would say is about 5 years old. I think let me go and check the gearing
    And if I were to get a new system what would y'all say? Remember on budget!

RC Enthusiast
    It is a 13t

RC Enthusiast
    I know I got mad at myself when I realized that I could have gotten castle stuff. lol

RC Qualifier
    I know I got mad at myself when I realized that I could have gotten castle stuff. lol
    You'll be fine just start saving for it. Just keep the gearing low and normal 2.2 tires even though you know you only use stampede tires once in a while

RC Enthusiast
    Ok thx for the help

Quote Originally Posted by ExCabSwap View Post
    Here's what I just finished:

https://youtu.be/gb91_onvMMk

Currently upgrade arms to RPM and drivelines to MIP
    In that video, those adapters will add some strain on the current, creating more heat. That plus X-duties is gonna need that!
    Member of the 100+ post club! Here to mess up!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zypher View Post
    In that video, those adapters will add some strain on the current, creating more heat. That plus X-duties is gonna need that!
    Ya, the wires heat up a little. Trying to decide if I want to convert my lipos over to Traxxas... But I'd have to convert my crawler over as well...

RC Enthusiast
    Is there any upgrade driveshaft out there that are budget friendly cuz I was looking at mine right know and saw that I might need new ones soon.

1. If you keep your truck up on a stand, the rpm A-arms won't warp. 2. Did you say you have a Velineon 4-pole motor but you're still using the 2-pole?? I'd change out to the 4-pole for more power and lower temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Enthusiast
    I have a 4 pole esc with the 2 pole motor running 2s lipo... It works fine just a little bit hot for my taste

RC Qualifier
    Dang talk about old. Idk what would work for something of that different configuration.

RC Enthusiast
    I was thinking maybe tekno driveshaft but if I want to upgrade my system that starts to add up ssssoooo anyone have any ideas about esc combo/driveshaft upgrade idea? That is $220 or under?

RC Enthusiast
    Or a motor that would work with the new vxl 3s

RC Enthusiast
    My Velineon vxl-3s combo was 145 or so, add the Tekno drive shaft kit with the ends and that's another 30

RC Enthusiast
    Ok so after doing some research and planing I was thinking of using this system for my slash any ideas (Castle Creations Sidewinder 8th Esc and Motor Combo) It definitely has the power but would I need to upgrade the driveshafts?

If you run the Sidewinder 8, you will need driveshaft upgrades soon after installing it.
    "Gone racing"

RC Enthusiast
    I just found all my answers lol!!!!
    It explains Everything perfectly just the slightest bit out of date
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...uy-quot-thread

RC Champion
    Look at hobby wing stuff. It's nice and budget friendly. Remember Castle is not the only name other than Traxxas. Poseidon motors are better than Castle IMO. Budget friendly Castle combos are subject to heat issues like the VXL stuff

RC Enthusiast
    Ok thx I will keep that in mind

RC Enthusiast
    This is my last question. I have these two systems in mind it's the Castle Creations Sidewinder 8th Esc and Motor Combo for 150 plus driveshafts teknos for 70 all round which puts me at 220 (im nervous about the diffs). Then the next system is the Mamba Max Pro SCT Combo with 1415-2400kv and that's 189 then plus the driveshaft 70 that's 260ish. here is the question do I need to upgrade the diffs for these systems and which one would be better to run in a 2s-3s system (I read up on how the 8th system needs 3s and up) I need some help... Thanks y'all for listening to me rambling

I got a older slash 4x4 1/10 from my friend. I had to replace the esc, so I got a brand new vxl-3s 4 pole with new plugs and the 2 pole ran fine so I kept it. I'm a basher and run on grass dirt and pavement. So it tends to run a little bit hot so I was wondering before I go and get a 3s lipo what can I do to get A. More power and B. Keep it as cool as possible.

That is a video that will answer your question. That is conclusive evidence of whether heatsink with a fan combinations work or not.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    Thx I think i found most of what I'm looking for