RC Racer

Waterproof Brushless System

I have noticed lots of talk about waterproof brushless systems on the board here. And a lot more wishing that there was a complete waterproof system. What keeps one from mixmatching esc's and motors? Say buy a traxxas VXL-3s waterproof brushless speed control (compatible with any motor). Info found here: http://www.traxxas.com/products/acce..._vxl3s_h2o.htm and hooking it up to a Novak HV Pro sensored brushless motor. Info found here: http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...5mm/index.html Specs on both the esc and motor make it look as if they would be compatible. This particular esc has an auxillary cooling fan connector pre installed if overheating would become an issue. To me it would seem like this would work, and we would have a viable and comparitively cheap waterproof brushless system. Just throwing this out there. I may have overlooked something, but just give your input.
    'Brushless...RCs Magnacharger'

RC Champion
    The only reason I won't consider that for 1/8 scale is that the VXL ESC can only handle 3s lipo so power is very limited.
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL
    they have to share for now

RC poster
    hey, had the same idea. 200 Ampere current would handle enough power for me.
    But did some one ever try the VXL ESC with 16,8V.
    I wont fry mine but shurly someone out there did already.

RC Champion
    I know the VXL is rated for 200amps but I don't think it will even turn on with more than 3s lipo. If it would I'm sure it would thermal immediately.
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL

RC Racer
    So when you say it only will take 3s lipo, are you running 4s batteries? Or do two 2s batteries wired into one speed control quailify as a 4s battery? You dont necessarily need lipo battiers to run brushless do you? I mean brushless motors are more efficient, they shouldnt need more power to run. Right?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SubieFan
    So when you say it only will take 3s lipo, are you running 4s batteries? Or do two 2s batteries wired into one speed control quailify as a 4s battery? You dont necessarily need lipo battiers to run brushless do you? I mean brushless motors are more efficient, they shouldnt need more power to run. Right?
    two 2s wired in series will equal 4s ..

you wouldn't need lipo's for a esc like that .but a MMM , tekin RX8 will need lipo's B/c of there amp draw..

yes brushless is more efficient for many reason's one being they don't burn power off as heat ..but they still need all that power and need the batteries to be able to supply it ..but a smaller brushless system like the VXL Nimh's can handle no problem
    Last edited by Notin_but_aRevo; 12-15-2009 at 07:12 PM.
    I know you wish you bought a tekin RX8

RC Champion
    You kind of lost me? The VXL says it will not operate with more than 11.1 volts. Yes you can use nihm batteries but due to cell voltage variation the max voltage with a nihm battery the VXL can handle is a 9cell 10.8vbattery. No brushless does not require lipo or life batteries but nihms will give shorter run times, more heat, less battery life span, and way less punch and almost a cogging affect when giving full throttle since they can't put out the bursts of power.
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL

RC Racer
    Ok. Makes sense. Thanks for the help.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RByers8252
    You kind of lost me? The VXL says it will not operate with more than 11.1 volts. Yes you can use nihm batteries but due to cell voltage variation the max voltage with a nihm battery the VXL can handle is a 9cell 10.8vbattery.
    people run esc all the time on higher voltages ..most of the time to make it work you just need to use an external bec..B/c the internal bec can only handle 3s..but i personally have not hear of anyone trying this with the VXL ..i have seen it done to the mamba max all the time so people can run 4s and use it in a MT

RC Racer
    FYI...u can make a 1/8th system waterproof by using liquid electrical tape. In fact, there are videos on the net showing a MMM running completely summerged in water after applying liquid tape. Brushless motors are not the problem, in fact they can be run in water just as brushed.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by wfdfiremedic
    FYI...u can make a 1/8th system waterproof by using liquid electrical tape. In fact, there are videos on the net showing a MMM running completely summerged in water after applying liquid tape. Brushless motors are not the problem, in fact they can be run in water just as brushed.
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=500430check out this its been discussed and is an option but with the down side of loosing your warranty ..and if your using the MMM a warranty is important

RC Champion
    Main problem is brushless in a Summit HAS to be sensored
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RByers8252
    Main problem is brushless in a Summit HAS to be sensored
    very true to maintain the crawler ability it would need to be sensored or dual drive like the mamba max pro or tekin rx8 use.(for the people that didn't get my dual drive statement) in slow speed's its sensored and sensorless for high speed's

RC Qualifier
    That's not true. I have the MMM in mine and I take it into the rocks all the time.

The Summit's deep 1st gear allows a sensorless system to crawl quite well. Sensored would certainly make for a much quieter system with a tad more control, but it's definitely not required.

RC Qualifier
    Hi ,Mtronics claim to make a 1/8th waterproof esc+motor!

RC Champion
    Mtroniks does make waterproof 1/8 scale brushless escs but they are hard to come by in the US and will run upwards of $200 so I didn't mention it. Looks like they have nice systems though.
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL

RC Qualifier
    VXL esc is rated 200 amp but I don't think it could hadle so much current without overheating. Sure there is a nice fan you can had on it (wich is not waterproof). My esc deosn't over heat at all with vxl motor outiside even when it's 30 degree celcius in summer. So I think you could easily throw a tekin motor on it with a fan you would be okay. Sure you would eat fan but with some electrical lubrifiant they would last longer and a 30x30x7mm fan remplacement on ebay are around 3-5$.

The VXL esc accept sensored motor but will not run more than 3S because it has an overload protection wich won't allow the esc to turn off when the voltage is higher than 12,6-12,8volt. Even sometime with a really good 9 cell nihm freshly charger it will not turnoff until you wait a few minute to let the voltage drop.

I don't know what Kv motor Tekin make but if you could find a motor that is around 2600-2800 Kv it could probably run with the VXL-3s esc. That is something to try.
    No pain! No Gain!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc-Roux
    VXL esc is rated 200 amp but I don't think it could hadle so much current without overheating. Sure there is a nice fan you can had on it (wich is not waterproof). My esc deosn't over heat at all with vxl motor outiside even when it's 30 degree celcius in summer. So I think you could easily throw a tekin motor on it with a fan you would be okay. Sure you would eat fan but with some electrical lubrifiant they would last longer and a 30x30x7mm fan remplacement on ebay are around 3-5$.

The VXL esc accept sensored motor but will not run more than 3S because it has an overload protection wich won't allow the esc to turn off when the voltage is higher than 12,6-12,8volt. Even sometime with a really good 9 cell nihm freshly charger it will not turnoff until you wait a few minute to let the voltage drop.

I don't know what Kv motor Tekin make but if you could find a motor that is around 2600-2800 Kv it could probably run with the VXL-3s esc. That is something to try.
    Thanks for the input. I went ahead and cured my brushless urge by ordering a mini e revo. Just waiting for it to arrive from towerhobbies.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SubieFan
    Thanks for the input. I went ahead and cured my brushless urge by ordering a mini e revo. Just waiting for it to arrive from towerhobbies.
    good choice that is my solution this year till traxxas make's a 1/8th scale waterproof esc ...HINT HINT