RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar

advice on lipo batt. and charger

Would this be a good lipo charger? I'm thi nking about making the lipo leap, but wanna find a good lipo charger first and then save up for lipo batteries. I don't want a charger I have to buy a power supply for and I'd also like a charger that is also a balancer.

Also what are some good lipo batteries to run in a stock vxl merv?
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Qualifier
    Thunder AC-6 charger with balancing @ 50 bucks at http://www.xheli.com/thac6bachwac.html Try using the promo code TAKEFIVE and it drops a few bucks off your total cost if they still honor it.. I have two and they work well for me. The can charge AC or DC without buying an external adaptor like some require. It will charge at 5.0 amp nimh, lipo up to 6s, nicad, and Lead Acid.

I have 8 of these and used them all summer and have held up well. They have a two pack combo deal at @ 43.00 here

As for battery types, I have 4 3s Rhino 3s 1550 fit tight (blocks air flow) and need you to solder the Traxxas plug on them. I prefer the ACE 2s 20c 1800s in parallel for more run time. They come with the Traxxas plugs on them and the tap adaptor. Nice heavy 14 gauge wiring to the plug. I don't use the 3s but will when the Slash 1/10 scale comes out in a few more weeks:-)
    BL Revo, eRevo, MERV x 3 and still counting.

RC Qualifier
    I'd go 2s and run parallel.

2s, I don't know much about lipo batteries, what voltage is that? Would it be faster than 2 of the stock nimh batteries? cdassner, you said they have a two pack combo deal, is that on 2 lipo packs, and which packs? In addition to that charger and a set of battery packs, I would also need to get an lvc, right?

I'm fairly happy with the speed of the stock batt.s in series, but of course would love to go a little faster, but really like the idea of having a lighter vehicle with more runtime.

RC Qualifier
    The LVC is already built into the Revo ESC so I don't know of a reason why you would need an LVC. The voltage of a LiPo is 7.2v for a 2s and 11.1 for a 3s. They have combo deals for nimh and lipo. I now use LiPo's except when it is really cold then I use nimh. The nimh is series i think would be (supposed to be) faster than 2s lipo as far as top speed. What I have found is that the lipo's have a lot more punch. Some on this forum use 3s lipo and set the ESC in nimh mode which would then turn off your LVC and run the risk of running the lopo's below 3.0 per cell which can damage them. I have run 3s 20c Rhino's and it has not seen much different than the 2s 20c 1800 IMO and did not fit as well.
    Last edited by cdassner; 11-26-2009 at 07:13 AM.

So if I'm wanting comparable speed to the dual nimh packs I should probably go with a 3s. What about 2 2s packs in series? I already have plenty of punch with the nimh, it'll flip over backward when I nail it off the line, and sometimes when I nail it running less than maybe 25 mph, so more punch would just be excess. A lighter vehicle and more runtime would be the largest gains I believe. Why would anyone want to run 3s and not have the esc in lipo mode with the lvc active? Also as to the 3s I don't mind doing a little minor dremel work to make them fit better. Thanks for your help!

I see that the 2s packs are 7.4 volts, which means that 2 in series are 14.8 volts, would that be too much voltage? Do the lipo packs with only 1200 mah still have decent runtime? Seems to me a 1200 mah lipo pack would last no longer than a 1200 mah nimh pack, but the higher capacity packs on here ( http://www.xheli.com/74v.html )
    are only 15c.

RC Champion
    don't bother with the 1200 packs, the ***** 2200s are cheaper and a better battery.

lipos should not be run in a series, 2s or 3s. they can however be run in parallel doubling your run time. 2x 2200s get about 40 minutes of run time in parallel.

another lipo thread

So if I want 14.8v I would have to go with 4s, which would not fit. Thanks Core.

Any idea whether this
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...0C_Lipoly_Pack
    battery would fit? I notice it gives pack dimensions in mm, anyone know what dimensions will fit so I know what to look for in searching for packs that fit?

