RC poster

Whats the right (or best) lipo for the brushless slash? need some help

Hi all,
    I have a slash vxl 2wd and want to go lipo. First question: will a 2s lipo improve speed/acceleration at all, or just give you longer, more consistent run times? Secondly, traxxas shows on their website a 25C lipo is the appropriate c-rated lipo. should I not go above 25c with my stock brushless system and other electronics? Lastly, whats a good mah rating to go with? I know it varies based on how you drive it, but what kinda run-time would I get out of, say a 7600 mah? thanks very much for the help - i'm totally new to lipo!

RC Racer

Whats the right (or best) lipo for the brushless slash? need some help

The higher C rating, the better! C rating is the discharge rate, which just means that the systems is able to draw more amps from the battery. Traxxas rates their 25C lipos differently, so they could be equivalent to 50c batteries from another company. Personally, I like to have at least 5,000 mah+, but you can get by with a lower mah. (My basher batteries are 5,000mah 50C, and my racing batteries are 7,200mah 80C) Yes, they will give you faster acceleration (depending on the discharge or 'C' rate you get), but the top speed will be about the same. However, NiMh batteries quickly lose their voltage, making your top speed lower throughout your run. Runtime out of a 7600mah could be around 45 minutes, depending on how you drive.
    Just 1 mph more!

Quote Originally Posted by mbshara View Post
    Hi all,
    I have a slash vxl 2wd and want to go lipo. First question: will a 2s lipo improve speed/acceleration at all, or just give you longer, more consistent run times? Secondly, traxxas shows on their website a 25C lipo is the appropriate c-rated lipo. should I not go above 25c with my stock brushless system and other electronics? Lastly, whats a good mah rating to go with? I know it varies based on how you drive it, but what kinda run-time would I get out of, say a 7600 mah? thanks very much for the help - i'm totally new to lipo!
    Don't go below 25c, you can go as far over it as you'd like.
    Think of the mah's as the fuel tank, the higher the mah the longer the tuck will run.
    Most all my lipos as 5200mah and or 5300mah, a couple are 6500mah and one for my crawler is 4300mah.
    Drive time will be depend on your mah lipo and the way you drive.
    A fully charged 2s lipo will perform much like a fully charged 7s NiMh (the one it came with).
    The difference will become clear in the first ten or less minutes, the lipo will stay strong till the end, while there is a slight voltage drop its no where near that of the NiMh.
    Charging your lipo is important, a quality charger is recommended.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    mbshara, good decision. Once you go LiPo, you'll never use NiMH in your RCs ever again.

I recommend getting a good value. Too high of a C rating is a waste of $. An uber high mAh capacity isn't a good value either. I'd rather have two 5000mAh packs than one 10,000mAh pack.

Hard-case packs provide far better protection than soft-cases.

I recommend:

SPC 5000mAh 40C 2S Hard-case $29.
    http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=81

or

SMC Factory Spec 5000mAh 40C 2S Hard-case $27
    http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=246

Both of these brands will provide a Traxxas Connector on the battery for you. No soldering needed.
    SPC is a tiny bit more money but worth it.

As far as chargers are concerned, I say do it right the first time. I have had the Hyperion Eos720I Net 3 charger for years. It works fantastic. $150. Well worth the big bucks.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hyperion-Eos72.../dp/B003YHYX72

For a safe bag while charging, I can only recommend the LipoSack. All others are not necessarily safe. Get the right stuff. http://www.liposack.com/

Lastly, do some research on the web about LiPo safety, charging, storage, etc. The only time a LiPo pack is dangerous is when it is mistreated! Do yourself a favor and learn.

Hope this helps.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    thanks all very much for this great info. I guess my last question is regarding the C rating....will a higher C rating cause any damage or issues with my stock vxl electronics? it seems traxxas only recommends 25c...I want to make sure I don't over heat the thing or damage it. does a higher C provide more speed and acceleration?

thanks all very much for this great info. I guess my last question is regarding the C rating....will a higher C rating cause any damage or issues with my stock vxl electronics? it seems traxxas only recommends 25c...I want to make sure I don't over heat the thing or damage it. does a higher C provide more speed and acceleration?
    No, it wont hurt anything and it will only provide more acceleration if the motor can use the extra power.
    In short a 50c 5000mah wont make your stock slash accelerate any faster then a 100c will.

RC Qualifier
    It's too low of C rating that causes problems. Too high is just a waste of $. 40 C is more than enough for any 1/10 scale 2wd system.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    thanks all for your help! I just ordered a spc 50c 5000mah lipo....cant wait to use it!

RC Qualifier
    Kinda wasted $3 bucks there. No big woop.

What do you have for a charger?

Do you get a LiPoSack?

Where are you going to store your pack?

What's the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
    Obstacle Magnet

Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    On an average it would be 24mph .
    http://style.org/unladenswallow/
    You didn't think I knew that did you?
    T-Maxx, SportMaxx, Slayer Pro,
    Stampede, Rustler

African or European swallow ?

RC Qualifier
    We apologize for going off the topic of this thread. Those responsible have been sacked.
    Obstacle Magnet

At least they are faster than a brushed motor on NiMH's!
    T-Maxx, SportMaxx, Slayer Pro,
    Stampede, Rustler

RC poster
    I have an onyx 235. no good?

RC poster
    ...and I ordered a liposack from liposack.com

I have an onyx 235. no good?
    While far from the best certainly not the worst, it was one of my first chargers, in fact I still have and on occasion us it.
    Double that price and you could have had the best but at least you didn't buy a super cheap charger that going to shorten you batterys life tremendously.
    Lipos are expensive, even when you get a good deal.
    The 235 onyx is ok for the money, at least imo.

RC Qualifier
    I started my LiPo experience with my Hyperion. I have a LiPo pack that is approaching 4 years old and still running strong. Save money and headaches. Learn about the proper care and handling of LiPo packs before you start.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    billy-bones....what charger would u recommend?

billy-bones....what charger would u recommend?
    I have a powerlab6, there just under $200 but your not going to get a better charger.
    I paid $224 for mine but I bought all the goodies along with it, including a parallel bar as it can charge multiple battery's at the same time.
    Hyperion as jvogel has is another top end name in lipo chargers.
    Heres the charger for $175.
    http://www.progressiverc.com/fma-powerlab-6.html
    I have to add a separate power source will be needed, you cant just plug it into an outlet, a 12 volt converter is required.
    If you have no doubt your going to be into rc for a long time its one of those purchases that in the long run will save you money by maintaining your lipos better.

RC poster
    For off roading with my SW3/5700kV system, my 2S 5.8 ... are great. For on road though, the 3S 6.0 ... are best (IMO)

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points; this also applies when a banned product/company name has been blocked by the language filter.
    Last edited by cooleocool; Yesterday at 08:06 AM.