RC Enthusiast

Slash vs. Rustler

I have a traxxas slash with a brushless motor and my neighbor just got a rustler vxl and he says it goes 40 mph in training mode I think thats the slashs top speed without going lippo.

So Can anyone tell me why the ruslter is faster than the slash?

I appreciate it

RC Qualifier
    Unless he has a 3s lipo, he is lying. I know my slash does around 43 with a 2s.
    Free all none violent drug offenders!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    40mph in training mode is impossible with a velineon IMO.
    The rustler IS fasther than a slash top speed wise. With the same battery, same gearing, and tires, you both should be close, but the slash does have aerodynamic issues. But other wise, speed wise, the rustler is faster than the slash.
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Qualifier
    To me, the rustler doesnt appear to be as much of an off-road oriented vehicle.
    They have obvious differences, but the rustler is obviously made for more speed over capabi;ity

that is just what i SEE
    idk, ive never had a rustler before
    I am lucky I don't have any money.

Well your neighbor is full of crap. It will not do 40mph in training mode. Maybe 20 or less.

I own both trucks, both are Brushless, and IMO when set up for bashing they will run about the same speed. But for all out top speed runs the Rustler will be the better of the two due to it's lower CG, lighter weight and more streamline lid designs.

But as far as handling. My Slash handles alot better at the higher speeds due to the longer wheelbase and rear toe in but it takes alot more to get to the higher speeds due to the Slash being a bit heavier than the Rusty. While the Rustler is a little more touchy with it's short wheelbase and no rear toe.

Either way I love driving both trucks, they both have their own unique aspects.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 12-15-2009 at 09:00 PM.

RC Qualifier
    first hand experience here... drove the rustler and own a slash. dont like the rustler at all and very glad i didnt buy it. "final semmation" it sucked compared to slash.
    Slash 1/10/VXL
    Slash 1/16/VXL/2S
    for sale.

RC Champion
    first hand experience here also... i have 3 rustlers and 1 slash. i prefer the rustler any day over the slash. sure a stock rustler does not have toe in the rear but that can easily be fixed. the slash in my opinion is more unstable then rustler. as far as off road all my rustlers handle anything i can through at them.

RC Qualifier
    My Rusty is running mid 50's - 60.

In Sport mode on a 2C 7.4 V 5000MAH Lipo...
    With a larger pinion gear.

40 in training mode... I don't know about that...

Unless it's really geared up...

I've had people tell me theirs run faster in race mode then sport mode.

I don't that can be true either as all race mode does is take away reverse...
    Slash 4X4 PLATINUM EDITION, Revo 3.3 Crawler

RC Enthusiast

Thanks

I will race him this weekend and see what happens I have been practicing.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by schofield
    first hand experience here also... i have 3 rustlers and 1 slash. i prefer the rustler any day over the slash. sure a stock rustler does not have toe in the rear but that can easily be fixed. the slash in my opinion is more unstable then rustler. as far as off road all my rustlers handle anything i can through at them.
    NOT IN MY OPINION!!!
    Slash 1/10/VXL
    Slash 1/16/VXL/2S
    for sale.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicSlash
    NOT IN MY OPINION!!!
    ok, but you have only driving one rustler once. not a lot to compare with. slash has a higher center of gravity.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by schofield
    Agreed, a rustler is far more capable than a slash. Only thing special about a slash is that you can race them without flipping them over due to truck bumping into one another.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicSlash
    NOT IN MY OPINION!!!
    You gotta be kidding. Wider wheelbase = better stability.

RC Champion
    They are different trucks. On a track, the Rustler is going to handle better because it's a stadium truck. For general bashing, neither is really better as they are designed differently to handle different situations. I have both and enjoy the Slash more because of the realistic body roll and the way it looks but the Rustler is just as fun to drive. On pavement, stock, the Rustler is better around corners as I roll my Slash all the time but with adjustments, the Slash can be just as competitive in the hands of the right driver. For speed, the Rustler wins for reasons already stated. I don't agree that he can get 40 in training mode though. Since it's half power, theoretically, that would mean he would be getting 80 in sport mode and it's highly unlikely that he can even get 60 is my guess.

RC Qualifier
    Rancho Tehama or Red Bluff area or California
    Backslash your slash with a lower cig chassis and guarantee the rustler will not be seen since it would be hidden in your dust. ha-ha =)
    Broken parts=New better parts

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nunster
    Backslash your slash with a lower cig chassis and guarantee the rustler will not be seen since it would be hidden in your dust. ha-ha =)
    You don't want to get into a mod war. You can mod a rustler to beat a backslash. You can then mod that slash even more to beat the modded rustler, and so on and so forth.

RC Qualifier
    Well my brother has a rustler VXL. We race alot, and his rustler VXL with a 7 cell vs my slash VXL with a 2s lipo, he is a few MPH faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny_Sabatini
    Well my brother has a rustler VXL. We race alot, and his rustler VXL with a 7 cell vs my slash VXL with a 2s lipo, he is a few MPH faster.
    that's normal, 8.4v vs 7.4v, and the rustler is lighter wt than slash.
    Slash PE & Ja-two.