Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

I have another Ultimate Edition!!!!

A gentleman local to me told me that he had bought Slash Ultimate Edition. He told me he went a little crazy playing with all of the adjustments and the truck was now very hard to drive. He had me come and look at what he had. It is a newer Ultimate Edition. He was correct! It was impossible to get the truck to drive in a straight line. He then told me to give him $40.00 and take it away from him! That was not a problem!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    so what up ended being the problem?

thats a steal at that price, I would of done the same thing

All the camber and caster links were off. The steering servo arm was in the wrong place one shock spring was all the way tightened and the other three all the way loose. The alignment was severely toed in. I am almost done getting it the way I like my trucks.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Smokin' deal!

WOW! Amazing deal.
    RC blog:
    http://razorrc.tumblr.com/archive

Awesome deal! I would feel guilty for taking it.
    I would fix it and try to give it back...

If I couldn't find him, then it's all mine!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    Omg.........

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Awesome deal! I would feel guilty for taking it.
    I would fix it and try to give it back...

If I couldn't find him, then it's all mine!
    Maybe you have a point. That would be the honorable thing to do. I'm trying to get the truck to the way I always set mine up. It will be a runner when I am done with it

Nice deal! Make sure to post pics on any upgrades!
    "Gone racing"

I may try and keep this truck bone stock. Maybe put the obligatory fans on the motor and esc. Other than that stock for now

RC Champion
    Lucky dog, I'm a lucky dog. Good for you man.
    just a basher

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    sweet.... a factory new painted body is $40 from a chop shop
    TRUMP 16!

RC Qualifier
    What a come up!!
    IG: @original.ofcrplz
    YouTube: Miltdoggie

If anyone deserves it you do my friend.
    While Squeegie has a point the gentleman offered it to you for $40, its not like you were trying to low ball the guy on a sale.
    I have no doubt if he ask for your assistants you'd have taken care of the truck for him and asked for nothing but friendship in return.
    You've helped so many, good comes back to those who are good.
    I dont think it could have happened to a finer man.
    Best of luck.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    Wow I paid a ton more than that for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    While Squeegie has a point the gentleman offered it to you for $40, its not like you were trying to low ball the guy on a sale.
    I have no doubt if he ask for your assistants you'd have taken care of the truck for him and asked for nothing but friendship in return.
    Best of luck.
    Thanks you very much! I truly appreciate your kindness! I like to think we are all here to help one another.

Yeah, I couldn't do that to someone. This hobby lives and dies a lot of the time on the kindness that experts offer the newbies who are ready to throw the towel in. There's like no way you couldn't fix it and probably knew it would be an easy fix just by looking at it. I know you pride yourself on being the "go to" guy around here for help, but I don't know if this is anything that deserves anything more than a "duuuuuude...c'mon." You could have at the very least told him how to fix it and made him an offer if he just wanted to walk away. I can get more than that for JUST selling the tires on just about any forum, know what i mean?
    "It's just RC, not rocket appliances"-Ricky

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Best of luck.
    Karma.
    What goes around comes around!

RC Qualifier
    Well said Squeegie, what goes around comes around. Nice deal El Sob. I'll bet at some point in the future there will be a 2400 in it. Lol.

RC poster
    Nice deal! Did you run it after you did your magic to it? Maybe take the guy with you when you drive it and let him decide if he still doesnt want it anymore. Niceeee
    Last edited by rudyk; 10-11-2016 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davew View Post
    Well said Squeegie, what goes around comes around. Nice deal El Sob. I'll bet at some point in the future there will be a 2400 in it. Lol.
    At this point I am planning on keeping it bone stock. That being said, I already have an El Sob special motor system ready to throw in it

Rudyk, I am currently working on it. I took her for her first run yesterday and It was still a bit rough. I did some more tuning last night and she is almost there! I have about four hours into straightening it out so far.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    At this point I am planning on keeping it bone stock. That being said, I already have an El Sob special motor system ready to throw in it

Rudyk, I am currently working on it. I took her for her first run yesterday and It was still a bit rough. I did some more tuning last night and she is almost there! I have about four hours into straightening it out so far.
    Man! Four hours in straightn' it out. Must have been waayyy off if you do it in 4 hours. It will take me forever I guess lol!

Mamba !

Quote Originally Posted by rudyk View Post
    Man! Four hours in straightn' it out. Must have been waayyy off if you do it in 4 hours. It will take me forever I guess lol!

Mamba !
    It has been an interesting journey. I'm almost done. I have never had a truck that was this out of sorts. It would probably take you a little bit more time than me

RC Racer
    Great find! Same as my truck. Sounds like the guy just wasn't into the the hobby and wanted to wash his hands of it, he surely knew that 40 was a lot less than its real worth.
    Question: did you just start changing things or did you reset everything to factory spec and tune from there?

Quote Originally Posted by oldscool View Post
    Great find! Same as my truck. Sounds like the guy just wasn't into the the hobby and wanted to wash his hands of it, he surely knew that 40 was a lot less than its real worth.
    Question: did you just start changing things or did you reset everything to factory spec and tune from there?
    I just went from where it was to where I wanted it to be. I know how I like all of my trucks to perform. I should probably write it down one day.

