Thread: 4X4 slash rally

RC Champion

4X4 slash rally

I borrowed this picture from maccasvanquish in his thread carbon fiber, low COG, subaru rally slash!

I am a big WRC rally fan. I seen this thread a while back and wanted a electric rally car for myself. I had considered getting kyosho inferno GT onroad car and converting it into rally car. With talks with Mike at RC monster it was just too expensive and not worth it. (custom mount, kyosho center diff/ 1/8 BL and lipo to push the heavy brick). I was going to follow maccasvanquish's lead and convert my slash but i could bring to bare a 2wd rally car.

The slash 4x4 will make this work alot easier. The body seems to be a direct for the slash 2wd so it should carry over easy. Wrap it in either traxxas 2.8" or proline 30 series tires and I think it would look the part.
    Last edited by OCD RC; 10-20-2009 at 05:48 AM.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Qualifier
    It is a direct fit, this is mine

but you will have an issue with ground clearance. The body is only about 1/2 an inch off the ground, and the bumper in the front/back are a bit of a way from the wheels so any jumps/ect will scrape. You can lift the body a bit, but then it starts to look funny after about 3/4" from the ground.

I purely run mine on the street, it would be useless on anything off-road

The body shell also flaps around quite a bit. To fix that, i mounted foam blocks (I actually used thoes foam letters you get from craft stores) to the front/rear/nurf bars and that seemed to do the trick real well, so you will need to figure out something that works for you.

To give you an idea of just how low the body is.. I has to put some fule line on the shock shafts in order to stop the car from body rolling too far on a hard turn, otherwise it would scrape the pavement.

Wouldn't make a good off-road rally car IMO

if you do go ahead with it, get someone to paint the shell.. DONT use thier decal sheet.. thier stickers SUCK. They dont stick worth a darn.
    Last edited by Telnets; 10-20-2009 at 08:02 AM.

RC Racer
    Outstanding!!!!
    Slash 4x4 PE
    Summit

RC Champion
    I have found a great scale looking 2.2 tire.

Proline rear buggy dirt hawg I

Does anyone know if a standard 2.2 rim will work with the C-hub suspesnion on the Slash 4x4? If not they could always stretch on a 2.8 rim.
    Last edited by OCD RC; 10-20-2009 at 09:16 AM.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Racer
    Not sure about it fitting the Slash C-hubs, but the HPI RS4 Super Nitro Wheels will fit those Tires Perfectly, and they use a 12mm hex. They work real well on the 1/16th E-Revo VXL!
    Savage-Modified!, E-Revo VXL, Slash 2wd, Mini-T

RC Qualifier
    I wouldn't use the dirt hawgs they wear very quickly. I had them and the were worn out in 3 days. About a month ago I bought roadrage tires for my slash I drive them hard almost ever day an they are just starting to show wear.
    XO-1, E-Revo Dual 700-HO's, Slash 4x4, AX-10

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Telnets
    Say where did you get that body?

RC Racer
    It's a 1/8th Kyosho inferno GT body.
    Savage-Modified!, E-Revo VXL, Slash 2wd, Mini-T

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I put the rear 2.2 dirt hawgs on my bandit at all four corners and they wore out in 5 packs. Even the fronts show wear. The 2.2 tires will be out of scale with the 1/8th scale body. Get some 30 series and road hawgs. The dirt hawgs are for hard packed dirt.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Im using anacondas, they seem to be doin pretty good

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by OCD RC
    I have found a great scale looking 2.2 tire.

Proline rear buggy dirt hawg I

Does anyone know if a standard 2.2 rim will work with the C-hub suspesnion on the Slash 4x4? If not they could always stretch on a 2.8 rim.
    hey i have that on my bandit. might be 2 small for 4x4 slash tho. yes its a great tire

RC Racer

dirt hawg I's

These are excellent tires for on road. Proline strengthened these tires so that they won't balloon as much. the old style did alright on 8cell vxl but when I went 3s they ballooned so bad the gorilla tape popped in one of the tires at speed causing a rather nasty crash. the new style does much better. The only problem with the hpi wheel is the chrome peels off so I have to keep re-glueing so... next set will be the greys.

http://wickslawns.com/Documents/IMAG0052.jpg

Image changed to link due to size. Please keep all images to 640x480 or less. -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-25-2009 at 12:34 AM.