Also why can lipos not be run in series?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner
    Any idea whether this
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...0C_Lipoly_Pack
    battery would fit? I notice it gives pack dimensions in mm, anyone know what dimensions will fit so I know what to look for in searching for packs that fit?

Also why can lipos not be run in series?
    off the top of my head it looks too big. 3s are larger packs than 2s batteries. i think the 1600 3s are the largest batteries that fit. for reference use the dimensions of the 2200 2s ***** packs, they fit just about right in the battery box.

lipo batteries in series output too much voltage to the speed controller, there are ways around this, but it is not recommended.

Alright, so in essence 14.8 volts is just too many for the truck, not neccesarily that you can't run lipo in series. After I made that post about the battery pack being too large or not, I noticed the dimensions on the 2s packs you left a link to in the other lipo thread, and am searching for packs with similar dimensions. Thanks for your help.

Also, are the ******* and rhino packs much account? I searched on here some for threads about them, and most threads I found where people had actually run them they seemed pleased. I do nothing but bash, so it won't take as much to please me as a hardcore racer.

RC Champion
    ******* and rhino packs are fine. i think the ***** flight max are the best bang for the buck which is why they seem to be the most popular.

i also have a set of smc 2200 2s 28c batteries and i can tell the difference, and prefer the extra punch they give. if money is not an object possibly look into those or.. *gasp* max amps batteries since they're "waterproof" and have an extended warranty.

I'm thinking of getting two of these.

http://*********.com/*********/store...(DE_Warehouse)

The dimensions appear to be within range, and 2000 mah should get me around 30 min of runtime should it not? A 25c pack should yield a little more punch than a 20 c shouldn't it?

I'll check out maxamps and smc

I used to drop 130 bucks a pair for 7-cell packs on my e-maxx, used to be my philosophy to spend all I could on batt.s. Then again it took spending all you could on batt.s then to reach 45 mph and have good punch too.

Got a link to smc? Lol, my wife is gonna kill me with you guys talking me into spending all this money!! Just spend a few grand on a 1:1 chevy with 12 in lift 40 in superswampers a built 350 lockers etc. and a trailer to haul it, she won't be happy about more on my "toys"
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 11-26-2009 at 10:33 AM.

RC Champion
    i don't have or run any 3s batteries, i just don't need that kind of power to my merv. hang on for someone who runs 3s, that battery looks a bit low in capacity, maybe someone can link you a better one.

Okay, but if I decide to go with that battery, I would go with two in parallel, but I'm looking at some of the ***** batt.s right now. They have a 1300 mah 3s which I think would fit.

This
    http://*********.com/*********/store...(DE_Warehouse)

and this

http://*********.com/*********/store...00mAh_3S1P_25C

are my biggest contenders right now.
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 11-26-2009 at 10:49 AM.

RC Racer
    http://*********.com/*********/store...idProduct=6540

This seems to be The One ********* battery most people like. I got 4. I run them in parallel....

That means I am running 7.4 volts (nominal, charged batteries are higher in voltage. I think its 8.4V charged). 7.4 volts though at 2200+2200= 4400 MAH.
    Not sure what the stock pack is(NiMh) Maybe one = 1200mah?

In this configuration I get Long run times...40 minutes if I remember correctly?

I also ran 3s for a while, 11.1 volts...3s is alot of fun, but you need to be a precise 'throttler' since it wants to flip over, even when your cruising at 50% throttle and peg it!
    On 3s the car would do a complete backflip onto its wheels from a dead stop when I pegged the throttle!.

A friend got one of these cars with 2 stock packs in series and it is bleeping nuts! He also has shattered One rim, and snapped the chassis in half! I am not aware of why you cannot run two 2s Lipo in series....

So after all that I recommend the battery I have posted, and someone help me here, what is the 3s ***** that fits??

Order 4 of these, and maybe 2 3s batteries and you will be Set.
    The 2200's can be charged at twice the rate amperage, ie 4.4 amps, so they fill up in under 30 minutes...!