As a small update, I believe that I almost have the truck setup to where I want it. I took it out yesterday and had a great run! Since this is going to be a pavement only truck, I took it to a parking lot that had a rough surface. It did extremely well! It never once flipped over, it tracked pretty straight, I could ease into full throttle without it pitching sideways or going perfectly straight ahead. The one thing that I have noticed is that both differentials are leaking. I'm not worried as I have a spare pair of XO-1 differentials that I built a couple of years ago. So far I am quite pleased with how this Ultimate Edition is coming along

RC Enthusiast
    Congratulations el sob!!!! Sounds like a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Slashmaxxsummit View Post
    Congratulations el sob!!!! Sounds like a great deal.
    Thank you my friend! I have just about finished sorting it out. It has been performing excellently. I will have to soon take a running video of it.

I believe that I have the $40.00 Ultimate Edition dialed in! Almost every morning I go for a walk. I almost always take an Ultimate Edition with me. The new truck is a joy to run. In its basically stock form I have been enjoying the way that it corners at high speed on pavement and I have not had it flip over yet. I will soon start building an XO-1 differential for the rear but for now I am really happy with the new Ultimate Edition

My $40.00 Ultimate Edition is a blast! I have it goo s and dialed in now. I added a King Headz motor mount to it. I will eventually put XO-1 differentials in it. I blew a bearing in the motor. I put a brand new motor I had in it which is why I put the King Headz motor mount on it. Had to make sure I did the El Sob bearing mod! The old motor is fine, I need another motor bearings to put in it. There was no damage to the can or rotor. I put an Integy heatsink with a fan on the motor. The cheap Integy aluminum cracked and the heatsink broke in half! I screwed the fan into place and it held together. I always put loctite on the heatsink to help wick the heat from the motor. This should also help hold the piece of crap together.
    Last edited by El Sob; 11-02-2016 at 02:35 AM.

I messed with the alignment the other day. At first I was kicking myself in the tail for doing it. After awhile I went back to the way I always do my alignments. The process always drives me crazy but this time it came out almost perfect! She goes in a straight line without any hands on the transmitter! I am happy with it

RC Champion
    Hi El Sob, great to hear that your new truck is all dialed in. Your growing stable of Slashes reminds me of my ever-expanding RC hobby. Between 7 planes and 5 Traxxas RC trucks, it seems like I'm constantly fixing something! I will say that I'd rather epoxy a wing back together than rebuild a diff. Enjoy that truck my friend!

RC Racer
    I sure do wish you would do a tutorial on how you do your suspension and alignment. That would help a bunch of us.

I have been thinking about your comment for a few days now. First I need to write down exactly what I do to my trucks. Then I would have to find a way to describe it to everyone. Hmmmmm

RC blog:

RC Racer
    Thanks. That is great info. But assume that someone like me who is a total Noob to RC is wanting to set up their car. Terms like EPA and dual rate don't mean much. Or where they are on the Hand set. In 6 months I will understand it so much better. I have a ton of full size race car knowledge but I am not sure it all transfers to RC car dynamics. The electronics are still a mystery to me. I just shattered my Ultimates chassis yesterday. It was suddenly uncontrollable. So this would be a great time for a tutorial.

These are great resources:

Touring Cars:
    http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...hp?prod_id=262
    Once there, click on the "Hudy Set-up Book" to download.

Off-Road Cars:
    http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...68&kategoria=0
    Once there, click on the "Hudy Off-road Set-up Book" to download.

RC Racer
    That was a cool read. I guess I am asking it wrong.

I'll try again. Does my experience setting up full size race cars transfer to RC? I mean why do the cars run so much rear toe?

I can figure out the camber curves and such. I can also set shock bounce and rebounds. I think I am pretty much asking about the toe settings.

I have never built a 4wd road race car. Even the independent rear road cars did not have 4 or 5 degrees of toe. If i bring it back to zero or maybe a slight bit of toe in, is there a reason for it being so high?

I think I want to baseline it all at 0 in the rear and then tweak from there. The front with a bit of toe in. I am wondering if things flex under power so much that is why things are set the way they are or is it just for dirt settings?

Thanks for answering some really basic questions. I have never built a race car with plastic chassis parts.

I don't know what full scale off-road cars use for toe, but RC off-road cars need a decent amount of toe (2.5-3 degrees) because of the loose dirt conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner1 View Post
    Thanks. That is great info. But assume that someone like me who is a total Noob to RC is wanting to set up their car. Terms like EPA and dual rate don't mean much. Or where they are on the Hand set. In 6 months I will understand it so much better. I have a ton of full size race car knowledge but I am not sure it all transfers to RC car dynamics. The electronics are still a mystery to me. I just shattered my Ultimates chassis yesterday. It was suddenly uncontrollable. So this would be a great time for a tutorial.
    Hmm, maybe there is a Youtube video somewhere or you can google these definitions. It's hard for me to start from scratch defining terms and such, my blog assumes the readers have a good amount RC experience. Even most people with a lot of RC experience set their steering wrong, in my opinion.
    RC blog:

RC Racer
    I think I can understand the toe for dirt. That makes sense to self center. But it kills top speed due to tire contact patch scrubbing. Also there is camber thrust issues. I will have to do some measuring to see just how much the suspension flexes during a run. I want to find some rear lowers that will let me take a bunch of toe out. Otherwise I will be modifying some billet parts. This is fun just getting back into some speed stuff and I am glad i found a place where guys share knowledge.