Thread: How many amps??

RC poster

How many amps??

How many amps does the 775 on the Summit draw?

RC Qualifier
    It really depends on how you are driving it, and what gearing you're using.
    I would guess around 10-15A average, with bursts around 40-50 maybe (the ESC itself is rated 30A continuous duty).

RC Qualifier
    I would think it's more than that. 10-15 is awful low. I would have guessed around 40. I haven't put a watt meter on this yet, but I have been wondering this myself. It does seem to be a bit hungry on amps.

RC Qualifier
    40 is in excess of what the ESC is rated for.

I figured the average runtime is 20-30 minutes on a 5000mAh battery, which averages out to 10-15A (actually 10-16.6666666666666666666~ amps).

If your runtimes are longer, then it's even less current drawn.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4x4

I figured the average runtime is 20-30 minutes on a 5000mAh battery, which averages out to 10-15A (actually 10-16.6666666666666666666~ amps).

I like this analysis, its good science =)

RC Qualifier
    I understand that, but I don't get near those runtimes when I'm at the track. 4800 gives me about 10 minutes.

RC Enthusiast
    the calculations give AVERAGE amp draw only. you need a data logger to get peak amp draw.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FastStang
    I understand that, but I don't get near those runtimes when I'm at the track. 4800 gives me about 10 minutes.
    Well... I DID say in my first post here:

It really depends on how you are driving it, and what gearing you're using.
    10 minutes out of a 4800 battery means an average of 28.8 amps (which tells me you like to run it pretty hard).

RC Champion

The problem with this is its average. Chances are, as soon as you're in an open area, you're gonna floor it. A floored Titan will pull more than 16A. And when you're off the throttle in a turn or something, it will draw next to nothing for amperage.

RC Competitor
    Dont forget that Nimh cells rarely deliver the stated capacity. Under load you'll be lucky to get 70% of the stated maximum charge out of it.

Does your charger tell you how many mah it has delivered?

Subtracting for heat losses on charge and under load and your down a fair chunk.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dude
    The problem with this is its average. Chances are, as soon as you're in an open area, you're gonna floor it. A floored Titan will pull more than 16A. And when you're off the throttle in a turn or something, it will draw next to nothing for amperage.
    This is very true, but like Jesse J mentioned, a data logger (such as an Eagle Tree system) is needed to measure peak draw accurately. I still feel 50A is a good guesstimate on a stock system running on NiMH however.

RC Enthusiast
    If I can get mine working again I will check, but with the stock ESC and two leads..... I don't know if it will record the total draw. Anybody know how to trick it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by icucmerc
    How many amps does the 775 on the Summit draw?
    I looked up the data from a speed run performed on a stock Summit last summer. The truck was powered by two, 9000mAh/28C LiPo's. Max load recorded on the BEC side was 45.62-Amps.

RC Enthusiast
    Do you think that since batteries are in series the draw should be (pretty much) the same and therefore a good measure of your max load on either side? Hadn't thought about it, but seems to make sense.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J
    Do you think that since batteries are in series the draw should be (pretty much) the same and therefore a good measure of your max load on either side? Hadn't thought about it, but seems to make sense.
    Yes, by definition of a series circuit.