RC Racer
    I have turned an old 4-Tec into a rally car with a vxl... It's insane to say the least. If traxxas were to make a 4-Tec for the purpose of rally (you know have it factory designed, not consumer modified) it would be all that much cooler, by the way there is a new forum just for asking for a new 4-tec.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

but you will have an issue with ground clearance. The body is only about 1/2 an inch off the ground, and the bumper in the front/back are a bit of a way from the wheels so any jumps/ect will scrape. You can lift the body a bit, but then it starts to look funny after about 3/4" from the ground.

I purely run mine on the street, it would be useless on anything off-road

The body shell also flaps around quite a bit. To fix that, i mounted foam blocks (I actually used thoes foam letters you get from craft stores) to the front/rear/nurf bars and that seemed to do the trick real well, so you will need to figure out something that works for you.

To give you an idea of just how low the body is.. I has to put some fule line on the shock shafts in order to stop the car from body rolling too far on a hard turn, otherwise it would scrape the pavement.

Wouldn't make a good off-road rally car IMO

if you do go ahead with it, get someone to paint the shell.. DONT use thier decal sheet.. thier stickers SUCK. They dont stick worth a darn.
    hmmm?
    that does not look like a 4x Slash...
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Champion
    its not. he never said it was. i think he was just showing the body,
    Wide Rustler | "Bulldog" Backslash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Im using anacondas, they seem to be doin pretty good

What anacondas are you usins?
    Paul
    Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by brushlessbandit
    hey i have that on my bandit. might be 2 small for 4x4 slash tho. yes its a great tire
    I agree. They may look scale but are way too small.

Those rally bodies on there look sick though

2.2" wheel is NOT fit the 4x4 slash front! only 2.2/3.0 or 2.8 will.
    Slash PE & Ja-two.

RC Racer
    I just picked up an old 1/8 citreon Xsara body from my LHS for 5$, (so cool he wanted to move it and it had cobwebs in it) but I want to know what brand it is. No indication of the manufacturer, I plan to put it on my 4x4 amd lower the suspension but I would just like to know what brand it is.

will post picks soon.
    Cars can fly too!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tec-Rally
    I just picked up an old 1/8 citreon Xsara body from my LHS for 5$, (so cool he wanted to move it and it had cobwebs in it) but I want to know what brand it is. No indication of the manufacturer, I plan to put it on my 4x4 amd lower the suspension but I would just like to know what brand it is.

will post picks soon.
    post a pic! I'd like to see. I'm thinking of going this route when mine comes in.

RC Racer
    I am still thinking about the color scheme so I can show how the body fits clear when I get it all trimed tomarrow.

I'm still stoked that it only cost $5!! I though it was priced wrong!
    Cars can fly too!

RC Qualifier
    WRX looks Sweet!
    MMM 2200kv 4x4 Slash
    1/10 Rally
    1/16 Slash

RC Qualifier
    Are those body's tough?

They are pretty spendy! (Painted WRX at least $85.00 plus shipping)
    Break it, so you can upgrade it!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    this makes me want to do the same thing!
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Racer
    the bumpers really get in the way but I would like to have some kind bumpers on it still. Any ideas?
    Cars can fly too!

RC Racer
    I'm going to buy a 4x4 platinum so I won't feel so bad modifying my 4x4 to a rally car... Basically I'll be messing around with the bumpers and suspension etc to get a rally car feel, maybe make a piece of lexan connecting the two lowest parts or the car so the body wont get messed up. Both me and my brother have decided that losi strikes are complete garbage and I am stripping it to see what I can salvage, the shocks are much smaller therefore less ground clearance more rally look. I'll be posting pic's of what I have to work with.
    Cars can fly too!

RC Racer

Rough Rough project start

This Is where my project starts, with my $5 Citroen Xsara body.

Get brainstorming people I need IDEAS!
    Cars can fly too!

RC Champion
    looking good! i have one of those bodies for my tt-01. great style how about some different tires and rims? keep them sc for the width, but something closer to the rally style...? and if you're looking for a way to mount the body, use those 4-tec body posts.
    Wide Rustler | "Bulldog" Backslash 4x4

RC Racer
    Yeah I already have the posts and everything needed, I am just waiting until I have a little more free time to start the body project. And I'm waiting until I get a P/E so I can feel less guilty for dremmeling off the bumpers... I'll probably be looking at super nitro wheels but definatly not the HPI tires... I bought the for 1/10 scale and they are already wearing down in dirt..
    Cars can fly too!

RC Qualifier
    can you post some bigger pictures?