Hope this has helped.
    Happy Thanksgiving
    Tony

RC Racer
    From this thread :
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...ght=*****+lipo

These two 3s batteries are recommended :

http://www.*********.com/*********/s...00mAh_3S1P_20C

http://www.*********.com/*********/s...0mAh_3S1P_20C_

When I got my car it had 3s ***** LiPo, 1600 mah. But the covering wasnt like those. And they Just fit in the compartment. Maybe get those 1500, two in parallel!!!!!!!

IF you order from *********, let me know. I would like to tag on to your order.
    Pm sent

Tony

I'll still have my stock nimh batt.s, so when I feel like backing off the power some I'll run them, but I believe 2s would be less power than 14 nimh cells, so I do believe 3s is what I'd like to go with. Yes I think the stock packs are 1200 mah a piece.

I guess the reason he's saying two 2s in series is not possible is because that would be too much voltage. 2 stock packs in series are 14.4 volts, and 2 2s packs in series would be 14.8 volts, but maybe the .4 volt would be enough of a difference.

Lol, I think I'm gonna do it backward. Get 2 3s for now for the extra power, then later get several higher capacity 2s for extreme runtime.

Also searching for a fan for my esc and maybe a heatsink for the motor. I had a 12v cpu fan wired to receive the series voltage of the stock batteries, but this all just took up too much space under the body, and it was hard to mount the esc somwhere it would do any good and stay put.

I had some trouble with my esc thermaling a time or two with stock packs in series. Hope to drop a pinion tooth and add a fan and heatsink to take care of that.

I think I'll probably go with the first pack in justanotherguy's thread. The only thing holding me back is I keep wanting to go with 30c, so the largest question is, much difference between 20c and 30c? And is it enough to matter in such a light truck which already performs so fast with nimh batteries?

RC Racer
    Ive read on here somewhere that 20c is plenty for our trucks.
    IIRC...?
    Anyway those packs will be great, I even use them in my Son's RC18MT. ONE 2200 pack runs that thing darn near an hour!
    Tony

Would this

http://www.*********.com/*********/s...rger_1-6_Cells

be a bad charger? I know sometimes you get quat you pay for, but as long as it works well I don't need a lot of fancy stuff. I'd also need a power supply for it, right? Would the 9.99 one at the bottom of the page work?

RC Racer
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idProduct=7028

The accucel seems to get alot of recommendations...

That requires a power supply also, correct? If so I think I'd be better off to go with the charger in cdassners post above (2nd in this thread). Seems to be a good charger with many features for its price, and doesn't need a power supply.

So, the accucel also require a power supply, or can I plug it into the wall? Great price if it doesn't require a power supply.

Is an imax b6 a good charger?
    They have some realllly cheap on ebay, and some for not so cheap, also have an ac adapter, and with this

http://cgi.ebay.com/11-1v-7-4v-14-8v...item3efa871741

one you could get charger and ac adapter shipped for about 30 bucks, but then you'd have to get adapters because all it has is the tamiya style plugs on it.
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 11-26-2009 at 08:15 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I have four 3s 20c 1550 Rhino's and they fit but are snug. Not enuf room for airflow around the cell. I also have run eight ACE 2s 20c 1800's and find they fit perfect and i personally do not see much change in speed but others like the 3s lipo set up. This is where I buy mine and they have a 2 battery combo for @ 43 bucks and also sell high quality parallel cables. Super fast every time I order form them. Good luck.
    http://www.diyminituner.com/servlet/...0C-7.4v/Detail

RC Qualifier
    Do you have any heat problems with the 3s since they're a snug fit?
    Slash 2WD
    Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    i have the ******* accucel-6 charger and its a good unit, you will need a power supply.

RC Qualifier
    Doxiedad,
    I do have heat problems w/them in parallel but not on a single cell. Temps ran in the 210 degree's using 3s 20c 1550 Rhino's.