Thread: 32p conversion

RC poster

32p conversion

I know some one has done it, what do I need to convert my 48p slash to a 32p
    In a twelve step rc program, I'm up to six

There's more than one way to do it but the easiest and cheapest way is with a Jato spur as it fits the stock slipper clutch.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKLZ7&P=ML

Combine it with a suitably sized 32P pinion that fits 1/8" motor shafts. I use Robinson Racing Absolute pinions - the wear rate on these is ridiculously low.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAGVZ&P=7

Due to the Jato spur being flat and not bell shaped like the stocker, the motor cover will not fit back on without touching the spur. You have two options here. Run it without one which is what most people do as the larger teeth spit out grit that would be a problem for 48P gears. The other option is stand off the gear cover with 3mm spacers and longer screws - this is what I do.

On my LCG racing rig I run a 32P spur from the AE RC10 GT2 with a sealed gear cover but you first need to convert to an AE slipper clutch with an STRC layshaft which is a bigger, more expensive job.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry for the noob question here, but you seem to know what your doing... why would you want to change the stock pitch? What does changing the pitch do performance wise?

Quote Originally Posted by StarTrekGuy1701 View Post
    Sorry for the noob question here, but you seem to know what your doing... why would you want to change the stock pitch? What does changing the pitch do performance wise?
    Changing the pitch makes the teeth on the gears bigger on the spur and pinion. A 55t spur will and a 14t pinion will make the same gear ratio as a 48p 90t spur and 18t pinion.

As for a slipper unit I run a RR gen 3 32 pitch slipper unit with a 56 tooth spur and a 14 tooth super hard absolute treated pinion. I used to eat stock spurs 1 a week. I have not eaten a spur or pinion in 1.5 yrs with this setup. The drawback is that it is very loud. You cannot run a gear cover with this setup though, there is no need. The spur and pinion will shread anything that comes in contact with them., sticks,logs,grass, fingers . If you have anymore questions ask here.
    slow is fast

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw49 View Post
    Changing the pitch makes the teeth on the gears bigger on the spur and pinion. A 55t spur will and a 14t pinion will make the same gear ratio as a 48p 90t spur and 18t pinion.

As for a slipper unit I run a RR gen 3 32 pitch slipper unit with a 56 tooth spur and a 14 tooth super hard absolute treated pinion. I used to eat stock spurs 1 a week. I have not eaten a spur or pinion in 1.5 yrs with this setup. The drawback is that it is very loud. You cannot run a gear cover with this setup though, there is no need. The spur and pinion will shread anything that comes in contact with them., sticks,logs,grass, fingers . If you have anymore questions ask here.
    Wow, very interesting. Thanks! Definetly will check this out

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by StarTrekGuy1701 View Post
    It's really a durability upgrade. The wear rate is much lower than 48P and the gears are far easier to mesh. The 32P spurs run much truer i.e. have less wobble. You gain a bit of noise of course but that's OK with me - run it loud and proud!

Personally, I would steer clear of steel spur gears, 32P or otherwise. I just don't see the point of them, the plastic ones are cheap and super durable, have much lower rotating mass and provide a convenient weak point in an otherwise all metal transmission. Maybe if you're running 4S+ on some speed run machine you need it, but on up to 3S power certainly not.

RC poster
    so something like this wouldn't break the rules of a stock class only, or should I check with the track first?

Mr. Wolf is exactly right. Steel spurs are bad news on pinions, and transmission bearings. 32p is great for durability. I have it on two of my 1/10 Traxxas trucks and one has lasted at least 4 years of intermittent play. And toaster- I would definitely ask the track first. They might allow you to as long as you stay with a stock ratio. Example 18/86 is .21 in 48 pitch. In 32p 10/48 is the exact same. So you'd get the same torque and speed with different pitches.
    Lock, Stomp, and Steer. No Fear

RC poster
    With the vxl I've managed to chew up gears, the 32p seems to hold up. I think I'll look into a slipper upgrade and all that goes with it. Just picked up new tires, to try and make it stick a little better. The 2wd doesn't get enough love, keep the stories coming, I love to learn from others experience
    In a twelve step rc program, I'm up to six

An issue with racing and 32P gears is the lack of a gear cover. I think a cover may be required for the safety of the corner marshals.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

After the 32p conversion this is how I covered them. Regular gear cover with longer screws and a small spacer. You can see the second one I took and cleaned the surfaces off with rubbing alcohol and applied a very sticky tape with rubberized backing. Both of them keep marshalls fingers safe. Here's the pics for you to use as a visual aid for those interested.

RC Competitor
    I was also thinking of converting to 32p gears. Would 12/48 be about equal 23/86? Thanks

You would need somewhere in the range of a 12-13 tooth pinion to have that ratio with a 48t spur.
    slow is fast

For changing pitches use the math- pinion divided by spur. That'll give you the specific ratio. 23/86=.267 , 12/48=.25. So close.

Quote Originally Posted by SlashServices View Post
    I was also thinking of converting to 32p gears. Would 12/48 be about equal 23/86? Thanks
    12/48 wouldn't work as the two gears wouldn't reach each other. With 32P the sum of the two gears has to be at least 66 (98 for 48P).

Buy a 54T Jato spur and run it with a 14T pinion is very close to 23/86 [54/(86/23)=14.4]. Coincidently, that's the exact ratio I used to run when I raced my LCG Slash with a Velineon.

RC Competitor
    Thanks a ton for that, Mike, I didn't know you could get the ratio that way. Thanks jigsaw, and yes, that would be ideal, but like Wolf said, I'm not sure the gears would reach each other. Also, thanks Wolf, I will probably end up doing this. Thanks for all the help guys. Appreciation
    Last edited by SlashServices; 12-02-2016 at 02:56 PM.